how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

timtom

join:2012-11-15
reply to Geno71

Re: [Rant] Chicago Area HSI: Paying $70/mo for less than 30Mb/s

More likely you are on blast service(70$) it is up to 25 Mb/s.
I doubt you should get higher speed

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to Geno71
I am doubting there is any "service issue" here. You're getting about 25/4 which is Blast! in a lot of areas. You need to follow the advise you were given and simply ask for promo pricing. Only you can do that. If you're not willing to ask then you've only got yourself to blame.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to Nightfall
promo pricing works as long as they keep doing it. It isn't something to really rely on.

Geno71

join:2012-12-12
Antioch, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Geno71
Was going to ask what others paying $70 get speed wise. I was able to get a 6 month "credit" of sorts that reduced my bill about $7 or $8 roughly, but in the end I want to understand their tiers (what they say vs. what people actually get across the county and regional areas).

Do any of you have this same plan / default fee and if so what are your speeds?

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage

2 edits
I've been with Comcast for 9 years and noticed my bill up to $88 and I have the Silver Tier with basic analog cable T.V to get the Silver tier at a "discounted price". I'm getting speeds around 16meg down and 4 meg up.
You mean to tell me I'm paying too much? In my review here at dslreports I reported my monthly bill was $78 which might of been 3 years ago. So in 3 years the price has gone up $10 and my speeds which was 12/2 are now 16/4.
I often get calls from Comcast trying to offer me Digital Voice as the only way I could get a lower rate. Digital Voice can't beat the international package I have with Vonage so no-thanks.

Maybe I have 20meg w/ powerboost now?? This is whats advertised for Performance Tier.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
I always loved the "We raise our prices but we also are giving you faster internet..." talks... What many people fail to recall however is bandwidth gets cheaper every year.

These 70 bucks we pay enough cost them maybe a buck or two tops. While yes they pay to have techs and upgrade equipment etc when you take all the profit and multiply it out they come out banking well. Two months of service from you covered an year of costs assuming your service is decent and you never have to call in (thus wasting employee, aka company time).

I think the US sucks internet wise. It was invented here but we are the most expensive and slowest out of the majority of the world. The land of opportunity and free is becoming more and more limited and unfree. First our internet, now laws. Can't wait for them to start taxing the air I breath and use the excuse they have to regulate it and enforce all these laws to ensure we can breath clean air so we must pay for that...

Would be nice one day to see a nice company with tons of cash do something like google but straight up take it mainstream and force everyone else to be more fair.

Nothing wrong with building a company and wanting to be rich but when you are a millionaire, mullions more mean nothing, you already get what you want.

That said our speed will continue to increase but so will our prices.

I love the fact that on a few months my POWER bill has been less vs internet. Gotta love it.

If you are going to cap me give me unlimited speed, if you are not going to cap me limit my speed but not both and charge me more.

Now that's a rant!

Happy Holidays everyone btw.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
We're on Performance 25/4 boost(16/2 reg) tier for $19.99 first year and $34.99 2nd year. We also got an offer for HD Preferred Plus XF(170 Channels, Blast 50/15, and Phone) for $89.99 first year and $109.99 2nd but we never accepted the one for triple play.

Geno71

Antioch, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
What about the 3rd year? Sounds like those first two are promotional (and is it part of a bundle?).

I need to find people on the Performance tier, internet only, standard rate (i.e. not the 1st (and maybe 2nd)) year prices so I can compare apples and apples.

Also any of you who own the modem, which brand and model do you recommend, and if you buy from a 3rd party like Amazon do you have to have a tech set up your modem remotely or does it just work when you plug it in?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
If you want the standard rate can't you just look it up at »www.comcast.com/localization/loc···3d210178 ?

As far as modems go. Most will recommend the Zoom 5341J. Do not buy it from Amazon unless it's SOLD and SHIPPED by them. You'd probably be better off using Buy.com: »www.buy.com/prod/zoom-5341j-docs···897.html
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to Geno71
said by Geno71:

I need to find people on the Performance tier, internet only, standard rate (i.e. not the 1st (and maybe 2nd)) year prices so I can compare apples and apples.

I'm paying $48.95 for Performance Tier with limited basic Cable TV costing $27.99. If my memory is correct the price of $48.95 is what the tier below Performance would cost but with the cable TV its the bundled package price for Performance.

Geno71

Antioch, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ExoticFish
Thanks for Modem tip, I'll check it out.

Not interested in their price listings / marketing BS. I want to know what actual customers, who have Performance (and no other Comcast service) pay once they've past that first year promotional period.

miamia0

join:2009-04-08
San Carlos, CA
I was paying $60-something for performance (internet only) after promotional period. Called trying to get my bill lowered and was put on $40-50-something (they couldn't get the rate straight so there was lots of price changes/credits) Blast which includes basic TV (I think, don't have a TV) and the internet performance didn't even change; actually, it got worse. Note that if you follow the same path, they may force a cable box down your throat despite not wanting one; some reps claimed this wouldn't be the case; obviously a disconnect somewhere.

Rude service people and forcing a box made me disconnect and they didn't even blink At least I have alternative here.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 edit
Comcast can't force anything on you. All their services are optional. You make the decision.

miamia0

join:2009-04-08
San Carlos, CA
Forcing equipment, not service, even if service will never be used.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to miamia0
LOL!

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to miamia0
said by miamia0:

Blast which includes basic TV (I think, don't have a TV) and the internet performance didn't even change; actually, it got worse.

Nothing to force. If you have basic Cable TV they give you this self-install kit.

baess

join:2011-01-28
reply to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

As far as I know, there have never been 2 competing cable ISP's in the same area. Your only hope is that the DSL provider in your area decides to add fiber like CenturyLink has started to do.

I guess that is true in your area but for at least 15 years we've had the choice of two ISPs. It's like that in many communities around here.

gHiDoRa

join:2002-08-05
Memphis, TN
reply to Geno71
said by CUBS_FAN:

said by Geno71:

I'm paying $48.95 for Performance Tier with limited basic Cable TV costing $27.99. If my memory is correct the price of $48.95 is what the tier below Performance would cost but with the cable TV its the bundled package price for Performance.

paying $44.95 a month for Performance(internet only) but then they raised to $61.95, so phone call to customer service now paying $29.95 for 1st 6 months then back to $44.95 after that.