A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW

Re: Disable/Remove MS JVM fully in an Windows machine?

said by StuartMW:

Microsoft made a tool to remove their JVM but they no longer make it available for download

»support.microsoft.com/kb/826878

but you can get it here

»www.softpedia.com/progDownload/M···279.html

BTW Google (with GoogleSharing is your friend)

FYI I thought Win2K was the last OS to get the Microsoft JVM.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_···_Machine

quote:
The initial edition Windows XP RTM did not ship with a Java virtual machine 2001, due to the settlement. This required users that wanted to run Java Applets in Internet Explorer to download and install either the standard Sun Java virtual machine, or locate a copy of the Microsoft Java virtual machine elsewhere.

Thanks. I must have downloaded and installed it then. It was SO long ago.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
I recall being pissed when my new XP Pro SP1 machine, in late 2003, came with Sun Java, and no Microsoft JVM, because of the settlement. I immediately uninstalled Sun Java and found Microsoft JVM which I installed. I used it for several years. I remember posting in the Java forum here (yes, we had a Java forum) where we discussed which was better - JVM or Sun. I far preferred JVM.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
Ahh well Microsoft invented .NET to replace Java. Of course .NET is proprietary and applications written for it are as slow as a wet week. Unfortunately many vendors write software in .NET (rather than machine code) because that's what Microsoft pushes.

Pretty soon you'll need a quad-core 4GHz CPU and 32GB of RAM to run Calculator

Makes you wonder how Windows 3.1 worked at all.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Ahhh... .NET UGH. I got .NET before hardly anyone had even heard of it. The first version was STILL IN BETA when I had to get it on my 98SE machine because I was a beta tester for Cookie Crusher (which was the first piece of software I ever bought). Cookie Crusher decided to do a major overhaul of their product and thought .NET would be great to use. I couldn't even continue as a beta tester but that was because I had to daisy chain Proxo and the new Cookie Crusher beta and that slowed my computer horribly. The old, non .NET cookie crusher was not a proxy and worked well for me so I went back to it but still had that beta version of .NET 1.0 on my computer. .NET from the beginning has been awful to fully uninstall and a nightmare to update...and now...all those versions...UGH.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
To uninstall it you may try to run:
rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,uninstall
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
Doesn't help that .NET is so bulky and slows a PC down quite a bit. I've installed .NET 3.5 SP 1 and .NET 4 to test out some programs I might want to use and boy was there a difference in Windows loading up much less using it. Fully uninstalled and cleaned out both .NETs after I was done testing out those programs and XP Pro SP3 ran quickly again.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
Recent versions of Windows come with .NET bundled as part of it. Windows 8 for instance has .NET 4 as part of the OS bundle.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
said by trparky:

Recent versions of Windows come with .NET bundled as part of it. Windows 8 for instance has .NET 4 as part of the OS bundle.

Are you sure Windows 8 has .net 4?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Click for full size
Windows 8 has ALL versions of .NET from 1.0 through 4.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
There's also a 4.5.

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=30653
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Hmmm...I can't tell from using Windows Explorer but evidently I already have .NET 4.5:

"Note: Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 include the .NET Framework 4.5. Therefore, you don't have to install this software on those operating systems."
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Windows 8 has ALL versions of .NET from 1.0 through 4.

That's why you need 1TiB drive now. Give m$ your storage and they will fill it right away...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...