Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge

Re: Chevy Volt justification

The sales are interesting, certain groups and media like to claim the Volt is a failure for its sales, which are over 20K now for the year, while it handily beats more that 50% of the cars on the market in sales

»www.forbes.com/sites/jim ··· failure/

Many vehicles get special government tax treatment, like all pickup and large SUV's that can take a 25K section 179 deduction because they are over 6000 lbs, yah for gas guzzlers

On dealer only parts and service, most cars are now that way unless they are in the top 10 list in sales. The days are numbered were independents have the tools are skills to work on any hybrid, or high end car like Audi, BMW, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz. Need something for a Corvette?, no one is complaining that is no different than a Volt in regards to service. Want anything for the Prius or Honda Hydrids, factory only for that as well.

Its sad so many have such mis-informed opinions about a car the was design and is built in the US and is a leader in advanced technology. Its one of the few cars that the US exports, which is has over 7,000 this year to EU in both the Volt and Ampra badge
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

said by guppy_fish:

The sales are interesting, certain groups and media like to claim the Volt is a failure for its sales, which are over 20K now for the year, while it handily beats more that 50% of the cars on the market in sales

Did you see what it outsold? Luxury cars, sports cars, etc.. Most (if not all if you exclude Lexus performance hybrids), hybrids were selling better than volt, so that statistic means nothing and is just something GM wants to be out there.
said by guppy_fish:

On dealer only parts and service, most cars are now that way unless they are in the top 10 list in sales. The days are numbered were independents have the tools are skills to work on any hybrid, or high end car like Audi, BMW, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz. Need something for a Corvette?, no one is complaining that is no different than a Volt in regards to service. Want anything for the Prius or Honda Hydrids, factory only for that as well.

This may be a regional thing, but in NYC, good / reputable shops can take care of most of these things. On the other hand, in NYC a car like volt is utterly useless since there is nowhere to charge it.
said by guppy_fish:

Its sad so many have such mis-informed opinions about a car the was design and is built in the US and is a leader in advanced technology. Its one of the few cars that the US exports, which is has over 7,000 this year to EU in both the Volt and Ampra badge

Built in the USA, great...so is my Nissan and half of Toyota fleet, whereas not counting volt most of GM is made in Mexico or Canada. As far as being a leader in advance technology, What technology? What is the volt doing that no other car is doing or they were the first to do?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

»www.forbes.com/sites/jim ··· failure/

Many vehicles get special government tax treatment, like all pickup and large SUV's that can take a 25K section 179 deduction because they are over 6000 lbs, yah for gas guzzlers

my car is a gas guzzler v6

I get a whopping 17mpg city 19mpg highway filler up with 89octane.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

I'm considering getting one for the wife since our lease of the 20 mpg Malibu is up beginning next year. I personally wouldn't buy one but will lease it. I'm not sure I want to pay for the maintenance and things breaking in 6 years... Things usually break outside the warranty period.