share rss forum feed

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to TheThing

Re: Path of Exile

I have been reading a lot of information on the math if this game.

Don't stack armor, its the least beneficial defensive stat.
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to BKayrac
end game maps sounds epic!

David Brevik at Marvel Heroes must be shaking in his boots that a 18 person company came out with this epic game!

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to BKayrac
It seems the Orb economy is constantly in flux. Now fusing orbs are worth more than GCP?
--

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone
Keep in mind, I've never done these, this is all from shit I've read. The maps don't come around until later in the game, afaik.

The maps are upgradable, just like equipment, using "chisels" I think instead of orbs....maybe orbs can be used, too...I dunno. Use a chisel and it adds one of the effects like I listed above.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Koil
Wow, these maps sound like a blast!!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Koil
Awesome. That's what I was wondering.

I know in TL2, I got my ass handed to me a few times in the Mapworks.

I imagine PoE is even worse.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Ghastlyone
I believe it is....also, the more difficult the map (the more debuffs you start out with, or the more buffs the mobs start out with) the better your loot table.

It tells you on the map what you're getting into...i.e.

All party members have permanent cold vulnerability
All party members start with increased health regen
All mobs move 50% faster

That type of thing.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Dissembled
said by Dissembled:

Anyone mind explaining this whole map thing in a little more detail? Sorry, I've never played Torchlight and I've heard about maps in PoE but haven't not gotten that high of level yet. I know nothing about them, how they work, or what the purpose of these zones are you are talking about.

In Torchlight 2, the Mapworks is an area where you actually purchase maps for dungeons and they are consumed upon use. These dungeon maps grant your character and enemies certain abilities (buffs and sometimes even debuffs) and can also grant increased loot, etc. If you die insided one of these dungeons, that's it. You're ported out and have to purchase another map.

I had one map that increased my character's cast speed, while all the enemies had increased damage. Or, you could get a map that slows your character's movement speed while all the enemies have increased movement speed.

They can be extremely challenging, and often times grant some of the best loot.

I'm just wondering if PoE's Eternal Lab is based on the same type thing.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac
Anyone mind explaining this whole map thing in a little more detail? Sorry, I've never played Torchlight and I've heard about maps in PoE but haven't not gotten that high of level yet. I know nothing about them, how they work, or what the purpose of these zones are you are talking about.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Coolbrz
said by Coolbrz:

said by Ghastlyone:

Eternal Labratory...

»en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Eter···boratory

quote:
The Eternal Laboratory is a zone where players can take part in end game content (in the form of the Maps system).
It can be accessed once you have reached and talked to Lady Dialla in the Solaris Temple Level 3 in Act 3 on Merciless difficulty. You can then use a Waypoint to get there.
It contains a device in the center of the zone, simply called Map Device, that consumes a map item chosen by the player. When used, 6 portals to the map are opened.
Each portal can only be used once, and will be closed once you exit the map. This means you can only exit the map with 6 inventories of items. Opening a new portal inside the map will only move the entrance point to that position, instead of creating a brand new portal.
I guess it's similar to the Mapworks in Torchlight 2.

Thanks Ghastly, and yes its somewhat like Mapworks. I tried it out last night, just portal and there is a map device in the center of the room. Drop in the map and activate.

Does it work the same as TL2 where you actually purchase the maps? And also in TL if you die anywhere in a map, you're ported back out and the map is gone you have to purchase another.

Coolbrz

join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Eternal Labratory...

quote:
The Eternal Laboratory is a zone where players can take part in end game content (in the form of the Maps system).
It can be accessed once you have reached and talked to Lady Dialla in the Solaris Temple Level 3 in Act 3 on Merciless difficulty. You can then use a Waypoint to get there.
It contains a device in the center of the zone, simply called Map Device, that consumes a map item chosen by the player. When used, 6 portals to the map are opened.
Each portal can only be used once, and will be closed once you exit the map. This means you can only exit the map with 6 inventories of items. Opening a new portal inside the map will only move the entrance point to that position, instead of creating a brand new portal.

Thanks Ghastly, and yes its somewhat like Mapworks. I tried it out last night, just portal and there is a map device in the center of the room. Drop in the map and activate.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Coolbrz
Eternal Labratory...

quote:

Coolbrz

join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac
I havent really looked to confirm, but I dinged 68 on my marauder tonight, havent finished Act3 merciless yet, taking it slow. But what I did notice, and i dont know when it opened, the Eternal Laboratory waypoint is available to me now. Ive only got 3 maps thus far and havent tried them. The waypoint is labeled level 66, so im thinking it may have opened then and i didnt notice or perhaps it opened when you make it to a certain point.

I may run some as at this point i really need some 5l or 6l armor to upgrade and make some skills stronger, been really unlucky with drops it seems hah.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Dissembled
I'm finding my minions to be nearly priceless for me, especially on solo play. They will usually last long enough and keep a mob(s) distracted for me to cast a bunch of Sparks, move about, and then summon more minions.

But I'm also not using many Firespells, mainly Lightning and Frost Novas.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Dissembled
said by Dissembled:

said by Savious:

Struggling with what?

She was my first character and I think I made the fatal glass cannon error. I have a lot, if not nearly all, points put into offense. A good portion of those points are in minion passives. I think the minions are pretty cool, but they just get wiped out so incredibly quick that I question whether it's worth the points to be spending on them.

I went into the City Slums at the start of Act3 and had a Carrion Queen elite that I simply couldn't get past. She had a second Carrion Queen with her and her ability was that allies nearby do not die. So, they just kept pumping out those damn carrion beetles. I could handle that part, but I was putting out minions as fast as I could to try and direct their fire for even just a second or two so I could get some focus fire on the elite and they were literally getting one-shotted.

Well, first off, you get a fair amount of respec pts, so I wouldn't say you need to trash her yet.

Second, you need gear to support those zombies. The gems i know of are minion life, minion dmg and minion speed I have life and dmg, and they help a great deal.

Third, what attacks were you doing on the Queen? I don't really use fire all that often, I've spec'd out of it, actually, but I still keep Firestorm gem loaded up for just such cases. Anything that is trying to hit me from a distance, gets the same in return using that spell.

Quick Tip: You can change your active spells on your spell bar at any time. Don't use a spell all that often, just don't put it on the bar, but keep the gem socketed, and you can put it up on the bar when you need it and get rid of it when you're done.

Next Tip: Auras. If you're using an aura, do as mentioned above. Flip them to whatever key you want, activate them, and then flip it to whatever other spell you like. They stay active even if they're not on the bar. (They will go away if you remove the gem or dispell them, of course)
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Dissembled
That's what great about PoE. You can run into some crazy champion monsters!
--

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac
Played that same area again with my Marauder just the night before last and never even came across that mob. Kinda pissed me off.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Dissembled
said by Dissembled:

said by Savious:

Struggling with what?

She was my first character and I think I made the fatal glass cannon error. I have a lot, if not nearly all, points put into offense. A good portion of those points are in minion passives. I think the minions are pretty cool, but they just get wiped out so incredibly quick that I question whether it's worth the points to be spending on them.

I went into the City Slums at the start of Act3 and had a Carrion Queen elite that I simply couldn't get past. She had a second Carrion Queen with her and her ability was that allies nearby do not die. So, they just kept pumping out those damn carrion beetles. I could handle that part, but I was putting out minions as fast as I could to try and direct their fire for even just a second or two so I could get some focus fire on the elite and they were literally getting one-shotted.

Never too late to start taking defensive avbilities. Plus that just sounds miserable.
--

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

Struggling with what?

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Savious
Saviouss.... you're going to have to also play Marvel Heroes... it's going to be epic!

PoE+Marvel Heroes = Diablo what?

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Dissembled
Struggling with what?

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac
I'm thinking I may have messed up my witch and I need to reroll her. She's only low 30's, but she is struggling mightily just at the beginning of Act3 which really concerns me.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Koil
Cool, I'm going to have to pick this talent up then. I remember seeing it now.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Koil
Its an amazing talent for elemental witches. I just switch between pulse and fireball for most fights.

I have my added lightning gems on my cold spells. Hit with fireball, lower resist to cold and lightning, pulse+lightning, fireball, rinse repeat.
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Koil
Yea, I took the fire and cold bonuses near the beginning. Basically I alternate between:

Coldsnap/Firestorm
Ice Lance/Fireball for range.

I also have arc for groups far away to combo with fireball.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

When you guys say Elemental Equilibrium, is that a spell gem, or skill points?

Elemental Equilibrium
Elemental Equilibrium

Balance is good in all things, but especially in the realm of magic.
The Elemental Equilibrium keystone passive skill gives the following effects:
Enemies you hit with Elemental Damage temporarily get +25% flat Resistance to that Element and -50% Resistance to other Elements.
The effect doesn't stack and lasts 5 seconds or until replaced with a new one.
In case of an enemy being hit with an attack that carries two types of Elemental Damage it will get -50% Resistance to third element. An attack carrying all three Elemental Damage types does not trigger Elemental Equlibrium.
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to BKayrac
When you guys say Elemental Equilibrium, is that a spell gem, or skill points?

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Savious
I gotcha....was just curious as to your build, as going with 2 elems would seem inefficient without a proper build, so was wondering if you were going that route or what.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Koil
Fire/Ice and an added lightning gem. Also, my witch is only 31.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Savious
So, if you use Elem Equal, you're using two elems?