Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

1 edit

pr1mo to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac

Re: Path of Exile

Only level 6 with a Duelist right now, but, I have that feeling deep down inside that I'm going to spend a lot of time in this game. So far it's pretty awesome. Still taking it in, but I'm very much looking forward to the future of PoE.

Had to logout before I spend the next 4 hours playing instead of sleeping (work in the morning).

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to BKayrac

MVM

to BKayrac
Well, my cousin and I started playing last night. We played all the way up to Brutus and beat him. After playing for 4 hours, my cousin asked about the long term survivability of this game and he enjoyed the hell out of it. He was concerned with no money coming in, how the game was going to keep going. I explained "microtransactions" to him and I bet they will offer full respecs for $5 or something.

Still, in the end, this game is fun as hell. I played Diablo 3 for 4 hours and wanted to poke my eyes out. I played this for 4 hours and was wishing I could play more. This game is what Diablo 3 should have been, multiplayer with a skill tree.

My cousin is not the most skilled player, but in this game, it doesn't matter. I can carry him pretty effectively. Plus, he is a ranger so he shoots at a distance most of the time if he can click on the targets effectively. I am going to send him a lot of tips and such so he can hopefully become more skilled at the game while I am gone on vacation for the next few days.

So far, I am loving this game. Thanks to those who gave me their reviews.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to pr1mo

Premium Member

to pr1mo
said by pr1mo:

Only level 6 with a Duelist right now, but, I have that feeling deep down inside that I'm going to spend a lot of time in this game. So far it's pretty awesome. Still taking it in, but I'm very much looking forward to the future of PoE.

Had to logout before I spend the next 4 hours playing instead of sleeping (work in the morning).

Agreed. I have not had a whole lot of time to play (also a duelist, level 12 now I think) but it's one of those games I think about while I'm at work and watch Youtube videos of at lunchtime. I added everyone in the name thread last night, looking forward to some multiplayer.

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I'm a duelist with a Bow + Fist/Sword (got some nice rare (yellow) drops so far).

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I'm going dual swords, although dual claws was tempting. Funny you should mention that about the rares; I was only on for a short time last night but found like 4 yellows and left a ton of blues on the ground. Brutus (the prison boss) dropped two of the yellows I think.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Is there some kind of trick to remapping your middle mouse, and right mouse buttons?

I want to put my Ice Nova spell on middle mouse, and Firefall spell on Right click. I open options and go to keybinds and the current keybinds just stay the same no matter what.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Bottom right of the screen shows your three buttons. Click on the picture above the button and it will bring up all your attacks / spells. Click on the one you want for that button, etc.

Same for the QWERT keys below that.

Tip: If you swap out a gem, or remove it for any reason, that spell goes away until re-inserted, and the spell doesn't always re-appear in it's previously assigned position.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Koil:

Bottom right of the screen shows your three buttons. Click on the picture above the button and it will bring up all your attacks / spells. Click on the one you want for that button, etc.

Tip: If you swap out a gem, or remove it for any reason, that spell goes away until re-inserted, and the spell doesn't always re-appear in it's previously assigned position.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Okay, so the spells on the bottom right of the screen are always defaulted to certain mouse clicks. You just move them around is all.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Right...I recommend keeping your default attack on the left mouse button, as that is also used as your move. If you assign something else, it will cast and not move, or cast and burn mana, etc....you'll see if you mess with it.

Currently mine is

Regular attack / Firestorm / Frost Nova

Summon Zombie / Summon Spectre / Summon Skele / not used / not used

Also, your flasks are hotkeyed to 12345

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
You can assign any of your abilities to the mouse buttons.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Right...not sure if I wasn't clear, but every gem you socket (aside from support gems) has an ability tied to it. Once you socket it, that ability becomes available to be assigned to any mouse button, and is represented by its picture. Click on the square above the mouse button that you want to change the spell for, and it will show all available spells. Click the new one that you want to assign to that button.
??
Profit

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

Right...I recommend keeping your default attack on the left mouse button, as that is also used as your move. If you assign something else, it will cast and not move, or cast and burn mana, etc....you'll see if you mess with it.

Currently mine is

Regular attack / Firestorm / Frost Nova

Summon Zombie / Summon Spectre / Summon Skele / not used / not used

Also, your flasks are hotkeyed to 12345

Yeah I usually keep default attack to left mouse. I did that in TL2 also, seemed to work well. I can't wait to get some summoned minion spells going.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I love my zombies and spectres, and coming around to skellies...you don't keep the skellies up all the time , but you can summon them when shit gets thick and you need some extra help.

Their DPS is nice, but really they're (meaning all summons, not just skellies) just disposable tanks that keep mobs form pounding you, so you can AOE them to death.....that's how I'm playing my build anyway.
Koil

Koil to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Another cool little tip:

So, 3 link / 3 color items are worth a chromatic orb, right?

Vendors change their inventory when you level up, so I've heard. Always check all the vendors for these type items. I just found 2 from the A1 vendor that I bought for 1x Wisdom scroll, turned right around and sold it back to him for the chromatic.

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Got a gem which gives me an ability called something like "Rain Arrows" (Bow) which when cast, drops a large number of arrows from the sky (~1-second after hitting the ability key) at my target location causing some serious AoE damage (badass skill). Also, love the "Fire Trap" gem (AoE ground effect causing fire + burn DoT).

Loving this game. Only level 10 and I already enjoy it much more than D3. I never even want to mention that game anymore, so that was the last reference.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

I love my zombies and spectres, and coming around to skellies...you don't keep the skellies up all the time , but you can summon them when shit gets thick and you need some extra help.

Their DPS is nice, but really they're (meaning all summons, not just skellies) just disposable tanks that keep mobs form pounding you, so you can AOE them to death.....that's how I'm playing my build anyway.

That's what I figured most the minions would amount to, off tanks that can take a few hits and keep enemies distracted long enough for you to nuke from the background.

Once I get my controls all mapped out and feel a little more comfortable, I'll have a better time playing. Torchlight was/is the same way for me. It was real awkward at first until I finally got down which spells felt right on which keys.

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone See Profile

Once I get my controls all mapped out and feel a little more comfortable, I'll have a better time playing. Torchlight was/is the same way for me. It was real awkward at first until I finally got down which spells felt right on which keys.

:

I'm the same way. Felt very akward when I first started this game up. Now it's muuuuuch improved.

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

1 edit

1 recommendation

TheThing to BKayrac

to BKayrac
Right now we have 3 threads for Path of Exile:

Path of Exile - General (this one)
Path of Exile - Tips and Strategy »Path of Exile - Guide and Tips
Path of Exile - Toon names »Path of Exile - Post your Toon name here

i want to create a thread for:

Path of Exile - post your gear for trade here

as a marauder, I am coming across gear that I don't want or need, that is pretty epic for other classes

do you think this would be good for another thread, or is this overkill?

as dslrers, we could help one another

setting a minimum level on gear posted could help

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
So far the only thing I don't really like is the party stuff. I created a party this morning to go kill Brutus and while running through the place had a hell of a time keeping track of the other people in my party. I think its the narrow field of view that makes it hard, specially for people like me who just have to smash every box and barrel in a room. I tend to get left behind.

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

1 edit

pr1mo to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac

Re: Beast

I gained about 4 new abilities (7 in total) from gem drops.

Level 14 Duelist with a Bow as my primary and dual daggers as secondary.

Bow has AoE Hellfire, AoE Arrows, AoE Fire Trap

Also have an AoE CC in "Freeze Mine" (I plant + detonate) and an AoE knockdown in "Shockwave Totem"

Character is destroying things while kiting. Started putting some points into resistances.

This fucking game rox

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac

Re: Path of Exile

I'm level 9 so far. I didn't get the play much last night. Once I get a hang of the loot system, then the game might not feel as intimidating. There's probably going to be a certain point where it all just "clicks" and makes sense.

The map. It functions. That's about it. It looks like garbage and is hard to see at times depending what type lighting you're standing in.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

The map. It functions. That's about it. It looks like garbage and is hard to see at times depending what type lighting you're standing in.

Our friend Koil See Profile pointed out to me the other night that you can enable a minimap in options, as well as play with the transparency of the main map. The minimap helped me immensely.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

said by Ghastlyone:

Our friend Koil See Profile pointed out to me the other night that you can enable a minimap in options, as well as play with the transparency of the main map. The minimap helped me immensely.

Yeah I enabled the mini map also. It isn't much better. It's not a game breaker for me by any means. I just think they should have spent a few more minutes on developing an overall better map. It literally looks like they spent about 5 minutes on it.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I thought about the same. Like you said; it's functional but that's about it. I prer a map tab and minimap to an overlay like that. But it's not a deal breaker for me either, far from it. Loving the game and haven't paid a red cent for it so far. Makes me wonder why Blizz took all that time with D3, released at full price, and still broke their game with a RMAH. This game does it better with no cover charge and cosmetic microtransactions.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to BKayrac

to BKayrac
What is this game exactly? A Diablo clone, but better?

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium Member
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN

MemphisPCGuy to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
I actually thought the mini-map was more "realistic" than a fully visualized god view of the entire area. Of course, I also assume this game takes place BGE (before Google Earth)

But Im still trying to get over the FarCry 3 GTA IV minimap monstrosity on the consoles.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I just went through the prison and fought Brutus. What an awesome dungeon. Straight up creepy.

I can tell the Necromancer type mobs are going to be a pain in the ass later in the game. They constantly bring dead enemies back to life until you dispatch the Necro himself. I found that casting Ice Novas on these resurrected mobs until I got a Freezing Pulse worked well. The frozen enemies that shattered into pieces could not be brought back to life by the Necro.

So keep that in mind.

I finally got my summoned skellies. These are going to be invaluable, they hold aggro most the time, just long enough for me to cast some spells from the background.

pr1mo
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Running around through the prison I couldn't help but feel very much like "inside" the dungeon. Very awesome graphic detail, especially the ambient noise. Great design, IMO.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

It definitely has a creepy feel to it. There is so much detail put into that place. Even the blood trails on the floor shimmered in the light.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to MemphisPCGuy

Premium Member

to MemphisPCGuy
said by MemphisPCGuy:

I actually thought the mini-map was more "realistic" than a fully visualized god view of the entire area.

It's growing on me a little bit. It serves it's purpose and gets the job done.