uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to BKayrac

Re: Path of Exile

I played the beta before Diablo 3 came out and it (understandably) still had a lot of bugs so I put it aside. It definitely looks good, but I think I am going to wait for the release.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

so far I haven't seen any bugs

my only critique would be the animations are not as smooth and crisp vs. diablo 3

and diablo 3 play control is still probably tighter overall, however

the premise, flask/mana jar usage, gem/skill leveling, grouping, skill tree are all better than diablo 3

when you get an item in PoE it matters, unlike Diablo 3 where you grind to buy your shit off of the AH

TheThing

reply to BKayrac

the game already has an armory too, lol pretty awesome

i can view my toon online

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

As if we don't have enough options already.

Path of Exile enters OPEN BETA January 24th, 2013!

All characters from Closed Beta will be wiped.

Open Beta characters will never be wiped

played this last night, and I initially wanted to play for only 20 minutes... 1.5 hours later!

this game is awesome, they have already improved some animations from when I first started trying it

the true successor to Diablo 2

FREE TO GET, FREE TO PLAY at launch

a must play for any Diablo 2 enthusiast! that means you Saviouss!

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

This is not a lobby game like Diablo 3 or Diablo 2.

This is a one world game, where you can see other players in Towns/Cities.

When you leave town you enter your own World instance. And if you are in a group, then your group shares the instance.

just awesome, the community is much better than Diablo

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

Can you mix builds? I thought that was awesome with Titan Quest.

TheThing

I think the massive talent tree (like 400 nodes) does allow for something of that nature, but not 100% sure

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

Can you mix builds? I thought that was awesome with Titan Quest.

if you look at the talent tree, you can do whatever you want

that being said, spells/abilities are all based on 'gems' that are placed in your items, so as long as the socket is the proper color, and you have the required str/dex/int you can use ANY spell/ability in the game

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I was looking over the talent tree/nodes last night

and correct me if I'm wrong but it appears every class shares the same talent tree

however, each class starts at a different location on the tree that makes most sense for the class

as a warrior I can start grabbing magician traits, if I branch over far enough and get to that area

right now I'm specializing on 2H melee weapons

not going to put too much time into the game however, until open beta, when wipes are done

BKayrac
Premium
Madison, WI

said by TheThing:

I was looking over the talent tree/nodes last night

and correct me if I'm wrong but it appears every class shares the same talent tree

however, each class starts at a different location on the tree that makes most sense for the class

as a warrior I can start grabbing magician traits, if I branch over far enough and get to that area

right now I'm specializing on 2H melee weapons

not going to put too much time into the game however, until open beta, when wipes are done

correct

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

This goes into Open Beta tomorrow, Jan 23rd

Which is basically it's unofficiall launch!

GW2+PoE will be my main games!

PoE will be my diablo type go-to game... at least till Marvel Heroes comes out!

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

Whoa...I'm off work tomorrow. haha. Do I need a key or just sign up?

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I think you just sign up... but not 100% sure...

be warned... this is like a hardcore Diablo 2 type game

if my memory serves me, you didn't like diablo type games

you should still try it tho!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to BKayrac

Now this looks interesting, I may download it this week and play it this weekend after I get done with my coding homework. I'm sure I'll love it.

Anyone know the system reqs? I got a bro with a craptop(SB pentium and hd2000, 4GB ddr3 ram) who is always looking for a new f2p game he can run.

Ast1

@213.152.245.x
reply to BKayrac

Been playing his over the weekend with the wife. It is a lot of fun. Anyone who enjoyed the Diablo games will like it. If you don't like Diablo then you won't like this.

It's a cross between Diablo 1 & 2 which is why I like it alot. I did not like D2 all that much because it had lost the claustrophobic feeling of D1. This game has a better mix of overground and tight underground space.

The skill tree is a lot of fun - I never thought I would put so much thought into my builds with an Action RPG, but I love theorising and making different builds. The skill tree is very Final Fantasy (I think 10 if I remember rightly)

The biggest improvements to me is the Flask system for healing as mentioned by others, but also the Orb system - you buy and sll with these, but more importantly they can be used to make normal items magic or rare, to change magic properties on items, improve quality of items, change gem slots add gem slots, link gemslots. There is a lot you can do!

Even if you find yourself getting bored of these games after a first run through, thanks to the game being totally F2P, you may as well donload and play for as long as you enjoy it.

The world works very much like Guild Wars 1 did - in towns you see and interact with players, yet when you adventure you are in your own instance (though you can still see global and trade chat if you wish)

It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it does fie tune things very well. It's especially fun with friends, partcularly when loot drops for you as there is a timer which once runs out anyone can loot so it is funny racing towards an item before your loitering friend nicks it!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

This goes into Open Beta tomorrow, Jan 23rd

Which is basically it's unofficiall launch!

GW2+PoE will be my main games!

PoE will be my diablo type go-to game... at least till Marvel Heroes comes out!

Link: »www.tomshardware.com/news/Path-o···657.html
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

Yeah. I'm not too big on clicking games. I did enjoy Titans Quest though because you could mix classes and that was awesome.

TheThing

reply to BKayrac

this game is awesome! and I love the pace and gear

I'm just so addicted to GW2 right now, its hard to find time

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to BKayrac

Right now I have mixed feelings about the game.I'm enjoying it but not loving it yet.I'm glad that its free because I can't really afford to buy at this time.I've only bought maybe 2/3 games all year.
I finding it hard to get use to the economy with not gold in it.After playing so many games that follow the old Dungeons and Dragons type rules this game goes in a different direction.It takes getting use to.
Right now I have 2 characters around level 14 and its still kind of boring slogging away with not much really good finds.I guess it will be like Diablo where the good spells and better stuff that drops seem to start after level 30.Has anyone played with a higher level character and found it starts opening up ?

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

gear in PoE will have a little more meaning than gear in Diablo 3 for example

right now I'm high teens on my marauder and I have 4 rares(yellows), and 1 legendary slippers (brown)

you can trade in global chat to get items that you want

so far im liking it a lot, nice change of pace from gw2

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

So this is now free to get? Is this on Steam or Origins or do you download from their site?

Ast1

@213.152.245.x
reply to BKayrac

Yes, it is now free to get.

I am acually a big fan of the no Gold economy. It makes no real difference when purchasing off the vendor as other items are esentially Gold substitute.

But when trading with players, unlike typical games where an item may be 100,000 Gold, in this it may just be a rare orb drop, or just a lot of uncommon ones - because its what a player actually needs, this means that even as a low lvl player, or just a player not that good at farming for cash (I know plenty who are poor in every game they play) you may actually have the items required.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

Path of Exile is superior to Diablo 3 in most ways:

- MMO basically, shared towns, group instanced outside world
- IT IS NOT an auction house game like Diablo 3, powerful items have meaning
- No currency

in diablo 3 I grinded, and when things got tough I just purchased OP gear from the AH... this will not work in Path of Exil

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to BKayrac

I cant take the FOV in path of exile. It's zoomed in way too close.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

it's supposed to be similar to Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

Also, similar to Starcraft 2, your Field of View SIZE is very deliberate.

The developer only wants you to take in so much at a time.

The reasoning behind this becomes more evident in dungeons in this game, where its dark and shadowy, and you do not know what lurks around the corner.

A larger FOV in this game would not make sense in dungeons, since your vision in dungeons is VERY limited. But it sets the desired creepy atmosphere. LIke anything else it takes some adjustment.

but i can see jumping from D3 to this could give you that impression

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to Fishead1

said by Fishead1:

Right now I have mixed feelings about the game.I'm enjoying it but not loving it yet.I'm glad that its free because I can't really afford to buy at this time.I've only bought maybe 2/3 games all year.
I finding it hard to get use to the economy with not gold in it.After playing so many games that follow the old Dungeons and Dragons type rules this game goes in a different direction.It takes getting use to.
Right now I have 2 characters around level 14 and its still kind of boring slogging away with not much really good finds.I guess it will be like Diablo where the good spells and better stuff that drops seem to start after level 30.Has anyone played with a higher level character and found it starts opening up ?

The game really starts to shine around level 31+ when you start to gather more skill/support gems. I've got a 52 witch summoner that is a blast to play.

The game is great, the first beginning levels get pretty stale but playing hardcore helps keep the tension up. It's also alot more fun if you have people to play with.

That said, it is open BETA. Constant crashes and roll backs are pretty common. This weekend has been plagued with disconnects out the ass, causing people to re run zones multiple times to find a waypoint or complete a quest. Also the bug that moves your HC characters to default really sucks ass. They've been trying to fix the disconnects all weekend so props to them.

Other than that the game is pretty addicting, trying to find a new combination of skills is cool. The uniques are lackluster and I seriously think finding linked sockets is priority. The art style needs some help, being level 50+ and not having pants is just seriously retarded. And the armor styles are just the same at level 1 as they are at 50.

I'd recommend playing it if you like Diablo 2 type games, it definetly has the feel that Diablo 3 shouldve been. Can't wait for this game to be completed.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I've already seen a big improvement from Closed Beta to Open Beta. It will only get better.

is game progression as follows Gundy?

Beat Normal -> Then Beat Cruel -> then Beat Merciless?

then after Merciless you can kick off dungeons at difficulty settings you choose?

can you confirm this?

BKayrac
Premium
Madison, WI
reply to Gundy

Brother Laz is helping to design atleast some of the uniques in the game

if you don't know who that is, he is the guy who gave us median XL......i guarantee not all uniques are lackluster with him designing many of them :P

TheThing

many of the microtransaction upgrades are awesome

- a crown of iceicles
- a halo
- flaming swords, modified looking spell affects... VERY VERY COOL

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

Started the download before bed last night. Plan on putting a few hours on it tonight to check it out.