uniqs
share rss forum feed

ecoalex

join:2012-12-02
San Andreas, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

Gen 4 Speed Problem Solved

It took 2 weeks,but Hughes techs did fix my speed problem.3 days now so far so good.
I'm getting consistent speeds for the power plan above 6 Mbs day and nite,most of the time 9Mbs and higher (Hughes) and higher using speedtest.net ,(10+Mbs)

I had talked 2x to a Hughes executive;Stephanie,she sent a message to Bangalore to get the lead out,and they did.I had gotten a level 1 tech that said they didn't have enough data so work on,but I had 2+ weeks of speed test data to view.Stephanie saw this and expidited my case.

Thanks to Stephanie.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

Good Luck. I hope it lasts for you.

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX
reply to ecoalex

Stephanie?!? that's the b-i-t-c-h that I had to talk to.. Totally arrogant in telling me that 2-6Mbps is within parameters of the PowerMax plan.

What's sad is I know more about this technology than some executive twit that probably makes $80K+ a year, drives around in a BMW, and lives modestly well. And all she has to do is read off a damn script and tell the customers the same excuses as to why their service sucks.

East Texas

@suddenlink.net
reply to ecoalex

I hope it lasts because mine didn't last but one week. Back to all kinds of troubles. Pages load slow, upload speeds bad. Worst now than before they fixed it. Speed test show good speeds, but it has to be lying because pages won't load.

pablo1516

join:2012-11-21
Malden, WA
reply to ecoalex

I have been away for several days and noticed that several folks had reported a 'significant' increase in speed. When I got home today I was curious to see if I would see an increase in my speeds. Indeed there is an improvement. The last couple of weeks I avg. around 5-8 Mbs (the lowest I had was around 2Mbs). Today I did several different speed tests (HN, speedtest.net., and testmynet) and I am getting results in the 7-9 Mbs range.

»testmy.net/avg/pschrad.png

HN
12/12/2012 17:39:15 6014 774
12/12/2012 17:38:21 3852 553
12/12/2012 17:37:16 6108 753
12/12/2012 17:36:02 8520 844
12/12/2012 17:35:10 6391 845
12/10/2012 09:43:48 7315 688

Speedtest.net
12/12/2012 10:33 PM GMT 72.171.192.61 9.04 Mb/s 0.35 Mb/s 713 ms

This is a good trend ................fingers are crossed going forward.

pvtpilot94
System
Premium
join:2001-11-23
Bucyrus, OH
reply to ecoalex

No improvement here and its been a month of this s%#t
--
HT1000 Beam 23

ecoalex

San Andreas, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

All I know is the Gen 4 customers in the Ca. Sierras,and West in general had their speed problems solved.

We are waiting to see if it lasts.We all had good speeds after the install,then after 2 weeks service slowed.

If it is a software problem,then it will show up again unless it's been fixed.

For now ,even in the high traffic evenings,I am getting an average of of 6Mbs.

Excede is available again for our area but the top speed is 5Mbs.For now,Gen 4 is faster than that during the high traffic time.

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

The problem I see is there is "NO HIGH TRAFFIC". They just don't have all the ground equipment running right.

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX
reply to ecoalex

Well, I had the HN installer come out and check everything. According to what he's telling me, my system is working correctly. No dish repointing needed and the modem is running ok.

It's pretty much just as I figured. Customer's equipment isn't the issue. It's the damn ground infrastructure that's all effed up.

The only way HNG4 is going to redeem itself in my opinion is that come January 1st or within the first half of January, if they ain't got the speed issues resolved, then I'm dumping them as a provider.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by TexasRebel:

The only way HNG4 is going to redeem itself in my opinion is that come January 1st or within the first half of January, if they ain't got the speed issues resolved, then I'm dumping them as a provider.

I wouldn't hold your breathe. Nor waist my time if you got better things to do.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to ecoalex

New products have bugs, but they will get it resolved for everyone eventually. They can't continue to sell service that performs this badly and they know it. They lost customers last quarter. No doubt corporate knows there is a problem and are working to resolve it. They are simply going to make as little public announcements concerning the problem as possible. Public statements can be used against them by competitors and weaken confidence by investors.

It is a shame they are not more open, but that is the way some companies operate. Last I heard Viasat was very quiet about their DHCP/DNS issues on Exede, rendering it unusable for some without modem restarts.

East Texas

@suddenlink.net
reply to diablo1892

I can't tell if you are for or against HughesNet. Which is it diablo1892. What do you mean don't hold your breathe? I hope they are working on it, but they only have to Dec. 28th because the Exede is on sale until the 31st. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to change but I do want my service to at least work. I need internet for college and I have not been able the last week to use it at all unless it is 6 to 7:30 am. That is NOT right.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

All I know is I know them well enough, same goes to some of these others on here.. But Hughes is a tricky one, sometimes its pretty hard at guessing if its fully operational or not. Here's how i'm looking at it: A game company "just" released a brand new game and its everyones been waiting for it, for years. You think positive about it because you think its a great company, well you can't think positive about every single little thing, everyone has a difference in taste.. Anyway, the first day that video game is released, 50% of the company that made that game will already no longer support it or offer any updates on it, few months pass and the entire rest of that company looses support to that game.

Why might this happen you ask? Its all about the money, as long as the company gets money flowing to them, they can careless and move onto a new provider (like Gen4) or a new game. That simple
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

ecoalex

San Andreas, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

I mentioned the $58 Million Hughes got in recovery $ 2x .I told the Exec I was going to call my Senators,my Reps are Republican corporate suck ups,so a waste of time.

We'll see Windows and Mac users have more possible problems then Linux users like me.

It doesn't take an installer to come out to your home to check out the system,they can do that from Brownsville, they did that,and eliminated my equipment.Of course they seem to be looking for excuses,blaming the customer,when in many cases it is them.

They worked on our beam,that fixed it for us for now.Time will tell.It can't be that expensive to hire a large crew in Bangalore to keep rebooting their system beams until they get a permanent fix. Tier #1 Bangalore support seems more concerned they have 4 different identification questions answered.I said hey,here's my san # that's all you get you already have my home phone # thru caller ID unkay? That seemed to stop that sh**.Tier #1 is clueless.They put me on hold i was going to ask them if they had Ghee in their tea,they probably just put me on hold for a tea break.They couldn't even see all my 2 1/2 weeks speed test data they asked for.Clueless.I guess they wanted me to put it all in a Calc page,and email it to them.

ecoalex

San Andreas, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

It's been more than 2 weeks since the "fix".I have near 10 Mbs mornings,and 2-3 Mbs at nite.So far the "fix" is holding.I did have better speeds after the installation,and "fix"at nite.Hughes contract includes slower speeds during high traffic times.The Gen 4 ads are not helping,with more customers comes slower speeds.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits
reply to ecoalex

said by ecoalex:

my Reps are Republican corporate suck ups,so a waste of time.

Curious perspective, given that (we) Republicans were almost unanimously against Stimulus I and II, not to mention all the "free money" crap that followed.
said by ecoalex:

It can't be that expensive to hire a large crew in Bangalore to keep rebooting their system beams until they get a permanent fix.

Clearly you have a thing or two to teach LSS (Loral Space Systems) and Hughes about "system beams".
If I might be so bold to suggest: perhaps consider limiting your criticism and/or comments to those subjects that you actually understand.
said by ecoalex:

with more customers comes slower speeds.

I think Hughes learned their lesson on this one. You're correct that - in the past - individualHughes connections slowed down as their assigned servers populated. But this time - unlike Exede - they are capping connection speed from the beginning. That way - as gateways populate - connection speeds remain (reasonably) constant. Right now Exede customers are generally enjoying speeds in excess of their subscription plans. But - as with Hughes customers in the past - it won't last forever.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

East Texas

@184.20.55.x

Well as a customer who has both HughesNet and Exede. I sure am enjoying the speeds I have now on Exede.

Expand your moderator at work

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to ecoalex

Re: Gen 4 Speed Problem Solved

Exede is using the approach that by giving customers the allusion of getting service better than they pay for, they will speak positively of Exede publicly and people will in general associate Exede with quality and good value. It does seem to be working, similar to what Verizon has done with FiOS. In all honesty though, the performance for every day usage will function nearly identically on 8mbps and above. The only time it really makes a difference is when you are moving large files or multitasking.

Jciepiela

@direcway.com
reply to ecoalex

Just upgraded to Gen 4 and so far not really impressed at all, seem to have speeds close to 9000 system. I called Hughesnet and they sent a Tech out to change the transmitter and change the wiring and no improvement. I pay for max plan and I'm getting the miminuin. Is RG 6 wire still the best choice or is there a faster choice?

rushin2

@direcway.com

Jciepiela,

Same story here except we signed-up for a completely new Gen4 (no prior history with HN). Finally equipment has been replaced, re-aligned, fine-tuned by a technician. No progress...

Our "smart TV" has become a "dumb TV" as through wired line it doesn't receive enough to pull .5 mb/s feed from a news app.

Everything is pointing out to their overloaded and messed-up NOC center. Meaning - their GEN4 infrastructure has been dumped on the same ol' servers.

We are in the process of ordering Exede and eventually dump GEN4. PATHETICALLY unreliable service!