uniqs

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to f0rtys3ven

to f0rtys3ven

Re: Path of Exile

said by f0rtys3ven:

I have questions about armor v engery shield v evasion. How does these interact / work ?

Armor reduces physical damage.

Energy shield is much like what it sounds like, it's a shield that absorbs damage until it is used up. It's visually indicated by the white stripe/partial sphere on the right hand side of your health globe.

Evasion is resolved first in combat and determines whether or not you even get hit by the attack.

There are also elemental resists. Fire, Cold, & Lightening for non-physical damages that armor doesn't reduce. There's also a 4th damage type in the game called Chaos damage that goes through everything and resists for it are more rare and can be gained through some passives.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

So for defense I think that I am going to pick up passives in Evasion, Energy Shield, and Life when easily available.

I am planning on some early Evasion/Energy Shield passives as well as the dual wield block passives.
f0rtys3ven

f0rtys3ven

Man skills can be hard to come by. I haven't really found too many useful skills on the ground and have only found 1 support gem.

I made it to about level 20 I think and into act 2. My whirling blades build is still going well. I have attachted a crit multiplier support gem as it was the only one that would work with whirling blades that I got to choose. Its kind of lack luster. I end up dual striking most things to death as it is more effecient for mana and it kills in 1 hit + auto or 2 hits for most mobs.

The only defensive spell I was able to pick up so far was a fire armor that gives armor till a certain amount of dmg is taken then it explodes. Kinda meh.

I have moved over to claws. I have 2 rare claws with life leech on top of the health returned on hit. Whirling blades through a group heals for a pretty good amount and I can tank most rares with just dual strike spam and the health I get back from that. One claw has mana leech as well and I wish both had it because it is extremely nice for extra mana regen. Thank god I have a couple good mana pots because I am pretty much chain chugging. Hoping for a clarity skill drop for the mana aura.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

It seems like I'm hearing more and more that the hierarchy for defense is:

Life>Spirit Shield>Armor>Evasion

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Evasion mitigates more damage than armor at higher levels, but you can't stack it solely.

Its best to go evasion+energy shield or evasion/life regen.

Armor suffers from terrible diminishing returns, where as ES is infinite.
Savious

Savious to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

Man skills can be hard to come by. I haven't really found too many useful skills on the ground and have only found 1 support gem.

I made it to about level 20 I think and into act 2. My whirling blades build is still going well. I have attachted a crit multiplier support gem as it was the only one that would work with whirling blades that I got to choose. Its kind of lack luster. I end up dual striking most things to death as it is more effecient for mana and it kills in 1 hit + auto or 2 hits for most mobs.

The only defensive spell I was able to pick up so far was a fire armor that gives armor till a certain amount of dmg is taken then it explodes. Kinda meh.

I have moved over to claws. I have 2 rare claws with life leech on top of the health returned on hit. Whirling blades through a group heals for a pretty good amount and I can tank most rares with just dual strike spam and the health I get back from that. One claw has mana leech as well and I wish both had it because it is extremely nice for extra mana regen. Thank god I have a couple good mana pots because I am pretty much chain chugging. Hoping for a clarity skill drop for the mana aura.

Add me to your friends list. I have a ton of extra skill gems and equipment. Im currently working on a shadow as well. Viper strike is amazing!

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

Evasion mitigates more damage than armor at higher levels, but you can't stack it solely.

Its best to go evasion+energy shield or evasion/life regen.

Armor suffers from terrible diminishing returns, where as ES is infinite.

Thanks for this. I have been stacking evasion. Haven't run into any problems yet but will have to consider how to go forward.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Once monsters start hitting for 500, you'll understand that a 40% chance to evade is better than a 30% repeated reduction to 500.

Evade is the best way to avoid damage after max resist.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I think my problem is going to be that, as a duelist, my INT isn't that high unless I invest in it in the passive tree, so the armor that stacks energy shield may be out. The armor that plays to my strengths (STR and DEX) is usually evade+armor. I've been going straight evade leathers, but if that's not good enough on its own, I'm going to have to figure something else out. Luckily I've never seen a yellow I didn't stash.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

I can see that needing strength and energy shield being an issue especially for the Dualist class. They seem to not be cohesive in gear or passives.

I am doing evasion energy shield gear mostly. I will end up w/ come armor evasion or armor energy shield so that my dmg reduction ins't 0. I looked yesterday and I was at 3% so I added a piece of armor evasion (boots).

Is viper strike the chaso dot strike?
I really like puncture for heavy hitting mobs. Whril in puncture whril out and watch him chase me and die.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Evasion + Armor is not a bad route, actually. Lets say a monster is hitting your for 100. You have 40% evasion or 30% armor.

Evasion = After 10 hits you will evade 400 damage but take 600.
Armor = After 10 hits, you will absorb 300 damage but take 700.

Now, combining those too, the 6 hits you take after your 40% evasion is reduced to 70 damage per hit, or 420 damage.

Prioritize these stats for each class

Duelist: Resist/Life/Evasion/Armor
Shadow: Resist/ES/Life/Evasion
Witch: Resist/ES/Life
Templar: Resist/Life/Armor/ES
Marauder: Resist/Life/Regen/Armor
Ranger: Resist/Evasion/Life/Movement speed

Now, these are based off of traditional builds. Obviously your setups are going to be different if you are going with a weird set up like bow marauder or melee witch or Chaos Inoculation.
Savious

Savious to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
Puncture seems more productive on a ranger than a melee class.

Viper strike puts out some ridiculous DPS if you have fast attack speeds.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

Evasion + Armor is not a bad route, actually. Lets say a monster is hitting your for 100. You have 40% evasion or 30% armor.

Evasion = After 10 hits you will evade 400 damage but take 600.
Armor = After 10 hits, you will absorb 300 damage but take 700.

Now, combining those too, the 6 hits you take after your 40% evasion is reduced to 70 damage per hit, or 420 damage.

Prioritize these stats for each class

Duelist: Resist/Life/Evasion/Armor
Shadow: Resist/ES/Life/Evasion
Witch: Resist/ES/Life
Templar: Resist/Life/Armor/ES
Marauder: Resist/Life/Regen/Armor
Ranger: Resist/Evasion/Life/Movement speed

Now, these are based off of traditional builds. Obviously your setups are going to be different if you are going with a weird set up like bow marauder or melee witch or Chaos Inoculation.

Thanks for the advice! I need to start browsing the PoE forums but I'm impatient and don't want to take the time. I want to plaaaaaaay.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Add me. I've got lots of cool gears and gemzies for DSLR peeps.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Whose playing HC?

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Im not. Im still exploring different classes and builds before I make an HC character.

I would be interested in the race leagues as well. A lot of cool stuff to do here!

I still havent gotten a character past Act 3 Cruel, haha.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Have you looked at the build of the week videos ?

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

No, where's that?

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Goggle?

Path of Exile - Build of the week.

They are made by the game designer from builds that were submitted by players.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Gogglator plays PoE?
Savious

Savious to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
It appears that the build of the week has gone defunct since Novemeber last year.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

O I wasn't looking at dates.

Some interesting things there though.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Ill take a look when I get home, looks like most of them are YouTube bids.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Thanks for the gem savious!

I added a couple mana regen rings and now I can spam double strike and my mana stays about full. Whirling blades spam still needs more regen though and currently its not really enough dmg to warrent its spam unless there are more than 20 mobs on the screen. I am hoping with levels and more support gems it will be better.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Any time brother =D

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
Really digging this game. I just started yesterday as a witch. Don't know much about the inner workings of the game like what's best for what class, etc. I was in shock to see the skills tree.
What I like best...free to play.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 edit

Xioden to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
There's no harm in making all characters in the hardcore league. If you die you get bumped back into the default league, so there is no real harm done anyway. The only thing you lose out on is access to the default league stash.

For races, they are pretty fun to do. It's pretty easy to get to the lower level brackets to get some points. Do that a few times and 15 points for the lowest tier unique is pretty easy to get to.

The RNG can also be terribly cruel. Finished a 1 hour solo race as 301 overall and 30th witch without a single rare or orb of alchemy and no movement speed boots. Any one of those would have made a huge difference.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium Member
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA

cyrus360 to BKayrac

Premium Member

to BKayrac
I got my Ranger up to 64. I had to respec him a lot because I was getting one shotted nonstop on merciless difficulty.

So I got a bunch of regret orbs and used all the respec points I had saved up. It brought my dps down considerably but I haven't died since redoing the skills. I also picked up a 5 link chest item and got a fairly beastly Lightning Arrow attack for large groups which melts them down nicely. I got really lucky and only had to use 15 chromo orbs to get the color scheme I wanted.

Now I just need to get a 5 link bow and I'll be set.

I have a low level witch and marauder if anyone of a lower level wants to play sometime. I laughed because after about 15 minutes of playing the marauder, I got an exalted orb drop. I didn't get one of those on my 64 ranger until about level 60. Just had my first map drop too but haven't completed the game to get to use it yet.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Got through the first run with my Shadow. Up to level 40 ish. Crual may end up being a bit more challenging. I am dropping ES all together as I don't see much of a point especially if I am going to be lifestealing. I am going heavy armor and evasion w/ max resists to make sure my hp is as valuable as it can be.

Currently have 40+% resists for all w/ rings to make it out if need be. 20%ish reduction from armor and almost a 40% evasion rate.

I still seem really squishy. I have 1 k life so far and I keep wanting to get hp nodes in my passive tree because death is still pretty easy to come by. Maybe my gear is bad but its really expensive to try and change that. I have minimal currency left because I have tried to better my gear but it seems pointless and I should have just saved all my currency for higher levels.

I have found 2 unique items so far one a +life belt and another a really low level unique bow. I started a ranger so I could use the bow and I found the fork support gem so I am excited to play that as well. I think I am going to build around cold shot.

I also found a Fire pen support gem and a bunch of fire spells and I want to start a fire witch as well. This game constantly has me thinking of cool builds. Lightning templar is on the list as well.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I played quite a bit this weekend as well. I think I'm up to level 43 now and am in Act 2 of Cruel difficulty on my main. One thing I've noticed in Cruel is the number of rare drops has decreased significantly. Which is fine as they're supposed to be, you know...rare, and the default difficulty dropped so many I have about run out of room in an updated stash. I've only found one unique so far, a sword, and it was crap.

My duelist still seems to be doing well. I slotted an add'l attack speed gem with dual strike and use blood rage (that gives a frenzy charge for mobs you kill while active) and he can burn down a rare mob or boss with that in seconds. I do have trouble surviving large amounts of burst damage though; if 3 exploding mobs hit me at the same time I'm pretty much done for if I don't have a pot activated. Still throughly enjoying this game.