at end game, you should be able to undo some changes if you trade for them

Coolbrz

join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac
During questing you will get 18 respec points (confirmed by dev in global chat one night). Then you need to rely on Orbs of Regret after that, either by drops or trade for them.

So while it will be difficult for a full respec, some tweaking will be available.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to BKayrac
I played last night for a couple hours. It's definitely a cool game. A little different then what I'm used to in Torchlight, with a slightly higher learning curve.

Graphics looked pretty good, sound was great.

Your inventory space is pretty much non existent. You'll be leaving so much gear behind and picking and choosing what to grab.

I set out to kill monsters last night on my Witch and all I had was a wand. I was ok, this isn't so bad. 4 levels later, I still only have a wand and no spells. I finally asked in trade chat when you get your first spells and people were like "LOL"

I didn't know the whole time, your spells come from socketing orbs in your gear :/

So I got a Fireball spell, and some Electricity spell. I definitely need some kind of AoE. Hopefully I'll get that soon.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
Right now I use a combo of Firefall (rain of fire AOE, middle click) and Frost Nova (right click)...it's a great combo, as the frost nova gets 360 degrees of mobs around me, if they're close, and the firefall is great for stuff at a distance....both AOE's and kick ass.

Also using Zombies (4) and Spectres(1). I have the Skele gem, but they don't last very long, so don't use them as much, but they are very useful when you're low on mana, and / or low on bodies to convert to Z's or S's.

Now, I gotta say...Spectres are full on badass. When you summon the spectre, you get the base creature of whatever it was, and all it's abilities. (I say base, as this doesn't count for boss, or named mobs, you'll just get the base creature type if you use that corpse to summon). This is awesome as shit, as there are some pretty awesome baddies around that have decent attacks and debuffs, which they use for you. i.e Necro-type mobs in dungeons. Bonus coolness is that it's the same character model, but in a ghostly form. Had a freaking blast with it last night, and hit 30. Loving this game so far.

I played so late and was trying to finish out the leg of the quest I was on, and without giving up spoilers, made it all the way to the end of this temple, which was a ROYAL PITA, only to find I didn't have the final piece needed.....defeated, I went off to bed.

The info provided for the orbs is extremely valuable, as well as the article about how to convert X items into Y...you need to read that over if you haven't, it will save you a lot of time and headache. (Did ya know portal spells can be converted to knowledge spells?? I didn't...was busting my ass trying to get those damn things, while I had 50 portal spells just sitting there....read it!!!!)
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
So where do I get these AoE spells you're talking about? Are they just random drops, or quest rewards. Granted, I'm only level 5 at the moment.

Reading chat last night while playing, it seems everyone is having a great time playing this game, and overall positive responses.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
I don't think gems start dropping from mobs til late teens / early twenties, but you get them as quest rewards for several quests that you do. You'll be given the option to choose 1 of many gems. Pay close attention to the descriptions, you could get burnt if you don't.

In general, if it has a STR or DEX requirement, it's likely not for you at this time (though, if that's what you're going for on your build, then of course, make decisions accordingly)
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac
I'm playing a build very similar to Koil. And, coincidentally enough, me and my buddies grouped through the "temple" last night as well but we had all our pieces.

Anyway, on my witch, I have been building her frost and minion also. I have Firestorm, but have not been using it because I have Frost Nova pumped up so much on crack, why should I? My current weapon adds +1 to all frost gems socketed in it and it has 3 blue sockets. It's a sweet weapon.

Gems drop at all levels. The level of the gem will be appropriate to your level but they drop at all levels. They are a rare drop, so you are not going to see a ton of them. The majority of the gems you get though will be by quest reward and most quests will either give you a skill point or a gem as the reward. If you're level 5, you're just about to kill the guy in the tidal area and you will get to choose a gem from a list of about 6-8. Make sure you read the descriptions on the gems very carefully. And as mentioned, also be weary of picking up a red or green gem as an INT guy because even though you can use that green gem now and the ability sounds really cool, as that gem levels, so will it's DEX requirement and you soon won't be able to level it (you can still use it, just not level it).

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Ghastlyone
The gems will come...

I have so many gems right now I don't know what to do with them, hang in there, you will have tons...

support gems are rare tho, and right now at 27 i only have one... wish i had more!

I would of LOL in trade chat as well, because I would of thought it was a troll question

TheThing

reply to BKayrac
This game has a very deliberate pacing compared to TL2, I hated TL2 on speed crack pacing, TL2 was way too fast, you could run circles around mobs forever

TL1 pacing was better

also, this game you have to be selective of what you grab, TL2 was loot overload

once you adjust its great... you can ignore white drops in the options

TheThing

reply to BKayrac
this game is excellent if you like diablo genre games, better than Diablo 3, and has earned my play time above Diablo 3

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
reply to BKayrac
Only level 6 with a Duelist right now, but, I have that feeling deep down inside that I'm going to spend a lot of time in this game. So far it's pretty awesome. Still taking it in, but I'm very much looking forward to the future of PoE.

Had to logout before I spend the next 4 hours playing instead of sleeping (work in the morning).
--
Cutler @ Jade Quarry (GW2)

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to BKayrac
Well, my cousin and I started playing last night. We played all the way up to Brutus and beat him. After playing for 4 hours, my cousin asked about the long term survivability of this game and he enjoyed the hell out of it. He was concerned with no money coming in, how the game was going to keep going. I explained "microtransactions" to him and I bet they will offer full respecs for $5 or something.

Still, in the end, this game is fun as hell. I played Diablo 3 for 4 hours and wanted to poke my eyes out. I played this for 4 hours and was wishing I could play more. This game is what Diablo 3 should have been, multiplayer with a skill tree.

My cousin is not the most skilled player, but in this game, it doesn't matter. I can carry him pretty effectively. Plus, he is a ranger so he shoots at a distance most of the time if he can click on the targets effectively. I am going to send him a lot of tips and such so he can hopefully become more skilled at the game while I am gone on vacation for the next few days.

So far, I am loving this game. Thanks to those who gave me their reviews.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to pr1mo
said by pr1mo:

Only level 6 with a Duelist right now, but, I have that feeling deep down inside that I'm going to spend a lot of time in this game. So far it's pretty awesome. Still taking it in, but I'm very much looking forward to the future of PoE.

Had to logout before I spend the next 4 hours playing instead of sleeping (work in the morning).

Agreed. I have not had a whole lot of time to play (also a duelist, level 12 now I think) but it's one of those games I think about while I'm at work and watch Youtube videos of at lunchtime. I added everyone in the name thread last night, looking forward to some multiplayer.

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to BKayrac
I'm a duelist with a Bow + Fist/Sword (got some nice rare (yellow) drops so far).
--

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
I'm going dual swords, although dual claws was tempting. Funny you should mention that about the rares; I was only on for a short time last night but found like 4 yellows and left a ton of blues on the ground. Brutus (the prison boss) dropped two of the yellows I think.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to BKayrac
Is there some kind of trick to remapping your middle mouse, and right mouse buttons?

I want to put my Ice Nova spell on middle mouse, and Firefall spell on Right click. I open options and go to keybinds and the current keybinds just stay the same no matter what.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
Bottom right of the screen shows your three buttons. Click on the picture above the button and it will bring up all your attacks / spells. Click on the one you want for that button, etc.

Same for the QWERT keys below that.

Tip: If you swap out a gem, or remove it for any reason, that spell goes away until re-inserted, and the spell doesn't always re-appear in it's previously assigned position.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by Koil:

Bottom right of the screen shows your three buttons. Click on the picture above the button and it will bring up all your attacks / spells. Click on the one you want for that button, etc.

Tip: If you swap out a gem, or remove it for any reason, that spell goes away until re-inserted, and the spell doesn't always re-appear in it's previously assigned position.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Okay, so the spells on the bottom right of the screen are always defaulted to certain mouse clicks. You just move them around is all.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
Right...I recommend keeping your default attack on the left mouse button, as that is also used as your move. If you assign something else, it will cast and not move, or cast and burn mana, etc....you'll see if you mess with it.

Currently mine is

Regular attack / Firestorm / Frost Nova

Summon Zombie / Summon Spectre / Summon Skele / not used / not used

Also, your flasks are hotkeyed to 12345
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to BKayrac
You can assign any of your abilities to the mouse buttons.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
Right...not sure if I wasn't clear, but every gem you socket (aside from support gems) has an ability tied to it. Once you socket it, that ability becomes available to be assigned to any mouse button, and is represented by its picture. Click on the square above the mouse button that you want to change the spell for, and it will show all available spells. Click the new one that you want to assign to that button.
??
Profit
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

Right...I recommend keeping your default attack on the left mouse button, as that is also used as your move. If you assign something else, it will cast and not move, or cast and burn mana, etc....you'll see if you mess with it.

Currently mine is

Regular attack / Firestorm / Frost Nova

Summon Zombie / Summon Spectre / Summon Skele / not used / not used

Also, your flasks are hotkeyed to 12345

Yeah I usually keep default attack to left mouse. I did that in TL2 also, seemed to work well. I can't wait to get some summoned minion spells going.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
I love my zombies and spectres, and coming around to skellies...you don't keep the skellies up all the time , but you can summon them when shit gets thick and you need some extra help.

Their DPS is nice, but really they're (meaning all summons, not just skellies) just disposable tanks that keep mobs form pounding you, so you can AOE them to death.....that's how I'm playing my build anyway.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to BKayrac
Another cool little tip:

So, 3 link / 3 color items are worth a chromatic orb, right?

Vendors change their inventory when you level up, so I've heard. Always check all the vendors for these type items. I just found 2 from the A1 vendor that I bought for 1x Wisdom scroll, turned right around and sold it back to him for the chromatic.
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to BKayrac
Got a gem which gives me an ability called something like "Rain Arrows" (Bow) which when cast, drops a large number of arrows from the sky (~1-second after hitting the ability key) at my target location causing some serious AoE damage (badass skill). Also, love the "Fire Trap" gem (AoE ground effect causing fire + burn DoT).

Loving this game. Only level 10 and I already enjoy it much more than D3. I never even want to mention that game anymore, so that was the last reference.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

I love my zombies and spectres, and coming around to skellies...you don't keep the skellies up all the time , but you can summon them when shit gets thick and you need some extra help.

Their DPS is nice, but really they're (meaning all summons, not just skellies) just disposable tanks that keep mobs form pounding you, so you can AOE them to death.....that's how I'm playing my build anyway.

That's what I figured most the minions would amount to, off tanks that can take a few hits and keep enemies distracted long enough for you to nuke from the background.

Once I get my controls all mapped out and feel a little more comfortable, I'll have a better time playing. Torchlight was/is the same way for me. It was real awkward at first until I finally got down which spells felt right on which keys.

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by Ghastlyone See Profile

Once I get my controls all mapped out and feel a little more comfortable, I'll have a better time playing. Torchlight was/is the same way for me. It was real awkward at first until I finally got down which spells felt right on which keys.

:

I'm the same way. Felt very akward when I first started this game up. Now it's muuuuuch improved.
--

TheThing

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to BKayrac
Right now we have 3 threads for Path of Exile:

Path of Exile - General (this one)
Path of Exile - Tips and Strategy »Path of Exile - Guide and Tips
Path of Exile - Toon names »Path of Exile - Post your Toon name here

i want to create a thread for:

Path of Exile - post your gear for trade here

as a marauder, I am coming across gear that I don't want or need, that is pretty epic for other classes

do you think this would be good for another thread, or is this overkill?

as dslrers, we could help one another

setting a minimum level on gear posted could help

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to BKayrac
So far the only thing I don't really like is the party stuff. I created a party this morning to go kill Brutus and while running through the place had a hell of a time keeping track of the other people in my party. I think its the narrow field of view that makes it hard, specially for people like me who just have to smash every box and barrel in a room. I tend to get left behind.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
reply to BKayrac

Re: Beast

I gained about 4 new abilities (7 in total) from gem drops.

Level 14 Duelist with a Bow as my primary and dual daggers as secondary.

Bow has AoE Hellfire, AoE Arrows, AoE Fire Trap

Also have an AoE CC in "Freeze Mine" (I plant + detonate) and an AoE knockdown in "Shockwave Totem"

Character is destroying things while kiting. Started putting some points into resistances.

This fucking game rox
--
GW2 - Cutler, PoE - Cutlerbeast