Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Nightfall

Re: Path of Exile

Well Night, they say everyone screws up their first character. I suppose you may be different, but that's what the say. I know I feel like I did.

Instead of racing one guy forward, you may want to take all the other classes to at least 10 or so and see what you think. The biggest consensus appears to be that people screw up and don't take enough defensive abilities.

And every class is viable. Have you not looked at that skill tree? lol

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by Dissembled:

Well Night, they say everyone screws up their first character. I suppose you may be different, but that's what the say. I know I feel like I did.

Instead of racing one guy forward, you may want to take all the other classes to at least 10 or so and see what you think. The biggest consensus appears to be that people screw up and don't take enough defensive abilities.

And every class is viable. Have you not looked at that skill tree? lol

Its not the viability of the class that I question, its the viability of the skill tree. Just makes you wonder if certain skills are more viable than others in end game.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN

said by Nightfall:

Just makes you wonder if certain skills are more viable than others in end game.

Well now, that's certainly something to consider. Is any one skill "unviable"? I wouldn't say that but there are things you start screwing up on like stacking too much of one thing or taking a major skill that you don't properly support with other passives, etc.

I like this skill system kinda like I enjoyed Rift's because there is no "cookie cutter" answer to be had here. Can you screw your guy up? Sure as hell can. Oh well, live and learn and try again. Believe it or not, I like that to some extent.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by Dissembled:

said by Nightfall:

Just makes you wonder if certain skills are more viable than others in end game.

Well now, that's certainly something to consider. Is any one skill "unviable"? I wouldn't say that but there are things you start screwing up on like stacking too much of one thing or taking a major skill that you don't properly support with other passives, etc.

I like this skill system kinda like I enjoyed Rift's because there is no "cookie cutter" answer to be had here. Can you screw your guy up? Sure as hell can. Oh well, live and learn and try again. Believe it or not, I like that to some extent.

I agree. I just hope the "diverse" skills I am taking are going to be good and not make my character unplayable.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to BKayrac

Do you have to be a Diablo fan to like this game?

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

1 edit

an isometric view, action rpg fan to enjoy it i would say

I AM likes GW2 and WoW... he can't stand these types of games

while PoE is very innovative in terms of the Diablo 2, Diablo 3 genre with theorcrafting and gems... it is not innovative in the theme of sword/axe/armor/dragons sense, it sticks to the norm when it comes to that

Marvel Heroes I am hoping will be innovative on both fronts, but don't get me wrong, I love PoE

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

Do you have to be a Diablo fan to like this game?

said by TheThing:

an isometric view, action rpg fan to enjoy it i would say

I AM likes GW2 and WoW... he can't stand these types of games

while PoE is very innovative in terms of the Diablo 2, Diablo 3 genre with theorcrafting and gems... it is not innovative in the theme of sword/axe/armor/dragons sense, it sticks to the norm when it comes to that

Marvel Heroes I am hoping will be innovative on both fronts, but don't get me wrong, I love PoE

I'd say thats an accurate summary. If you DIDN'T like D2, then you probably won't like this game. They've expanded on it, made the skill tree deeper, and the amount of combinations of those skills + gems + equipment is really something to behold...not to mention the crafting.

But, yeah, its not anything new, as in a new type of playstyle, it's an action rpg, just like D2 & D3 were...just...better.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to TigerLord

To expand, shortly, upon what Koil said. If you disliked D3, you'll like this game.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

said by VioletVenom:

To expand, shortly, upon what Koil said. If you disliked D3, you'll like this game.

From what I can tell, that's nearly everyone. That said, D3 was ok for three weeks or so for me. And I love this game.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to BKayrac

Was briefly playing, first player to reach level 90 announced.

DasGoat

join:2013-02-12
Charleston, WV
reply to BKayrac

I just discovered something very useful and don't know how long it will last. If you're having issues with equipping gear because it needs strength or whatever you can use a different item with that stat. Example for me was a helm that needed more strength so I equipped an amulet with enough to allow me to equip it, once it was on change to a different/better amulet.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by DasGoat:

I just discovered something very useful and don't know how long it will last. If you're having issues with equipping gear because it needs strength or whatever you can use a different item with that stat. Example for me was a helm that needed more strength so I equipped an amulet with enough to allow me to equip it, once it was on change to a different/better amulet.

That might work on armor, but on spell gems, it will completely remove them from your keybinds if you don't have the required stats.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to DasGoat

Yeah, check your stats once you remove the amulet...I bet all stats from the equipped item are removed. It's still in the slot, but it's just the same as if it were unequipped.

Tried that already...hehe

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to BKayrac

I've been trying to save up sets of unidentified rares to get chaos orbs but I can't seem to ever find a rare belt. I do find a billion rare weapons, most seem crappy due to lack of gem slots and no links. I am running out of inventory space with all these weapons.

Should I just vendor them? Should I ID them first since you get more from the vendor for identified items? I just don't want to dump them all only to figure out later there is something else that can be done with them.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

1 edit

I would just work on getting a set. Keep it in a tab and just build on it...those things are rare, as are rings, for me at least. Using that POE helper I linked earlier will kinda help you find what recipes you have in your inventory....though I think there is one aspect of it I don't like, but haven't confirmed it yet, but I think if it puts 1 item into a recipe, it doesn't include that item as a possibility for other recipes. Also, not sure if it does this, it prioritizes the item to be used in the recipe of the highest return.

Anyway, it's still a great helper and a good way to look at your overall inventory. Don't ask me how it works, I just fumble around til I find what I need. lol

:edit: Link:
»www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/42272

--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to BKayrac

I'm retiring my Witch. I got right to the end of Act 3 and things took a turn for the worse. Survivability is non existent. I'm getting my fucking ass kicked non stop.

Also, I don't know what the fuck happened, but I dinged level 37 and my mana regeneration went to pure shit. I'll blow through a full set of mana on a simple pack of mobs, drink a mana potion, and blow through the rest of my mana finishing them off and end with 1/4 mana. It's stupid.

I'm trying another class.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to BKayrac

I had the same problem when I got to Act 3 on Cruel setting. Shit was stomping me instantly. Then I noticed I was like 7 levels under the mobs. So I farmed a easy open area for a while, leveled up quick, bought some better gear along the way and now I am doing ok. Still a challenge though even though I'm 2 or 3 levels over the mobs now.

As far as the weapons go, I have almost 2 tabs full of them. I never get rings, belts or amulets really. Odd that those drops are non-existent for me. I did get 2 unique drops. Both were crappy, but was able to sell one for 3 chaos orbs.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

I'm retiring my Witch. I got right to the end of Act 3 and things took a turn for the worse. Survivability is non existent. I'm getting my fucking ass kicked non stop.

Also, I don't know what the fuck happened, but I dinged level 37 and my mana regeneration went to pure shit. I'll blow through a full set of mana on a simple pack of mobs, drink a mana potion, and blow through the rest of my mana finishing them off and end with 1/4 mana. It's stupid.

It sounds like you've over leveled your gems, or aura's, vs the amount of mana you have. Look at getting more regen, more mana, or de-leveling them a bit so they don't take as much mana per cast. Also, make sure you're not putting a ton of supports on the attacks. Those tack on their costs to the spell, per cast, as well...it adds up quickly.

Using the character sheet becomes pretty vital once you get into your build. I recommend using it religiously, as well as checking each spell there and see if it's doing what you think it's supposed to be doing. I make sure to check mine whenever equipment and gems are changed.
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Fun to do regardless if you come back to your witch or not. Personally, I'm not into the whole "race to the top" thing. I was playing the duelist last night as a break and am loving him so far. I have one of each class I'll play here and there just to keep things fresh. I enjoy doing it that way.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Dissembled:

said by Ghastlyone:

Fun to do regardless if you come back to your witch or not. Personally, I'm not into the whole "race to the top" thing. I was playing the duelist last night as a break and am loving him so far. I have one of each class I'll play here and there just to keep things fresh. I enjoy doing it that way.

Yeah I feel like I'm going very slowly on my main.. He is only level 33 now, just hit Act 3, but he's wrecking shit so far (elemental damage duelist dw). I've got a marauder tank (mace and shield) I'm running with Koil See Profile's shadow and I think we are somewhere around level 20. It seemed like we were levelling like every 10 minutes.

BTW the Marauder is super tanky at the beginning of his tree, equip a shield and just stand in the middle of a group of mobs and watch your health not get below 3/4.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Koil

said by Koil:

said by Ghastlyone:

It sounds like you've over leveled your gems, or aura's, vs the amount of mana you have. Look at getting more regen, more mana, or de-leveling them a bit so they don't take as much mana per cast. Also, make sure you're not putting a ton of supports on the attacks. Those tack on their costs to the spell, per cast, as well...it adds up quickly.

Using the character sheet becomes pretty vital once you get into your build. I recommend using it religiously, as well as checking each spell there and see if it's doing what you think it's supposed to be doing. I make sure to check mine whenever equipment and gems are changed.

Yeah I'm thinking I might have over-leveled one of my support gems or something and now completely fucked myself. It's almost unplayable now.

I'm running Spark-->Fork (support)-->Increased Critical Dmg (support)

Mana pool issues aside, the mobs right on the last level in Act 3 in the General's area are fucking kicking my ass all over the map.

The General himself is unkillable for me. I couldn't even break his damn shield. Seems way overtuned to me.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Dissembled

said by Dissembled:

said by Ghastlyone:

I started a Duelist. It's rough at first. You only have a main "white" attack, and a cleave. Cleave uses a shit ton of mana. So you're left just using a normal attack.

It felt, very slow and inefficient. I'll play it some more though. I'm sure it'll get better.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Dissembled:

said by Ghastlyone:

I started a Duelist. It's rough at first. You only have a main "white" attack, and a cleave. Cleave uses a shit ton of mana. So you're left just using a normal attack.

It felt, very slow and inefficient. I'll play it some more though. I'm sure it'll get better.

Here's what I'm doing on my duelist and am loving it:

I still use Cleave, paired with Life Gain on Hit and Increased Cold Damage support gems. I'm using two stilleto type swords which have around 1.7 attacks per second (as well as cold damage) and am speccing into attack speed and elemental damage in the passive tree. He is fast. I just got Frenzy and Frostbite. I throw the curse, hit Frenzy a couple of times to increase my speed, and it takes two to three Cleave hits max to kill most mobs close to my level. The only thing that sucks is he can't take heavy damage without constantly using Cleave to regain life; if you're not keeping an eye on mana it can be easy to die if you run out. (EDIT: I also use Flicker Strike to close the gap on groups of ranged baddies; they can ruin your day as well). I am running 3 mana pots and 2 health pots.

Thanks for the heads up on the gems guys. I have been just levelling them up every time. I'm looking on the skill tooltip and the amount of mana for Cleave doesn't seem to go up after I level it, even though I have two support gems attached. What am I missing?

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN

said by bionicRod:

Cleave doesn't seem to go up after I level it, even though I have two support gems attached. What am I missing?

If you go to the wiki, they have the leveling charts on a lot of the gems. If you are using a skill gem you think you will be using for the career of your character, it may be worth the 5 minutes to do some research and check these charts out.

For example, Cleave is 7M (1-5), 8M (6-10), 9M (11-15), & 10M (16--). So, if you are already starting to get into some mana management issues, leaving Cleave at 5 or 10 for a while longer may be a good idea.

The big ones that get you in trouble though are the damn mana reserved gems. Those are party gems though and a well built party with a cross functional set of auras is a HUGE help.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Dissembled:

said by bionicRod:

Cleave doesn't seem to go up after I level it, even though I have two support gems attached. What am I missing?

If you go to the wiki, they have the leveling charts on a lot of the gems. If you are using a skill gem you think you will be using for the career of your character, it may be worth the 5 minutes to do some research and check these charts out.

For example, Cleave is 7M (1-5), 8M (6-10), 9M (11-15), & 10M (16--). So, if you are already starting to get into some mana management issues, leaving Cleave at 5 or 10 for a while longer may be a good idea.

The big ones that get you in trouble though are the damn mana reserved gems. Those are party gems though and a well built party with a cross functional set of auras is a HUGE help.

Thank you! And 5 minutes of research...ha! I've been playing for two weeks now according to /age and still only understand the surface of what is going on in this game. Not really having mana problems; I can definitely make due with two pots and don't have to use them too often. The third is insurance.

DasGoat

join:2013-02-12
Charleston, WV
reply to Ghastlyone

I have my witch set to use that cold blast spell or firestorm. I've noticed the mobs usually have a resistance to one and I use whatever spell accordingly. I do a lot of kiting until my shield regens.

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to BKayrac

Game gets pretty boring the higher level you get. The death exp loss is just degrading as shit and can be a real downer to playing. And the upgrades seem slim to none when you get 65+.. not to mention the exp gain is s l o w.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

bionicRod
Premium
united state

1 edit

said by Gundy:

Game gets pretty boring the higher level you get. The death exp loss is just degrading as shit and can be a real downer to playing. And the upgrades seem slim to none when you get 65+.. not to mention the exp gain is s l o w.

I read in the forums that getting to 80 max level is supposed to be a very long process. The guy typing said two years but I have no idea if that's accurate at all.

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29

1 edit

I doubt two years, Kripp and his HC group who play quite abit and do maps are already 86+..

The exp gets really fucking slow, and it kind of makes the idea spark of "why am I playing".

Atleast at this point... when they add the cut throat league it might add abit of spice.. but until then there is something missing high level for me.

Combined with the piss poor loot system, random group play at high levels is just who can click the fastest, and or not get a bugged drop.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to BKayrac

Lol I don't know why I said 80. I meant max level. My GW2 is showing!