share rss forum feed

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to f0rtys3ven

Re: Path of Exile

Evasion + Armor is not a bad route, actually. Lets say a monster is hitting your for 100. You have 40% evasion or 30% armor.

Evasion = After 10 hits you will evade 400 damage but take 600.
Armor = After 10 hits, you will absorb 300 damage but take 700.

Now, combining those too, the 6 hits you take after your 40% evasion is reduced to 70 damage per hit, or 420 damage.

Prioritize these stats for each class

Duelist: Resist/Life/Evasion/Armor
Shadow: Resist/ES/Life/Evasion
Witch: Resist/ES/Life
Templar: Resist/Life/Armor/ES
Marauder: Resist/Life/Regen/Armor
Ranger: Resist/Evasion/Life/Movement speed

Now, these are based off of traditional builds. Obviously your setups are going to be different if you are going with a weird set up like bow marauder or melee witch or Chaos Inoculation.
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to f0rtys3ven

Puncture seems more productive on a ranger than a melee class.

Viper strike puts out some ridiculous DPS if you have fast attack speeds.
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to Savious

said by Savious:

Evasion + Armor is not a bad route, actually. Lets say a monster is hitting your for 100. You have 40% evasion or 30% armor.

Evasion = After 10 hits you will evade 400 damage but take 600.
Armor = After 10 hits, you will absorb 300 damage but take 700.

Now, combining those too, the 6 hits you take after your 40% evasion is reduced to 70 damage per hit, or 420 damage.

Prioritize these stats for each class

Duelist: Resist/Life/Evasion/Armor
Shadow: Resist/ES/Life/Evasion
Witch: Resist/ES/Life
Templar: Resist/Life/Armor/ES
Marauder: Resist/Life/Regen/Armor
Ranger: Resist/Evasion/Life/Movement speed

Now, these are based off of traditional builds. Obviously your setups are going to be different if you are going with a weird set up like bow marauder or melee witch or Chaos Inoculation.

Thanks for the advice! I need to start browsing the PoE forums but I'm impatient and don't want to take the time. I want to plaaaaaaay.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Add me. I've got lots of cool gears and gemzies for DSLR peeps.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

Whose playing HC?

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Im not. Im still exploring different classes and builds before I make an HC character.

I would be interested in the race leagues as well. A lot of cool stuff to do here!

I still havent gotten a character past Act 3 Cruel, haha.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Have you looked at the build of the week videos ?

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

No, where's that?

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Goggle?

Path of Exile - Build of the week.

They are made by the game designer from builds that were submitted by players.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Gogglator plays PoE?

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to f0rtys3ven

It appears that the build of the week has gone defunct since Novemeber last year.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

O I wasn't looking at dates.

Some interesting things there though.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Ill take a look when I get home, looks like most of them are YouTube bids.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Thanks for the gem savious!

I added a couple mana regen rings and now I can spam double strike and my mana stays about full. Whirling blades spam still needs more regen though and currently its not really enough dmg to warrent its spam unless there are more than 20 mobs on the screen. I am hoping with levels and more support gems it will be better.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Any time brother =D

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to BKayrac

Really digging this game. I just started yesterday as a witch. Don't know much about the inner workings of the game like what's best for what class, etc. I was in shock to see the skills tree.
What I like best...free to play.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 edit
reply to Savious

There's no harm in making all characters in the hardcore league. If you die you get bumped back into the default league, so there is no real harm done anyway. The only thing you lose out on is access to the default league stash.

For races, they are pretty fun to do. It's pretty easy to get to the lower level brackets to get some points. Do that a few times and 15 points for the lowest tier unique is pretty easy to get to.

The RNG can also be terribly cruel. Finished a 1 hour solo race as 301 overall and 30th witch without a single rare or orb of alchemy and no movement speed boots. Any one of those would have made a huge difference.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to BKayrac

I got my Ranger up to 64. I had to respec him a lot because I was getting one shotted nonstop on merciless difficulty.

So I got a bunch of regret orbs and used all the respec points I had saved up. It brought my dps down considerably but I haven't died since redoing the skills. I also picked up a 5 link chest item and got a fairly beastly Lightning Arrow attack for large groups which melts them down nicely. I got really lucky and only had to use 15 chromo orbs to get the color scheme I wanted.

Now I just need to get a 5 link bow and I'll be set.

I have a low level witch and marauder if anyone of a lower level wants to play sometime. I laughed because after about 15 minutes of playing the marauder, I got an exalted orb drop. I didn't get one of those on my 64 ranger until about level 60. Just had my first map drop too but haven't completed the game to get to use it yet.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Got through the first run with my Shadow. Up to level 40 ish. Crual may end up being a bit more challenging. I am dropping ES all together as I don't see much of a point especially if I am going to be lifestealing. I am going heavy armor and evasion w/ max resists to make sure my hp is as valuable as it can be.

Currently have 40+% resists for all w/ rings to make it out if need be. 20%ish reduction from armor and almost a 40% evasion rate.

I still seem really squishy. I have 1 k life so far and I keep wanting to get hp nodes in my passive tree because death is still pretty easy to come by. Maybe my gear is bad but its really expensive to try and change that. I have minimal currency left because I have tried to better my gear but it seems pointless and I should have just saved all my currency for higher levels.

I have found 2 unique items so far one a +life belt and another a really low level unique bow. I started a ranger so I could use the bow and I found the fork support gem so I am excited to play that as well. I think I am going to build around cold shot.

I also found a Fire pen support gem and a bunch of fire spells and I want to start a fire witch as well. This game constantly has me thinking of cool builds. Lightning templar is on the list as well.
--
I though I had it all mapped out.
But I guess not.
This fucking black cloud still follows me around.
Its time to exercise these demons.
These mother fuckers are doing jumping jacks now.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

I played quite a bit this weekend as well. I think I'm up to level 43 now and am in Act 2 of Cruel difficulty on my main. One thing I've noticed in Cruel is the number of rare drops has decreased significantly. Which is fine as they're supposed to be, you know...rare, and the default difficulty dropped so many I have about run out of room in an updated stash. I've only found one unique so far, a sword, and it was crap.

My duelist still seems to be doing well. I slotted an add'l attack speed gem with dual strike and use blood rage (that gives a frenzy charge for mobs you kill while active) and he can burn down a rare mob or boss with that in seconds. I do have trouble surviving large amounts of burst damage though; if 3 exploding mobs hit me at the same time I'm pretty much done for if I don't have a pot activated. Still throughly enjoying this game.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

1 edit

I'll add you tonight. I haven't gotten through the list yet.

Do you get a lot of dsync in game ... skips back and forth?

Whirling blades seems make the game forget where I am.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

Sounds good! Koil See Profile and I run around together a lot and use the GW2 mumble server when no one is on it (there's never been anyone on it btw). I do rubberband sometimes but not that often. What happens to me more than anything is I'll swing at a mob, which will disappear and then come running back from offscreen.
--

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to BKayrac

That's my biggest complaint is the constant rubber banding effect. That coupled with the high xp loss for dying is extremely annoying, especially when you're close to leveling.

Sometimes I'll just be standing there and my health will drop, so I click a speed and health pot and run away, then the screen jumps and I am surrounded by mobs and usually dead.

They will definitely need to fix that before going live.
--
»www.freakynorm.com

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Whirling blades does this ALOT and is making me just want to work on a different char. I litterally do this every other pack and its sooo dangerous. I have died a couple times to this. I have probably died 5 - 10 times total and now I am 5 levels ahead of content. Meh.

I think the ranger will be alot safer as I don't have to be in melee range.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to cyrus360

said by cyrus360:

Sometimes I'll just be standing there and my health will drop, so I click a speed and health pot and run away, then the screen jumps and I am surrounded by mobs and usually dead.

This has only happened to me twice, and yes it is rage inducing. Hasn't happened on Cruel yet, man that will suck with the exp loss.
--

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to BKayrac

Over the weekend I read up on this game and played it a bit, and here are my thoughts:

1) I like the gem and passive skill system, definitely introduces a lot of variety.

2) The barter economy is definitely intriguing as well, but as others have said it makes it hard to value an item for new players (or even old ones that don't follow the economy closely).

3) I don't like the graphics. The monsters and background all blend/mesh together for me, and the view is way too close. If a monster is not moving then I'll probably die before I even see it.

4) Maybe I'm too use to care bears but I didn't know where I was supposed to go half the time. Although the quest to kill the rest of the mobs in the swamp was annoying, there's no mob indicator so I ended up looping the map until I found the last guy.

5) Overall the system was pretty stable. I only got kicked out of the game once.

I think the graphics part is a bit of a killer for me. It's a very nice game, especially for F2P from an 18 person company. I might tinker with it form time to time, but I think I'll be trying to find another ARPG...

TheThing

join:2012-08-10

said by puppy:

but I think I'll be trying to find another ARPG...

DragonNest, Vindictus, Marvel Heroes(out soon), Continent of the Ninth Seal, Diablo 3, Rusty Hearts... youtube them

puppy

join:2010-01-28

OK thanks Thing, I'll check them out!

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to puppy

The only time I have trouble seeing mobs are the damned blood monkeys in Act 2. Couple the fact that the trees block the view with the monkeys' tendecy to run and it quickly becomes annoying. Overall though I love the graphics and art style of the game. The rest of the game is different enough, with the skill tree and barter system, that it requires a good deal of time to start to get the hang of it.

If you're having trouble finding where to go, hit 'U' and it will bring up your missions and highlight a path to the missions' zones on the world map. Once you get into the right zone for a mission just clear it until you find what you're looking for.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to BKayrac

I have been playing a Marauder lately and man is it fun.

I am going to start a Shadow character soon. Does anyone have a build they would recommend? I was considering a life leech build but I don't know for sure yet. I want something that is going to work well for soloing and in groups.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net