share rss forum feed

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Copyright - are you affected?

I agree, it's very hard to believe that only the Teksavvy customers uploaded data would have been enough to create even those single complete files on their own.

Hopefully those representing the defendants can help the judge to understand this discrepancy. The claim should be denied.

hmph

join:2012-10-23
reply to Samgee

This is actually completely ridiculous. This entire case is based off of Canipre's thought that if you are connected to a torrent tracker and downloading p2p content, then you are automatically sharing full copies of the content in question. This is completely false. Canipre would have no access to be able to analyze each transmitted bit-torrent packet, unless they were simultaneously recording all traffic between each p2p user on that specific torrent. A statement claiming to do this, is borderline insane, considering this is close to impossible to accomplish. This case is a complete joke. Canipre obviously doesn't know how the internet works and has no clue how to do anything other then to dish out pointless court cases and claim to use "forensic" software, that just logs IP addresses. In reality they have little to no proof if someone completely a download or distributed a completed download.

If they are able to accomplish their goals of taking money from us once(with little to no proof), what stops them from doing it over and over?

Someone needs to put them in their place.

hmph

join:2012-10-23
reply to analog andy

This is simply not possible.
Teksavvy does not log all traffic to and from their customers (this is illegal, regardless teksavvy would never do such a thing). All that is logged is the IP address and the amount of bandwidth on the customer side.
At this point there would be no way to see if it was Voltage that was sharing the content or not.

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

Is there a sample screenshot that has this?
Looks like I probably don't but just wanted to make sure.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

said by franklyong:

Is there a sample screenshot that has this?
Looks like I probably don't but just wanted to make sure.

It would be in big red writing.. you cant miss it.. if you dont see anything like that. you dont need to worry.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1

Sound good then .
Thanks Marc

Expand your moderator at work

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to TSI Marc

welcome to what the U.S. has been through. many courts in the U.S. have ruled an IP address is not a person, and have gotten sick of this abuse, and denied this type of abuse of the court system. they have also ruled that holding the account holder responsible is, and i forgot the exact wording, but it's like "far fetched at best". you can look on google for "an IP address is not a person" for more details.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to kabes

said by kabes:

It looks like these are the movies Canpire was monitoring...

Okay, I admit I don't follow the latest and greatest films, but I don't think I've ever heard of any of the films listed. Are these all B roll movies?

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
reply to TSI Marc

I dont have the time to read the entire claim that Marc posted, but I did scan through quickly....

I am not a lawyer, and I can see a ton of holes in their claim

Even better, Im sure that I saw them reference court cases for copyright infringement that even after obtaining IP adress information.... the plaintiff (trolls) lost... and then lost AGAIN on appeal.

what a waste of time and money.

El Anon

@teksavvy.com
reply to A Lurker

Okay, I admit I don't follow the latest and greatest films, but I don't think I've ever heard of any of the films listed. Are these all B roll movies?
I think it's adult films?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by El Anon :

I think it's adult films?

The adult films are down in the US. I don't believe the Voltage pictures are anything more than just crappy movies nobody wanted to watch (they flopped), so Voltage is trying to now make money via copytrolling those crappy movies.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
reply to TSI Marc

Anybody wanna bet that the incumbents are in cahoots with these guys somehow.....

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

Marc, on another discussion someone suggested that you should ask $100-$200 per IP requested by the troll as you are doing a lot of work to identify and provide them ... I think it is a good idea

roostie

@199.246.88.x
reply to resa1983

So have all notices gone out then? Or should people still be watching for them?

hind_sight

@podgorny.cz
reply to MFido

Charging $200 per IP is a very bad idea.

You might think it will be a deterrent for the the infringement accusers.

On the other hand this would be a easy profit stream for other profit hungry ISPs.

Who cares about protecting your customers, when there is more money to be made in selling them out to the highest accuser.

Obviously I am not talking about Teksavvy. Other ISPs aren't nearly as trustworthy.

So just drop the idea. In the long run, this will end up hurting ISP subscribers more.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to TSI Marc

Marc, is there any way to extend this to the reseller panels?

Also is there a way to check this for LAN connections? (We don't have a login for those if I'm right)

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to hind_sight

said by hind_sight :

Who cares about protecting your customers, when there is more money to be made in selling them out to the highest accuser.

This is already done by Bell, Videotron and Cogeco (maybe Distributel & ACN as well from the looks of it). It's a practice already being performed.

So the point and concern of peoples information being for sale is already moot since it's already done. Thing is, no customers from the above companies filed the complaint with PrivCom since an entire section of the act was not observed by these ISP's. It's a claim and ruling waiting to happen and there is a dollar figure attached to that.

It's the "action" of the ISP that people need to be aware of.

Sears

join:2008-02-17
reply to TSI Marc

What is the portal login, I've registered ages ago and forgot.

The usual teksavvy email login doesn't seem to work for the password recovery option.

"We were unable to access your information. Please try again."

Sears

join:2008-02-17

JonF fixed, all is well, but perhaps in the future the password recovery should ask for the email address the user registered with and not the login.

DoBoY

join:2011-12-14
reply to TSI Marc

Has anyone seen this? its an article about the software they used to track the accused

»torrentfreak.com/evidence-agains···-110824/

Seems this guardaley is not too too accurate.

I'm guessing they can only monitor public trackers...

quidnunc

join:2011-03-03
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to TSI Marc

I didn't read about this before so I was a little confused about that email that told me to check myworld.

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to TSI Marc

haha cant login page won't load and that's the account page no so ya everyone should login via this///

funny

reply to Rickkins

said by Rickkins:

According to the portal, I'm not even a customer....

shh thats a good thing LOL

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to DoBoY

said by DoBoY:

Has anyone seen this? its an article about the software they used to track the accused

»torrentfreak.com/evidence-agains···-110824/

Seems this guardaley is not too too accurate.

I'm guessing they can only monitor public trackers...

Not only inaccurate in the methodology, but they operate a hunypot which amounts to authorization to copy parts of the file.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

Please excuse the double post but I wanted to be sure this was copied to Marc.

I just received another email from Teksavvy support which states:

If your IP address is on the list, please email support@teksavvy.com for a copy of your email, with full details.

I emailed them for details at 3:32pm on the 10th with no response. I also sent an email 11:12am on the 11th to the privacy ombudsman, also with no response. With only 1 business day left before the hearing we really need to get answers.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
reply to TSI Marc

what about the other third party isp's - start.ca, acanac, distributel, acn inc.. etc, etc they affected as well

funny

reply to Samgee

said by Samgee:

It's interesting that in their newest submission they admit to only creating a single complete copy of each of the files. So, 2000 people, 1 instance of copyright infringement per title?

What's the cost of a couple dozen DVD's divided by 2000? No wonder these jokers never make it to court.

The new law is meant to target providers of content, not downloaders. Now, if they had managed to download a couple dozen copies of each file from each IP, that would be different. That's not what they have indicated they have done.

no the new law is aimed primarily at counterfeiters and those making money which is why the way it works is judges were instructed to give downloaders and non commercial file sharers the low side of the 100-5000 and ill add its for ALL your infringements

so here is a question to those nailed by it why not admit to everything you ever did and hten you cant be sued later...after all its for all infringements ROFL now that would be funny

i would argue in court ( IAMNL)that as long as im not giving out more then too many copies say past 2-5 then all im doing is giving what i took to be fair to others and as no actual money was exchanged in hands or that can be proved that you cant argue for commercial damages.
the fact they try and say that is funny as just having an ip addy is not anywhere near gonna be enough to prove commercial infringement
thats making money like selling dvdrs or some such even a judge will get on that quick....no money = 5000 max and for a few movies per case they are gonna be lucky to get 100 per movie
up to the max
not worth it in lawyers fees alone....they want to try and prove commercial then take time in court and prove someone made money off your stuff if they didn't and you cant prove it....i'd argue your slandering and defaming people whom are not counterfeiters and perhaps a BIG time class action versus these bums for that aspect of there legal gaming might be worth it

look up misrepresentation.slander and defamtion of character.
ITS one of the reasons hollywood should also stop calling people pirates....its not piracy i had no gun/sword and did no physical harm nor am counterfeiting as anyhting i would have in my possession looks nohting like what you buy in the store. ergo no labels proper not same case or inserts very easy to tell its not original.

id bring in a list of my computers parts costs and bandwidth costs as well as how little i downloaded versus that cost and show its not a winning proposal considering the lack of quality , there just isnt as much worth downloading any more any ways. they are sitting back on 150 years in usa and 80 in canada and putting out garbage filler.

if you were smart youd grab all the tools and stuff to make your own entertainment then just not bother wiht it no more. THE sec your all on vpns and encryption they will eventually ram through key liscensing as in you must give law enforcement the right and ability to look....ya lawful access BUT with a warrant so they just run your name and then spy by watching your key....if you use a bad key you get a charge....

if we don't start reversing this course that is where its going....

and what is a forensics company ? is that l33t speek for some jerks that are illegally spying/logging Canadian citizens without a private investigators liscnese and a warrant?

hrm