Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

How come my cell phone # receives no spam calls?

Sorry for being slightly OT.

Recently my VOIP number has been receiving increased number of spam calls (5-6 a day). Since I use whitelist and everyone else needs to press a key to get connected this is not really an issue. I do see all these calls on CDR report. Subsequent caller ID check on 800notes.com confirms they are all spam/scam callers.

However, I am on Do Not Call list and all these scumbags are clearly ignoring it.

That being the case, how come I receive no such calls on my cell phone (I do get a spam text once every couple months)? I am curious to know because clearly these are robo-dialed calls, computer doesn't care what number is dialed. And clearly people behind it don't care about any laws.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

There are laws and there are laws.

"Do Not Call" list is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission and/or by State Attorneys General. Enforcement has been difficult, penalties obviously not big enough.

By contrast, the ban on robodialers calling mobile phones is a different law (TCPA) and this is enforced by the FCC. Fines can be up to 16,000 per violation and I suppose that the crooks are more afraid of the FCC than of the FTC.

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
kudos:2

Really? Someone should tell Rachel from Cardholder Services about this.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Planet Earth
kudos:4
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

However, I am on Do Not Call list and all these scumbags are clearly ignoring it.

A few years ago I added a New York phone number to the Do Not Call list. Big mistake. Before I had no spam calls. Within 2-3 days of adding my number the crooks began to call my number 5 - 10 times per day.

Maybe the scumbags thought the list meant Do Call...

After that experience I will never again add a phone number to the spam list (= Do Not Call list).
--
My VoIP News

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

Was that the list where they said to "wait 30 days" before it becomes effective? (How the crooks read that: "Hey, look! Here's a new one. That means we have the next 30 days to call them as much as we want!!)
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Planet Earth
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by NotTheMama:

Was that the list where they said to "wait 30 days" before it becomes effective? (How the crooks read that: "Hey, look! Here's a new one. That means we have the next 30 days to call them as much as we want!!)

Good point. I can't remember if there was anything with 30 days.

I got so annoyed with the spam calls I closed the phone number.
--
My VoIP News

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Publish your phone number online somewhere on an open forum and watch what happens.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Arne Bolen

said by Arne Bolen:

A few years ago I added a New York phone number to the Do Not Call list. Big mistake. Before I had no spam calls. Within 2-3 days of adding my number the crooks began to call my number 5 - 10 times per day.

Years ago MAD Magazine had a cartoon of crooks breaking into cars on the street at night.

One crook said to the other, "Sure was nice of the city to install these bright new streetlights! Now we can see what we're doing!"

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Planet Earth
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by PX Eliezer7:

Years ago MAD Magazine had a cartoon of crooks breaking into cars on the street at night.

One crook said to the other, "Sure was nice of the city to install these bright new streetlights! Now we can see what we're doing!"

--
My VoIP News

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

How the crooks read that: "(Hey, look! Here's a new one. That means we have the next 30 days to call them as much as we want!!)

said by PX Eliezer7:

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Counterpoint to Arne's point --

I've had my home DID (formerly ATT, now CC) on the Do Not Call list since that list was created. And, I'd always paid for either nonpub or nonlist. I never-never-never get telemarketing calls on that number...

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Planet Earth
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

Instead of the Do Not Call list I use a for more efficient system. Callers from phone numbers not in my white-list (Contacts) are asked by an IVR to press 1 to ring my phone. It seems the crooks can't figure out where the 1 button is.
--
My VoIP News

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to brg

said by brg:

I've had my home DID (formerly ATT, now CC) on the Do Not Call list since that list was created. And, I'd always paid for either nonpub or nonlist. I never-never-never get telemarketing calls on that number...

How does non-pub or non-list help against robodialers? I imagine they are programmed to just dial all numbers in specified range like 212-111-1111 to 212-999-9999 (well, maybe excluding cell phone numbers if PXE's opinion above is correct).

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Here in Texas we homeowners have to deal with fire-ants; you put down poison they just pop-up a few feet away a couple of days later. It's impossible to get rid of them. Telemarketers are exactly the same. I block them, they create new numbers to call from.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

(well, maybe excluding cell phone numbers if PXE's opinion above is correct).

Here is some more info from the FCC:
»www.fcc.gov/guides/truth-about-w···all-list

It is unlawful for any person to make any call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made with express prior consent) using any automatic telephone dialing system or any artificial or prerecorded voice message to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, mobile telephone service or any service for which the called party is charged for the call. This prohibition applies regardless of whether the number is listed on the national Do-Not-Call list.

The law does contain an exemption if the phone number was ported from landline to cellular within the last 15 days.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Planet Earth
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by »www.fcc.gov/guides/truth-about-w···all-list :

it is unlawful for any person to make any call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made with express prior consent) using any automatic telephone dialing system or any artificial or prerecorded voice message to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, mobile telephone service or any service for which the called party is charged for the call.

That must mean it is unlawful to call a VoIP phone number on a pay per minute plan, like Callcentric's Pay Per Minute Phone Number.

If VoIP providers charge customers $0.00000001/call it would be illegal for the crooks to call those phone numbers.
--
My VoIP News

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Arne Bolen

said by Arne Bolen:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

A few years ago I added a New York phone number to the Do Not Call list. Big mistake.

Before I had no spam calls. Within 2-3 days of adding my number the crooks began to call my number 5 - 10 times per day.

Maybe the scumbags thought the list meant Do Call...

In a word - YES !

Crooks posing as legitimate businesses subscribe to the DNC list and Alakazam ! - Instant customer base !

Just add that clean cell number to the DNC list and see the fit hit the shan !

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Sorry for being slightly OT....

....That being the case, how come I receive no such calls on my cell phone ? ....

(1) You are not OT - it is YOUR topic.

(2) Fresh Cell numbers usually start out unlisted - best keep them that way - and the DNC list qualifies as a form of listing, as I see it.

brg

Chicago, IL
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by brg:

How does non-pub or non-list help against robodialers? I imagine they are programmed to just dial all numbers in specified range like 212-111-1111 to 212-999-9999 (well, maybe excluding cell phone numbers if PXE's opinion above is correct).

It doesn't. But robodialing is a relatively new concept. "Back in the day" calling wasn't as cheaap as it is now, and the telemarketers used actual lists -- even phone books or electronic dumps of D.A. So "back in the day," nonpub/nonlist helped immensely. It still does today, to some extent...

brg

Chicago, IL
reply to Arne Bolen

Could do that but have never taken that step. Work (I don't have my contacts list on my PBX, nor in my Callcentric account) for no payoff. If I get one telemarketing call in a month it's a busy month...

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to JoeSchmoe007

When I switched to VoIP I got a 'brand new' number with a new NPA-NXX combo - right in between a lot of dialup/fax service numbers (in 2001 those where still popular)... Never had a single robot or other marketing call...
My cell on the other hand get's 1-2 calls a month - mostly the stupid 'this is your captain speaking' type... I made it a point to report each and every violation to the FCC and except for the stupid captain they don't seem to repeat....
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---