Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

Re: Path of Exile

So this is now free to get? Is this on Steam or Origins or do you download from their site?

Ast1

@213.152.245.x
reply to BKayrac

Yes, it is now free to get.

I am acually a big fan of the no Gold economy. It makes no real difference when purchasing off the vendor as other items are esentially Gold substitute.

But when trading with players, unlike typical games where an item may be 100,000 Gold, in this it may just be a rare orb drop, or just a lot of uncommon ones - because its what a player actually needs, this means that even as a low lvl player, or just a player not that good at farming for cash (I know plenty who are poor in every game they play) you may actually have the items required.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

Path of Exile is superior to Diablo 3 in most ways:

- MMO basically, shared towns, group instanced outside world
- IT IS NOT an auction house game like Diablo 3, powerful items have meaning
- No currency

in diablo 3 I grinded, and when things got tough I just purchased OP gear from the AH... this will not work in Path of Exil

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to BKayrac

I cant take the FOV in path of exile. It's zoomed in way too close.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

it's supposed to be similar to Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

Also, similar to Starcraft 2, your Field of View SIZE is very deliberate.

The developer only wants you to take in so much at a time.

The reasoning behind this becomes more evident in dungeons in this game, where its dark and shadowy, and you do not know what lurks around the corner.

A larger FOV in this game would not make sense in dungeons, since your vision in dungeons is VERY limited. But it sets the desired creepy atmosphere. LIke anything else it takes some adjustment.

but i can see jumping from D3 to this could give you that impression

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to Fishead1

said by Fishead1:

Right now I have mixed feelings about the game.I'm enjoying it but not loving it yet.I'm glad that its free because I can't really afford to buy at this time.I've only bought maybe 2/3 games all year.
I finding it hard to get use to the economy with not gold in it.After playing so many games that follow the old Dungeons and Dragons type rules this game goes in a different direction.It takes getting use to.
Right now I have 2 characters around level 14 and its still kind of boring slogging away with not much really good finds.I guess it will be like Diablo where the good spells and better stuff that drops seem to start after level 30.Has anyone played with a higher level character and found it starts opening up ?

The game really starts to shine around level 31+ when you start to gather more skill/support gems. I've got a 52 witch summoner that is a blast to play.

The game is great, the first beginning levels get pretty stale but playing hardcore helps keep the tension up. It's also alot more fun if you have people to play with.

That said, it is open BETA. Constant crashes and roll backs are pretty common. This weekend has been plagued with disconnects out the ass, causing people to re run zones multiple times to find a waypoint or complete a quest. Also the bug that moves your HC characters to default really sucks ass. They've been trying to fix the disconnects all weekend so props to them.

Other than that the game is pretty addicting, trying to find a new combination of skills is cool. The uniques are lackluster and I seriously think finding linked sockets is priority. The art style needs some help, being level 50+ and not having pants is just seriously retarded. And the armor styles are just the same at level 1 as they are at 50.

I'd recommend playing it if you like Diablo 2 type games, it definetly has the feel that Diablo 3 shouldve been. Can't wait for this game to be completed.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I've already seen a big improvement from Closed Beta to Open Beta. It will only get better.

is game progression as follows Gundy?

Beat Normal -> Then Beat Cruel -> then Beat Merciless?

then after Merciless you can kick off dungeons at difficulty settings you choose?

can you confirm this?

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
reply to Gundy

Brother Laz is helping to design atleast some of the uniques in the game

if you don't know who that is, he is the guy who gave us median XL......i guarantee not all uniques are lackluster with him designing many of them :P

TheThing

many of the microtransaction upgrades are awesome

- a crown of iceicles
- a halo
- flaming swords, modified looking spell affects... VERY VERY COOL

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

Started the download before bed last night. Plan on putting a few hours on it tonight to check it out.

TheThing

the game is deep, and a little slow at start, but give it time... it's excellent, and the gear system is awesome and complex

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to BKayrac

Keeping GW2 as my main PC attraction (Black Ops II on XBox), however, I did install "Path of Exile" for the first time last night. Pretty cool game for the 15-minutes I gave it. I'll keep it installed and progress slowly for the full experience. From what I've gathered thus far it's very close to Diablo (1 and 2), basically hack and slash with ladders right?, which sounds like a good time.
--
Cutler @ Jade Quarry (GW2)

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I still don't 100% understand how "leagues" aka ladders work.

Normal game progression is:

Beat Game normal -> Beat Game Cruel -> Beat Game merciless -> then run dungones at the difficulty/reward level you select

yeah... I try to play it for 15/20minutes as a CD for after my GW2 session

i'm Hiltzar in PoE... suprise surprise! add me...

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2

Cutlerbeast is my name in-game
--
Cutler @ Jade Quarry (GW2)

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

Put 3+ hours on it last night. Played a Ranger to level 5 and then tried a Duelist to only like level 3 before I got bored with him. Finished the night leveling up a Witch that I was really digging.

First thing I can say is that I like it better than the D3 beta I played. The graphics are what D3 should have been. The visuals are very good and little things like tall grass moving out of your way as you run through it is very cool. Elevation changes are a nice touch. Wish I could rotate my camera, but it's not a game killer. I'm not a Diablo fanboi by any means, but there's just no question that this game is a complete rip off of Diablo. Every single element is practically identical to it.

The skill tree system.....HOLY SHIT! Love it.

Controls are decent enough. Pretty much what I expected. Little things like holding down on your mouse button to auto spam your ability and then when the mob dies you run forward into a pack of death is not all that great, but I figure that's a small thing to complain about.

UI is clean, pretty, and funtional. Hotkeying worked pretty well except Shift/Alt/Ctrl combinations of keys won't hotkey and my extra mouse buttons weren't recognized either. Beta stuff hopefully.

Probably my biggest gripe was the buy/sell interface. It's clunky and needs work. Dragging and dropping items into a sell box is just freaking annoying. You can't tell by looking at your inventory what you have or have not dragged already, etc. There are no confirmations when buying stuff, etc. It just needs some good old fashioned polish for sure.

And inventory space is my last thing. Jesus H Christ. Kill 5 mobs, run back to town to sell. That shit gets old really fast. I realize there are waypoint teleporters and portal scrolls but not enough of them I've seen so far to lessen the BS factor of an inventory that will only hold two fights worth of booty. Maybe something changes at later levels.....I hope.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

#1 - To stand your ground when killing mobs, and to make sure you aren't running into death:

SHIFT+attack

the shift key makes you stand in place, and after all mobs are dead you will not continue to move, this is critical, and common to this genre of game.

#2 - Selling items at the vendor:

If you place something in the "to sell" area, the items get a red tint in your inventory.

#3 - Not enough inventory space:

Think about selecting the game option, that only shows RARE loot that drops, and ignores all white drops.

This is by design my friend, you have to be very SELECTIVE of what you carry. It is intentional. If you are farming mats then by all means, go back and forth to your hearts content, but dont expect this to function like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2... in TL2 you have a wolf/pet to ferry items back for sale.

The whole point is simplification, and identification of what is REALLY important to carry.

At this point I only carry rare mats, that give big payoffs when vendored... otherwise it slows down my progression.

When you run dungones with others you will see this, people ignore 99% of what drops. Most of which is not visible to players, since it is ignored by selecting the option i mentioned above.

TheThing

reply to BKayrac

this game is hardcore Diablo 1/2 style!

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

#1 - To stand your ground when killing mobs, and to make sure you aren't running into death:

SHIFT+attack

the shift key makes you stand in place, and after all mobs are dead you will not continue to move, this is critical, and common to this genre of game.

Did not know that. Thank you.

said by TheThing:

If you place something in the "to sell" area, the items get a red tint in your inventory.

I don't think it was doing that for me. I actually saw the red tint at times and was wondering if that's why it was highlighting and couldn't correlate it to the sell window. I will look again more closely tonight.

said by TheThing:

#3 - Not enough inventory space:

Think about selecting the game option, that only shows RARE loot that drops, and ignores all white drops.

Too anal and too much of a hoarder to do this. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Coolbrz

join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Also, ctrl + click to sell stuff, or move stuff to the bank

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

Yeah, the only time items get highlighted red for me is when they are unidentified.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Coolbrz

said by Coolbrz:

Also, ctrl + click to sell stuff, or move stuff to the bank

Very helpful info! Thank you.

TheThing

reply to BKayrac

Very nervous about spending my talent points!

Theres no going back!

and regret orbs are so rare!

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI

said by TheThing:

Theres no going back!

atleast they give you the option, d2 was 100% no re-do.....can't tell you how many times i accidentaly clicked something, and had to re-make the character completely

TheThing

i stopped spending talent points until i research it more for my marauder

Gundy
Premium
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

I still don't 100% understand how "leagues" aka ladders work.

Normal game progression is:

Beat Game normal -> Beat Game Cruel -> Beat Game merciless -> then run dungones at the difficulty/reward level you select

yeah... I try to play it for 15/20minutes as a CD for after my GW2 session

i'm Hiltzar in PoE... suprise surprise! add me...

Pretty much, The game has a chance to drop 'maps' when you can randomize to run and find better loot depending on what you want to versus. Similar to the end map running generator in torchlight 2.

Made a new character the other night and had a blast playing, its defiantly more fun with people though. I'll add you this evening if my buddy and I get on. My tag is Synthetyk.

The leagues are basically different ladders from how I understand it, Cut Throat is basically a open ended PVP ordeal. Where people have a chance to zone into your area and kill you for your items and your items drop. I'm not for sure though, I haven't done any reading up on them. Although cut throat sounds fun as hell.
--

Gundy
Premium

2 edits
reply to BKayrac

said by BKayrac:

said by TheThing:

Theres no going back!

atleast they give you the option, d2 was 100% no re-do.....can't tell you how many times i accidentaly clicked something, and had to re-make the character completely

This is one down side to this game, the developers have stated they WANT you to remake characters. So the option of orb of regrets and respec points from quests are there, they aren't a 100% option. If you fubar with your points bad enough, you'll have to reroll..

And the best part of this is having the same starting class, but a different spec. Straight diablo 2 frozen orb sorc and a meteor sorc type idea.

The inventory idea gets better the higher level you get too. There are certain vendor recipes that will drop that you will learn. For example a 3 different colored (reb+blue+green) socket linked item will sell for one chromatic orb. So you'll start to ignore blues completely unless you scour it and reroll it for a rare or different magical stats with a orb. The idea of creating your own gear based on a gambling type system is sick.

Overall, the game is completely free; there is no pay to win. If you enjoy/ed Diablo 2, you should for sure check this game out. The developers are just retardedly supportive. Game has potentional thats for sure.
--

TheThing

reply to BKayrac

I'll get on more this weekend, ill look you up!

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

1 edit
reply to BKayrac

Thanks for the heads up on this game. Started playing yesterday and this game is great! They've definitely taken the diablo style to the next level!

So I started a witch and I think I'm going to try a fire/ice, heavy crit, elemental curse build. I just started contemplating my passives direction recently so still a work in progress. I'm level 18 now and am holding off on spending more points until I get a better grasp on my direction.

I was reading through their forums looking for info. One guy advises not to build the passive tree over 80/90 points as the higher levels take an insane amount of time to level to.

quote:
Don't forget either : everytime you die, you lose 15% of your current level.
As well, just looking at the ladder, going from lvl 81 to 82 takes 100+ Million Xps (a bit more than 2 x the full route from 1 to 50)... just to gain 1 lvl. (and 20 more to go until lvl 100, all of them with more Xp needed than the previous one)
There is a very good reason why most of the very experienced players (not counting myself in those) are regularly advicing people on the forum to NEVER use the full 111 points for their talent trees. It's cause it just won't happen.

This is what I was playing with this morning, the above said I'm going to have to do some editing to it.
»www.pathofexile.com/passive-skil···Tm1YB3BS

edit: new tree »www.pathofexile.com/passive-skil···nRbzJjw=

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

I have enjoyed playing this the last couple days. I think Shadow is my favorite melee guy so far and Witch is my favorite overall. I got my Witch to 12 last night. I am building her as a necromancing, frost AoE'ing maniac. I've also got a couple RL buddies joining in on the fun.

I was going to ask what the death penalty was in this game. Looks like it's 15% XP loss. Guess I need to quit running into the middle of the those packs so much to get off a frost nova. lol

TheThing

Death penalty does not occur until after you beat the game on normal

IN merciless and cruel, death does inflicts an XP penalty! dying has a meaning!