spc
uniqs
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo

Re: Trying to print to network printers

If it's working with the generic postscript printer driver, then the printer is using PS (postscript). I see in the default window that when you select the printer it does not find the driver. Have you tried selecting the correct driver for the printer? Also, can you print directly from the OD server?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by kitsune:

If it's working with the generic postscript printer driver, then the printer is using PS (postscript). I see in the default window that when you select the printer it does not find the driver. Have you tried selecting the correct driver for the printer? Also, can you print directly from the OD server?

When I add a printer from the list and choose the correct driver for it, it still doesn't print, heck it doesn't print even I choose the generic postscript. Also I've noticed when I add them this way, aside from not being able to print, the IP of the printer doesn't show up in the settings window of the printer like it does when adding a printer through IP. ...not sure if that matters or not.
If that doesn't make sense, I can show some screen shots of what I mean.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

What's the brand/model of the printer?
Does the printer have a security code/password?
Can you print to any of the HP printers?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
I still suspect all of the printers in the Open Directory server are configured wrong. Can you post the configuration of that printer in the OD manager? Who runs the OD Server?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to brhalltx

Premium Member

to brhalltx
HP, Xerox, RICOH. Doesn't really matter about the model. If you add via IP, those printers will print just fine. But when adding from the list, it just will not print.

A little info though about the RICOH printer... When trying to print to it after adding it via IP, the print sends successfully from the Mac, but the printer starts printing nothing but blank pages until the tray is empty. And will continue to print blank pages once the paper tray is filled.
Now on that one though, I do think the model name is key. Since it doesn't happen with standalone printers. It seems to be only RICOH Aficio MP C2800 and C3001.

(Just so you all know, I want to be able to add from the list so that when an end user wants to add a printer, they can simply do it on their own and not have to depend on us to do it for them.)
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

I still suspect all of the printers in the Open Directory server are configured wrong. Can you post the configuration of that printer in the OD manager? Who runs the OD Server?

They very well could be.
They were pretty much set up as a local printer on the server and then shared and listed in the directory. That's how I've been doing it here since 2005 when they showed me how it's done.

Question...is there any way to have the server share these printers using bonjour? And if so, how is it done?

Here are some config shots...

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Try adding them as a Windows printer, not IP or Bonjour. (Click on "Windows" rather than "Default" or "IP."

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
Do you have a Windows Server or OS X Server? Are your Macs bound to an Active Directory domain or OD domain or both? I would think if the AD server was sharing the printers, they'd show up as Active Directory, not Open.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to brhalltx

Premium Member

to brhalltx
said by brhalltx:

Try adding them as a Windows printer, not IP or Bonjour. (Click on "Windows" rather than "Default" or "IP."

I tried that but, nothing appeared in the window. If I remember correctly, everything was shaded out making them un-selectable.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Do you have a Windows Server or OS X Server? Are your Macs bound to an Active Directory domain or OD domain or both? I would think if the AD server was sharing the printers, they'd show up as Active Directory, not Open.

Windows server. I believe that particular one is 2003.
They're bound to an AD.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by onebadmofo:

said by Thinkdiff:

They're bound to an AD.

If you only have an Active Directory server, I have no idea why they're showing up as Open Directory. Did you install the OD schema for Active Directory on your Win 2003 server? Did it ever work this way before?

What do you get if you go to the Windows tab? Do the printers show up there?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

said by onebadmofo:

said by Thinkdiff:

They're bound to an AD.

If you only have an Active Directory server, I have no idea why they're showing up as Open Directory. Did you install the OD schema for Active Directory on your Win 2003 server? Did it ever work this way before?

What do you get if you go to the Windows tab? Do the printers show up there?

Well none of us set the server up. Our former IT director did.
So if OD is set up we weren't aware of it.
And as far as this working before, we never had Macs on our network before.

Here's what shows on the Windows tab...