Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to TheThing

MVM

to TheThing

Re: Path of Exile

said by TheThing:

its open beta

NO WIPE

closed beta is done, at the end of closed beta there was a wipe... you are all set

THE GAME IS UNOFFICIALLY RELEASED, enjoy

Its not that I don't believe that, but is there a place where the devs have said that there won't be a wipe after the open beta is done?

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing

on the PoE website, they had a huge countdown which said:

for example:

Final Character Wipe in:
5 days 6 hours 17 minutes 4 seconds

if you go to the website they should have in the news history "Final Character Wipe"

trust me my friend, there will be no more intentional wipes!

if their servers go bonkers because of overload, thats another issue
TheThing

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
The game unofficially launched Jan 23rd.

It's only unofficiall because its still open beta.

However, they promised no more character wipes.

This happened in GW2 also, and is pretty much the industry norm.

Closed Beta = wipes

Open Beta = no more wipes

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by TheThing:

The game unofficially launched Jan 23rd.

It's only unofficiall because its still open beta.

However, they promised no more character wipes.

This happened in GW2 also, and is pretty much the industry norm.

Closed Beta = wipes

Open Beta = no more wipes

Excellent! Thanks!

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
»www.pathofexile.com/foru ··· ad/70299

Says it in there too just to be double safe.

TheThing

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
right now I am excited to get the Blood Tap ability for my marauder... no more mana required! all abilities tap life instead!

this is so cool, cause right now my support gem gives me life for all minions hit by my cleave

I would like to be a marauder who runs with a crew of zombies... I am not sure this is possible however, since right now my INT is so low

but a 2H melee weapon marauder, who summons minions just sounds so awesome... hope its viable and possible!
TheThing

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
FYI even if you screw up your first toon

you have an account wide bank stash

so all those mats go to your next toon

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to BKayrac

MVM

to BKayrac
How easy is this game to play? Tempted to get my cousin into it, and he really liked WoW. Just wasn't good enough to master WoW. He found it incredibly annoying when he would lose control of his character in PVP all the time.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

How easy is this game to play? Tempted to get my cousin into it, and he really liked WoW. Just wasn't good enough to master WoW. He found it incredibly annoying when he would lose control of his character in PVP all the time.

Super easy, and low reqs, too

TheThing

TheThing to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

I often play one handed o.O
TheThing

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
skill cap much lower than WoW

and no stunlock nonsense like woW

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
Tell him Trinket or GTFO!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to TheThing

MVM

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

skill cap much lower than WoW

and no stunlock nonsense like woW

Then he will enjoy. I will get him into the game.

TheThing

TheThing

if he liked diablo 1 or 2 he will like this

and its free!

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I'm download tonight and try it out.

So this is similar to Torchlight/D3 right, click to move, keybind abilities?

TheThing

TheThing to I AM

to I AM
said by I AM:

Tell him Trinket or GTFO!

if you trinket frost mage or rogue incorrectly its GG

SO MUCH FUN!

trinket against rogue is like being dominated by a big jail man, and waiting for the right moment to shank him
TheThing

TheThing to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

I'm download tonight and try it out.

So this is similar to Torchlight/D3 right, click to move, keybind abilities?

1-5 pots
Q-T abilities
mouse 1, 2, 3 abilities

ala diablo movement and targeting
shift click to stand ur ground and F shit up

the game is what TL2 and D3 should of been, or i wouldnt be playing this game

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I played a duelist to level 8 today, much fun was had. I'm going dual swords. The upgrade tree is amazing.

TheThing

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
put your toon names here boys:

»Path of Exile - Post your Toon name here

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium Member
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA

cyrus360 to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I wish they would allow a complete wipe/respec with all the tons of points and variations. I hate leveling a character only to find out I wasted skill points in useless skill sets.

TheThing

TheThing

there are orbs of regret, which refund one skill point

at end game, you should be able to undo some changes if you trade for them
Coolbrz
join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Coolbrz to BKayrac

to BKayrac
During questing you will get 18 respec points (confirmed by dev in global chat one night). Then you need to rely on Orbs of Regret after that, either by drops or trade for them.

So while it will be difficult for a full respec, some tweaking will be available.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I played last night for a couple hours. It's definitely a cool game. A little different then what I'm used to in Torchlight, with a slightly higher learning curve.

Graphics looked pretty good, sound was great.

Your inventory space is pretty much non existent. You'll be leaving so much gear behind and picking and choosing what to grab.

I set out to kill monsters last night on my Witch and all I had was a wand. I was ok, this isn't so bad. 4 levels later, I still only have a wand and no spells. I finally asked in trade chat when you get your first spells and people were like "LOL"

I didn't know the whole time, your spells come from socketing orbs in your gear :/

So I got a Fireball spell, and some Electricity spell. I definitely need some kind of AoE. Hopefully I'll get that soon.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Right now I use a combo of Firefall (rain of fire AOE, middle click) and Frost Nova (right click)...it's a great combo, as the frost nova gets 360 degrees of mobs around me, if they're close, and the firefall is great for stuff at a distance....both AOE's and kick ass.

Also using Zombies (4) and Spectres(1). I have the Skele gem, but they don't last very long, so don't use them as much, but they are very useful when you're low on mana, and / or low on bodies to convert to Z's or S's.

Now, I gotta say...Spectres are full on badass. When you summon the spectre, you get the base creature of whatever it was, and all it's abilities. (I say base, as this doesn't count for boss, or named mobs, you'll just get the base creature type if you use that corpse to summon). This is awesome as shit, as there are some pretty awesome baddies around that have decent attacks and debuffs, which they use for you. i.e Necro-type mobs in dungeons. Bonus coolness is that it's the same character model, but in a ghostly form. Had a freaking blast with it last night, and hit 30. Loving this game so far.

I played so late and was trying to finish out the leg of the quest I was on, and without giving up spoilers, made it all the way to the end of this temple, which was a ROYAL PITA, only to find I didn't have the final piece needed.....defeated, I went off to bed.

The info provided for the orbs is extremely valuable, as well as the article about how to convert X items into Y...you need to read that over if you haven't, it will save you a lot of time and headache. (Did ya know portal spells can be converted to knowledge spells?? I didn't...was busting my ass trying to get those damn things, while I had 50 portal spells just sitting there....read it!!!!)

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

So where do I get these AoE spells you're talking about? Are they just random drops, or quest rewards. Granted, I'm only level 5 at the moment.

Reading chat last night while playing, it seems everyone is having a great time playing this game, and overall positive responses.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I don't think gems start dropping from mobs til late teens / early twenties, but you get them as quest rewards for several quests that you do. You'll be given the option to choose 1 of many gems. Pay close attention to the descriptions, you could get burnt if you don't.

In general, if it has a STR or DEX requirement, it's likely not for you at this time (though, if that's what you're going for on your build, then of course, make decisions accordingly)

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to BKayrac

to BKayrac
I'm playing a build very similar to Koil. And, coincidentally enough, me and my buddies grouped through the "temple" last night as well but we had all our pieces.

Anyway, on my witch, I have been building her frost and minion also. I have Firestorm, but have not been using it because I have Frost Nova pumped up so much on crack, why should I? My current weapon adds +1 to all frost gems socketed in it and it has 3 blue sockets. It's a sweet weapon.

Gems drop at all levels. The level of the gem will be appropriate to your level but they drop at all levels. They are a rare drop, so you are not going to see a ton of them. The majority of the gems you get though will be by quest reward and most quests will either give you a skill point or a gem as the reward. If you're level 5, you're just about to kill the guy in the tidal area and you will get to choose a gem from a list of about 6-8. Make sure you read the descriptions on the gems very carefully. And as mentioned, also be weary of picking up a red or green gem as an INT guy because even though you can use that green gem now and the ability sounds really cool, as that gem levels, so will it's DEX requirement and you soon won't be able to level it (you can still use it, just not level it).

TheThing

TheThing to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
The gems will come...

I have so many gems right now I don't know what to do with them, hang in there, you will have tons...

support gems are rare tho, and right now at 27 i only have one... wish i had more!

I would of LOL in trade chat as well, because I would of thought it was a troll question
TheThing

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
This game has a very deliberate pacing compared to TL2, I hated TL2 on speed crack pacing, TL2 was way too fast, you could run circles around mobs forever

TL1 pacing was better

also, this game you have to be selective of what you grab, TL2 was loot overload

once you adjust its great... you can ignore white drops in the options
TheThing

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
this game is excellent if you like diablo genre games, better than Diablo 3, and has earned my play time above Diablo 3