uniqs

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to Devanchya

to Devanchya

Re: Tim Hortons: foreign temp workers "pioneer"

said by Devanchya:

I have had to look at Foreign workers for a number of positions. Of course in my case it has been for IT work. The local market is VERY tight at the moment for IT and the numbers just didn't add up.

I dont agree. It is just you or others don't want to give money to existing unemployed people. Many companies want the best and brightest but don't want to pay the best. And yes they want smart young people...
I have worked with IT staffing agency in the past and they always play this game, especially with new immigrants. They will have them on contract for years but never offer permanent jobs.

And you forget many many jobs are filled with people someone you know and are never advertised. No matter how bad they are.

I never buy this argument that IT sector has shortage of workers. Always crying about shortages of workers.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot

said by loosedobbs:

said by Devanchya:

I have had to look at Foreign workers for a number of positions. Of course in my case it has been for IT work. The local market is VERY tight at the moment for IT and the numbers just didn't add up.

I dont agree. It is just you or others don't want to give money to existing unemployed people. Many companies want the best and brightest but don't want to pay the best. And yes they want smart young people...
I have worked with IT staffing agency in the past and they always play this game, especially with new immigrants. They will have them on contract for years but never offer permanent jobs.

And you forget many many jobs are filled with people someone you know and are never advertised. No matter how bad they are.

I never buy this argument that IT sector has shortage of workers. Always crying about shortages of workers.

Me too. There are soooo many kids fresh out of school that can be hired. Imo if companies decide to do the foreign worker it should cost them. They should have to be their sponsor for 5years then after that the worker gets citizenship. Foreign workers that great anyhow. My department hired 2.1already quit, the other is nice. Thing is know that bcit has tons of kids graduating in this field.