Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL
kudos:1
reply to gambothell

Re: [Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell

I use the automatic text service that both Amazon and UPS offer. It must be connected to the hand held device the drivers use. Every time I have had a package delivered my phone has received a text the minute he scans it. I have met him at the door most of the time before he has even had a chance to knock or ring the bell. I suggest looking in to this service for all of your future deliveries. It works and it's instant in most cases. I'm not saying the driver wasn't at fault but the text service is free and it works.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to Secyurityet
»www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Sc···prinkler

Set this up by your front door and you will never be accosted by that pesky UPS guy ever again!

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to gambothell
»www.amazon.com/Driveway-Patrol-S···000645RH

Set this up by your front door and the UPS guy can't sneak in a package ever again!

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to H2OuUp2
said by H2OuUp2:

UPS drivers get paid an hourly wage, + OT for any time over 8 hours in one day, + bonus. Bonus is based on ST wages and is paid above and beyond the hours a driver works.

To get bonus you must have what UPS calls a planned day greater than what you actually worked. So If you have an 11 hour planned day, and you work 10 hours you would get. $32 per hour for 8 hours + $48 per hour for 2 hours + 1 hour of bonus at $32.

In this case the driver would make $384.00 or an average of $38.40 per hour by working 10 hours. Now if the driver ran scratch he would take 11 hours to complete his day and would make a total of $400 or $36.36 per hour.

Oh and UPS is more interested in NDPPH or Net Delivered Pieces Per Hour. You don't make the money from stops, you make it from packages you deliver. The only reason the driver would say SPORH or Stops Per On Road Hour is because that is what his supervisor talks to him about. The faster you can get done the better your NDPPH is. However, a large residential route vs a business route with multiple parcels at each stop is the true money maker.

The method of a UPS driver is:

They are also suppose to honk the horn as they pull up to the stop, and as they approach the door call out UPS, then they ring the bell and knock both. It looks like your driver is only doing one of these and not very well.

If you want to get this fixed it may take some time. You will need to follow a chain of command. Start off by contacting the local facility, and talk to an OMS, take down the name and time you called and what they said they would do. If the problem continues go to the on road supervisor (the person who the driver directly reports to), if it still isn't corrected then send a letter to the manager who is over the supervisor. If it still is not corrected then send a letter to the corporate office and state who you talked to, when and what they said they would do. This will get a lot of attention. They will have one hour to call you back once the letter is received.

Bottom line if you have a good driver you won't have a lot of problems, but if you have a bad driver or are on a coverage route then get ready. It is very hard to fire a driver because they are union.

My driver recently did none of those things. I'm glad the Wii U was in a plain brown box so it didn't look like something someone would want to steal. "Safe" neighborhood or no, you don't know what people are going to do, and I'd rather not have my daughter's Christmas present stolen. I was rather irritated. I was at home. The only reason I heard them was because I can hear the noise of the delivery truck making its way around the neighborhood. But the room I work from has no window out to the street, it faces the back yard. There was definitely no horn, no knock, and no doorbell. I purposefully left the door to the room I was in open so I'd hear any of the above.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA
reply to gambothell
Damn, I have an awesome UPS driver in comparison to some of you. He rings the doorbell every time he delivers a package. We have milk delivered weekly so we have a milk box the size of a small cooler on the porch. Lately he's been putting our packages in the box.

Our regular FedEx guy is not as good, but he always rings the bell too.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Oedipus
My friend works at least twice as hard as I do every day. I have no qualms about how much he gets paid as a UPS driver.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

Seems like a lot of money for driving around all day.

They work hard for it, a lot more than just driving around, heck thats the easy part. You don't see many fat UPS drivers out there either.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Oedipus

reply to gambothell
Seems like a lot of money for driving around all day.

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit
reply to gambothell
UPS drivers get paid an hourly wage, + OT for any time over 8 hours in one day, + bonus. Bonus is based on ST wages and is paid above and beyond the hours a driver works.

To get bonus you must have what UPS calls a planned day greater than what you actually worked. So If you have an 11 hour planned day, and you work 10 hours you would get. $32 per hour for 8 hours + $48 per hour for 2 hours + 1 hour of bonus at $32.

In this case the driver would make $384.00 or an average of $38.40 per hour by working 10 hours. Now if the driver ran scratch he would take 11 hours to complete his day and would make a total of $400 or $36.36 per hour.

Oh and UPS is more interested in NDPPH or Net Delivered Pieces Per Hour. You don't make the money from stops, you make it from packages you deliver. The only reason the driver would say SPORH or Stops Per On Road Hour is because that is what his supervisor talks to him about. The faster you can get done the better your NDPPH is. However, a large residential route vs a business route with multiple parcels at each stop is the true money maker.

The method of a UPS driver is:

They are also suppose to honk the horn as they pull up to the stop, and as they approach the door call out UPS, then they ring the bell and knock both. It looks like your driver is only doing one of these and not very well.

If you want to get this fixed it may take some time. You will need to follow a chain of command. Start off by contacting the local facility, and talk to an OMS, take down the name and time you called and what they said they would do. If the problem continues go to the on road supervisor (the person who the driver directly reports to), if it still isn't corrected then send a letter to the manager who is over the supervisor. If it still is not corrected then send a letter to the corporate office and state who you talked to, when and what they said they would do. This will get a lot of attention. They will have one hour to call you back once the letter is received.

Bottom line if you have a good driver you won't have a lot of problems, but if you have a bad driver or are on a coverage route then get ready. It is very hard to fire a driver because they are union.
--
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to Fir_Na_Tine
Overall my experience with UPS has been good. I've only had one genuinely bad experience and one other less than satisfactory. I've used them extensive, mostly as a recipient for the past 13 years and heavily the past 4 years.

My impression or experience pretty much mirrors yours. The neighborhood you live in definitely has an impact on whether or not certain packages are dropped off or not if you don't answer.

The one bad experience was they delivered to the wrong address and never owned up to it. The delivery was lost. They denied everything.

The above being said I've used Fed Ex a lot too but nowhere as much as UPS. Fed Ex is superior in every way as far as service and delivery speed. They usually cost more though.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to gambothell
Most UPS drivers will knock only as door bells are not always reliable. Plus you have until the time it takes for him to fill out the missed you post it note to stick on the door to answer it. The drivers especially at this time of year can have 200+ stops on the truck. So they need to always keep on the move. Everything is about time, every minute adds up. Most businesses can tell you what time it is without looking when the UPS driver comes in. Also they want to get all of packages off the truck, sups hate when they have packages coming back plus it means they just have to redeliver it again.

UPS drivers are well compensated lots if not most make $70k a year with full paid bennies. A seasonal driver makes about $16, Might have been a seasonal guy that was servicing you. Depending on the area the drivers usually have to get back by a certain time to drop off their Next Day Air packages. My area is 8:30pm.

For me they leave the packages, it depends on your area if its listed as bad or not. If its alcohol or marked high value or signature required they can't leave it, but if you really know your driver he might. Packages that they can leave they will sometimes try to hide so its not easily seen from the street. Like behind something on the stoop or porch.

I've always had great service with UPS, and if they did mess up some I'd cut them some slack. Its amazing the amount of packages they handle in a regular day let alone during the holidays and have few foul ups.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Blogger
said by Blogger:

I have a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper on my door that is addressed to UPS, USPS and FED-EX and signed by me telling the driver is OK to leave anything at the door. The drivers in the past have all ways honored that. (Most of the time I am home.)

The FED-EX and USPS do not rush on anything requiring a signature. They knock and wait a bit, even with my door sign.

I have a signature release on file with FedEx. That permits them to leave anything even if a signature is required by the shipper.

UPS never asks for a signature, even for a $1,000 laptop. Maybe I have a release on file with them. Or maybe the driver leaves items that require signatures because we're in a safe neighborhood.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to gambothell
UPS drivers are under intense pressure by their employer and workload to deliver X amount of packages over X amount of time in the fastest possible time. Tremendous pressure.

Basically there are three categories of deliveries. Regular not requiring a signature, something that requires a signature, and something that is obvious to the driver as being valuable.

How they handle the deliveries is often dictated by where you live and the specific driver, (both in terms of personal standards and also separately how experienced they are.)

Commonly for regular deliveries in areas that are subjectively "good" neighborhoods, (for example certain rural, semi-rural, and residential areas) the driver will just drop off the package either with no knock or door bell ring or the knock or door bell ring will NOT be followed by any wait by the driver. He will just leave the package and go.

If the delivery is something obviously valuable or requires a signature the driver will either wait for an answer to the knock or doorbell. If not they usually will not leave it.

I have a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper on my door that is addressed to UPS, USPS and FED-EX and signed by me telling the driver is OK to leave anything at the door. The drivers in the past have all ways honored that. (Most of the time I am home.)

The FED-EX and USPS do not rush on anything requiring a signature. They knock and wait a bit, even with my door sign.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to gambothell
Maybe you should use the US postal service. The postman always rings twice.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to gambothell
Happened to me too. I ordered a laptop on two different occasions and the driver left the package on the doorstep. In my case, they DID ring the doorbell, but I didn't appreciate just walking away in leaving the package, and there WERE people home. I knew, in those two occasions, they weren't my regular driver because he rings the doorbell and then waits until I open the door (the regular driver usually gets to my house around 5PM). The second time, I yelled to the idiot drive to wait until I open the door so I can get the package. UPS sux .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to ebgbjo
said by ebgbjo:

Yep. UPS never knocks anymore. Hell, they barely stop their trucks most days to drop off my deliveries. I am surprised they aren't chucking them from the truck. Numerous times I have been home waiting for high dollar packages and they just sit them outside, in the yard and don't even attempt to see if we are home!

On our Upsers.com website they had this past week about drivers and door knocking, Last year they started the blowing the horn when drivers pull up to a house, some do it and some don't Funny most people are near the door anyways..

Now with the telematics you can get dinged by backing too much, being at a stop too long.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

RobinM
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Lupton City, TN
reply to gambothell
I have noticed that Fed Ex seems to be better than UPS lately.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to BlitzenZeus

Re: [Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell - update 2

I have complained directly just a few days ago,
Paid for 2nd day air, wife in back room as stated above, we are are in our 60's so things don't work as well as they could I guess.

The complaint did get to the driver but it was like water on a ducks back.

Fedex seems to knock however.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to gwalk
You might be surprised how many companies monitor sites like this, and might even respond about customer complaints, however they are usually bullcrap canned replies to get them to get them to take the discussion elsewhere. Maybe if people make enough public comments they will change as clearly telling them directly usually hasn't worked.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to gambothell
Man I sure hope they review the site !

I have a sign "UPS Please Knock On Door" on inside of storm door and all I get is the sound of silence.

UPS has deemed my address as "signature required" because of miss-delivered items in the past.

My wife has been within 10' of back door and not heard driver "toot" his horn. Will admit she had washer running but.... an knock would work.

gambothell

join:2006-02-26
Bothell, WA
reply to gambothell
Well there must be a God. Lo and behold, UPS starting ringing the doorbell last night. Maybe they read DSLReports blogs... Maybe some manager flagged my address. I do appreciate that they now are using the doorbell. Thank you UPS Drivers.

cissado
Premium
join:2008-01-14
Clifton, NJ
reply to gambothell

Re: [Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell

I don't like the non knocking or ringing the bell with deliveries. I barely ever hear the knock. My USPS lady always rings the bell and leaves the package. By the time I get out of there, she's already on her way. I like that. It's better than having a package outside in the rain or ready for someone else to just snap it up.

UPS leaves packages on my back door when I'm not home. That's great. I've been finding myself checking front and back doors several times a day for a couple of days when expecting packages and not knowing if they just left it and didn't ring the bell. It's a bit aggravating. There have been times I see a package by accident on my back porch or even my front door at night right before retiring for the night. RING THE BELL.

I use the tracking and the delivery status is a little vague. I may be using the wrong software.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to gambothell
I had UPS leave a 42" LCD on my porch one time a few years back. It required a signature and they just scribbled a X and left it. Luckily my neighboor was home and called me and he took it into the garage for me.

Oedipus

reply to drew
said by drew:

Hence the reason I said what I said.

Yes I know. I'm with you.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to gambothell
Yep. UPS never knocks anymore. Hell, they barely stop their trucks most days to drop off my deliveries. I am surprised they aren't chucking them from the truck. Numerous times I have been home waiting for high dollar packages and they just sit them outside, in the yard and don't even attempt to see if we are home!

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Oedipus
Hence the reason I said what I said.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Rook008
I just got a $900 laptop. UPS just left it at the front door because no one was home. It was in a plain brown box, so it didn't attract attention.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

So something was stolen in Brooklyn. And you're surprised?

lol, good point. It was an Xbox 360 game I was going to give a friend as a gift.
The problem I had was that on Dec. 3rd when I talked to UPS they said the delivery was rescheduled because of "holiday volume" and it would be delivered the next business day. They said the same on the 4th, 5th, and 6th.
Instead of telling me one of their employees stole my stuff, they gave me the run-around.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to gambothell
Some just ignore the Ring doorbell on delivery ticket. Our office was in a house, UPS account set up as a BUSINESS and driver was to ring doorbell. Was printed out on all delivery tickets.Most did, but one just about said to hell with orders and it was up to the driver's discretion.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Rook008
So something was stolen in Brooklyn. And you're surprised?

What was it, anyway?