A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Who makes the most popular anti-virus in the world? ...

»www.networkworld.com/community/node/81973

"According to the latest report by security management company OPSWAT, which anti-virus product is now the fastest growing and most popular on Windows PCs? If you didn't guess Microsoft, you are wrong. Yes, as hard as it may be for some of you to swallow, Microsoft's free security essentials anti-malware software is the most popular and fastest growing AV in the world. In North America the Microsoft product has an even more commanding lead (note that world-wide Microsoft is first based onusers with real-time protection activated)..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

No surprise there, antdude.

Thanks for the post.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

OldGrayWolf

join:2007-10-06

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

No surprise there. Microsoft's Security Essentials comes with the most popular OS used on desktops and laptops.

That doesn't make it the best AV software.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Probably because:

A) It's free.

B) It's non-intrusive.

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23
reply to OldGrayWolf

said by OldGrayWolf:

No surprise there. Microsoft's Security Essentials comes with the most popular OS used on desktops and laptops.

That doesn't make it the best AV software.

You are right, but for someone that understands that safe-hex is the most important part of security it works very well.
I have tried a lot of AV's. MSE does what I want and so far has not caused me any problems. Can't say that about the others.
It really comes down to how much effort you put into learning about security and understanding how to secure what ever OS you are using.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

Probably because:

A) It's free.

B) It's non-intrusive.

Exactly, and it is also a quality AV and anti-malware plus as others have stated it comes with or part of so many computers/OS.

How could it not be the fastest growing?

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

I like MSE as well but the 2 pcs I'm running it on I have layered with other security. A HIPS program running a LUA on one and Software Restriction Policy running in a LUA on the other. MSE by itself...I dunno

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 recommendation

Where not in any disagreement. Neither I nor anyone I know is claiming MSE is the only layer of protection you need. On my PC I also run Spyware Blaster, Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes (passive).

All anyone is saying that as a single product MSE is excellent and it is free. But most agree that a single product or layer of protection for Windows is not optimal.

Related to the above is you can pay for a suite or build one of equal security level for free that includes products of which the ones I name are one example of combination or layered protection.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Commanding lead perhaps... but at what cost?
»MSE fails AV-Test, loses certification
»www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/test···]=123698

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium

1 recommendation

Thanks for the timely post. I just finished reading the thread. Good stuff including some key info I had not heard or read about.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

I'm not in any shape or form bashing Microsoft here... but that information is worthwhile. I still continue to use Microsoft security Essentials as things can turn around.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 recommendation

Understood and both our posts I believe underscores the need for multiple or layered levels of protection. Then toss in the other ingredient mentioned by others about what I would call informed or knowledgeable use of the computer is the other variable.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to antdude

It is a part of Windows 8. I would keep using it except I turned off Windows Updates so how to I get definition updates? I don't see any way to do that independent of WU. It should be better designed for those of us who get patches from Microsoft Download Center and manually install them and keep WU disabled. Windows Defender should have a way to update independent of WU.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

You can always get them here: »www.microsoft.com/security/porta···spx#win8
The latest virus definition version is: 1.141.1746.0 | Released: Dec 13, 2012 01:53 AM UTC

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

That's got to be the slowest server in the universe. Fx said it would take SIX MINUTES to download. I tried IE 10 and it is a bit faster but said FIVE MINUTES. I don't want that every day. (I have cable broadband at 20/2).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Click for full size
Well, I have no problems accessing the server and it's responsive.
Only 23 seconds for the remainder of the download and I just downloaded 13.8% in about 5 seconds with 21 seconds left on the download. It completed in under 20 seconds. Although I live in Ontario, Canada. Don't know if perhaps it was the time of day or because you are in Hawaii?
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Click for full size
Well, I tried just now from IE and it was a LITTLE BIT faster at 418KB/sec. But that is pathetic considering I pay for 20/2 on a DOCSIS 3 modem. It should have nothing to do with being in Hawaii especially with Microsoft servers on the West Coast. I got much faster downloads from Avira in Germany (but not during German daytime M-F hours until Avira updated their servers a couple of years ago.

So, it took 2.30 minutes. This was at 2:35PM HST. When I tried yesterday, it was about 6PM HST ....that was the start of the extreme slow down in Hawaii...gets better about midnight. Plus, yesterday was one day after the Microsoft updates release. I don't know if the definitions server would have been affected by everyone trying to get the patches or not.

Sigh. It is my ongoing problem that Oceanic TWC refuses to address and fix. They just throw a new modem and faster tier at me but ignore the underlying problem since middle of August now.
--