Re: Path of Exile

said by Coolbrz:

Also, ctrl + click to sell stuff, or move stuff to the bank

Very helpful info! Thank you.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to BKayrac

Very nervous about spending my talent points!

Theres no going back!

and regret orbs are so rare!

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI

said by TheThing:

Theres no going back!

atleast they give you the option, d2 was 100% no re-do.....can't tell you how many times i accidentaly clicked something, and had to re-make the character completely

TheThing

i stopped spending talent points until i research it more for my marauder

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

I still don't 100% understand how "leagues" aka ladders work.

Normal game progression is:

Beat Game normal -> Beat Game Cruel -> Beat Game merciless -> then run dungones at the difficulty/reward level you select

yeah... I try to play it for 15/20minutes as a CD for after my GW2 session

i'm Hiltzar in PoE... suprise surprise! add me...

Pretty much, The game has a chance to drop 'maps' when you can randomize to run and find better loot depending on what you want to versus. Similar to the end map running generator in torchlight 2.

Made a new character the other night and had a blast playing, its defiantly more fun with people though. I'll add you this evening if my buddy and I get on. My tag is Synthetyk.

The leagues are basically different ladders from how I understand it, Cut Throat is basically a open ended PVP ordeal. Where people have a chance to zone into your area and kill you for your items and your items drop. I'm not for sure though, I haven't done any reading up on them. Although cut throat sounds fun as hell.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Gundy
Premium

2 edits
reply to BKayrac

said by BKayrac:

said by TheThing:

Theres no going back!

atleast they give you the option, d2 was 100% no re-do.....can't tell you how many times i accidentaly clicked something, and had to re-make the character completely

This is one down side to this game, the developers have stated they WANT you to remake characters. So the option of orb of regrets and respec points from quests are there, they aren't a 100% option. If you fubar with your points bad enough, you'll have to reroll..

And the best part of this is having the same starting class, but a different spec. Straight diablo 2 frozen orb sorc and a meteor sorc type idea.

The inventory idea gets better the higher level you get too. There are certain vendor recipes that will drop that you will learn. For example a 3 different colored (reb+blue+green) socket linked item will sell for one chromatic orb. So you'll start to ignore blues completely unless you scour it and reroll it for a rare or different magical stats with a orb. The idea of creating your own gear based on a gambling type system is sick.

Overall, the game is completely free; there is no pay to win. If you enjoy/ed Diablo 2, you should for sure check this game out. The developers are just retardedly supportive. Game has potentional thats for sure.
--

TheThing

reply to BKayrac

I'll get on more this weekend, ill look you up!

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

1 edit
reply to BKayrac

Thanks for the heads up on this game. Started playing yesterday and this game is great! They've definitely taken the diablo style to the next level!

So I started a witch and I think I'm going to try a fire/ice, heavy crit, elemental curse build. I just started contemplating my passives direction recently so still a work in progress. I'm level 18 now and am holding off on spending more points until I get a better grasp on my direction.

I was reading through their forums looking for info. One guy advises not to build the passive tree over 80/90 points as the higher levels take an insane amount of time to level to.

quote:
Don't forget either : everytime you die, you lose 15% of your current level.
As well, just looking at the ladder, going from lvl 81 to 82 takes 100+ Million Xps (a bit more than 2 x the full route from 1 to 50)... just to gain 1 lvl. (and 20 more to go until lvl 100, all of them with more Xp needed than the previous one)
There is a very good reason why most of the very experienced players (not counting myself in those) are regularly advicing people on the forum to NEVER use the full 111 points for their talent trees. It's cause it just won't happen.

This is what I was playing with this morning, the above said I'm going to have to do some editing to it.
»www.pathofexile.com/passive-skil···Tm1YB3BS

edit: new tree »www.pathofexile.com/passive-skil···nRbzJjw=

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

I have enjoyed playing this the last couple days. I think Shadow is my favorite melee guy so far and Witch is my favorite overall. I got my Witch to 12 last night. I am building her as a necromancing, frost AoE'ing maniac. I've also got a couple RL buddies joining in on the fun.

I was going to ask what the death penalty was in this game. Looks like it's 15% XP loss. Guess I need to quit running into the middle of the those packs so much to get off a frost nova. lol

TheThing

Death penalty does not occur until after you beat the game on normal

IN merciless and cruel, death does inflicts an XP penalty! dying has a meaning!

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4QDT8QDhc

David Brevik, the godfather of diablo, talks about Path of Exile!

Gundy
Premium
reply to Dissembled

A summoning witch is a blast, it takes abit to get up to speed and your minions to get some health. But once you get some minion damage + life support gems they really start to shine. Especially if you do the Minion Instability + Skeleton Summoning Totem.

I've been playing a Freezing Pulse Templar and can't get enough, super high health/ES and multiple freezing pulse projectiles. Working on stacking enough crit so I can keep things frozen while shotgunning freezing pulse.

The builds in this game continue to amaze me.
--

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to BKayrac

Only got to play for a little bit tonight, but I have to say....I'm impressed. Needs polish in areas, as been mentioned, but I've only seen the start area. Animations are good, voice acting is fucking great, and the story is intriguing.

I'll be definitely be playing this some more.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL
reply to Gundy

I tried a little bit of summoning when I first started playing. My zombies annoyed me because, being new, I couldn't tell them from the mobs. Might try going back to it though with another toon, seeing as we have 24 character slots.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

Why I like PoE better than D3:

- It's more like an MMO, common towns, can form groups in town, then open world is instanced to your group. similar to Guild wars 1
- Better customization of your toon! All of your abilities are NOT driven off of your selected weapon. You can be a two handed mace wielding, warrior, that can summon minions... or fire ice spells! Also this includes your traits/talent points.
- Gear actually has meaning! This isn't an auction house game. It's a treasure hunting game, where the gear you find and make improves you... not the auction house!

the more i play it the more addicted i get to it. I watched an end game video and it was very cool.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL

I think "better customization" is a MAJOR understatement. The amount of customization through gear, gems + support gems and the passive skill tree is staggering!! It is absolutely amazing really, the developers hit this one out of the park. You might dig this video that Chris Wilson is narrating about their development progress after 1 year.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsw2zIa···ure=plcp

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

while this game is similar to D2, it is INNOVATION for the genre... the innovation I am so sad D3 did not bring...

the innovation I HOPE marvel heroes brings

D3 failure makes David Brevik happy
PoE success is making him nervous

Gundy
Premium
reply to VioletVenom

said by VioletVenom:

I tried a little bit of summoning when I first started playing. My zombies annoyed me because, being new, I couldn't tell them from the mobs. Might try going back to it though with another toon, seeing as we have 24 character slots.

This is a big problem, I solved it by running some auras with expanded range passive in the talent tree. That way I could atleast tell which mobs were mine. However, this is pretty chaotic when you join public games. I've even heard about how necros are being kicked from groups until they fix the highlighting of friendly mobs.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to BKayrac

Ok...played a shit ton more last night. (disclaimer: I'm still noob, so if I'm off on my facts below, pls feel free to correct, thx)

This game is the shit, no doubt about it.

This game's loot system beats the ever living shit out of D3's, spits in it's face and calls it a bitch for even trying.

The skill tree is sick beyond compare...but the real cool factor here is the gem system.

There are (and there may be more, and I haven't seen them yet) spell gems and support gems. Spell gems give you a certain spell (doesn't have to be equipped in your weapon either...can go into any slot thats colored correctly. In armor, shield, whatever). Now...the cool part is that certain armor and weapons have gem slots that are linked. You can tell this when you loot, as there is a line connecting the gem slots....anyway, if you use a spell gem here, then add a support gem to the other slot, it modifies the use of that spell. So you can take a simple fireball spell for example, and throw on a support gem that multiplies projectiles and increases fire dmg, for example....now instead of casting one fireball, you're casting three for increased dmg for all of them....and the animations are friggin sweet.

Oh, and then there are the orbs. There are orbs to upgrade a regular item to a rare, completely change the stats on your rare, completely change your rare into another rare...it's unreal.

Completely loving it. I'd expect this game to go full tilt once it's released.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Gundy
Premium
reply to BKayrac

If anyone puts in some time and decides to play look me up, I'm on quite a bit and have a span of characters to group with depending on the level differences.

Looking for some people to party with especially high level farming.
--

TheThing

reply to BKayrac

In game:

Hiltzar

yes this game is the shit, no AH to ruin the excitement of finding/making my own gear

its not an AH game, its a loot game, very nice

Samus82
Radly

join:2002-01-29
Alsip, IL
reply to BKayrac

i have been having nothing but a blast playing it. But i do have a few miffs about it.

The whole idea of this whole "Huge skill tree that can make your warrior also cast spells" and "your wizard wield an axe" to make your toon so unique is kind of bull dunk.

In reality if you take a warrior and go down the spell tree, he will be a half assed warrior and a half assed wizard that will be half as good as any warrior or wizard that followed their respective trees.

At least that just how i see it. I think they are trying new awesome stuff that is different, but i think they have to watch out. There becomes a point at witch trying to be different can just be stupid and convoluted.

They also need to fix the map and mini map. I mean come on it REALLY does look like its out of Diablo 1.

Alot of shit in this game is dark as hell too. I cant see shit sometimes...

Can they put a "exit to charicter selection screen" in the menu? Right now its exit game, or exit to login.

Great game , its all the gripes i can think of now.
--
Opinion is just a word people hide behind to try and justify them believing stupid things. It sure is easy to believe in something completely and totally stupid, say it's your "Opinion" and then everyone has to respect it.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

Been playing the shit out of it.

I think the maps thing....there is actually a skill later on I think that makes the map better. I think.

I agree about the skill tree, and it is difficult as FUCK to figure out what path you should take. I like the options, but it needs some way of filtering, or searching or something. My witch, for example, use zombies, there are 3-4 different places to pick up extra minions, but some are waaaaaaay over in the warrior / strength area. Be nice if I could find them all easier to plan my path.

Targetting is a bit rough. I'm using a fire AOE spell, which is awesome, but if I had to rely on costant wand aiming casting, I'd be pissed, I think.

Zombies AI is pretty bad...but then again, they're zombies.

I don't like that town portals can close on you after 8-15 min of being in town. It takes a lot of time to explore a map, and losing all of that because I'm sorting through items , or listening to the long winded quest details SUCKS.

I leave so much loot on the ground. Even just picking up blues, I get my packs full so fast. Need a way of doing something with the items without going to town.

What do you guys do with your items? I love the orbs, but I've been stockpiling and haven't used them, as I don't know if I'll need them more later on. I always do this, and it gets really annoying to myself.

Krimma is my name in game, so far. Look me up.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to BKayrac

Been getting kicked off server a lot lately or getting a blue screen and PC reboot about 4 times this week.Haven't had a blue screen in years.This game still needs a lot of work.I'm glad that its free.Still have mixed feelings about it though.Skill tree is pretty confusing and big that you have to go scrolling all over just to investigate a branch of the tree.That could have been streamlined a bit.The map sucks.
Don't care for dungeons being reset and map gone after about 15 minutes even though you have cleaned it out.Think they need to add more time before they reset a level.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN

1 recommendation

reply to Koil

said by Koil:

I love the orbs, but I've been stockpiling and haven't used them, as I don't know if I'll need them more later on.

I think of the orbs as crafting mats basically. Every one or two major level break on weapons (req level to wield) I will craft me a new weapon if I haven't found a decent one. If I have a decent weapon, I may choose some other armor piece that is lagging behind or is crappy in stats.

The nice thing is, you can start with a grey. Sometimes even recommended to do this in my opinion because it gives you greater flexibility to find the number, color & links of sockets you need. Start with a couple whetstones or armor scraps to increase the quality first. These work 5% on greys, 4% on blues and 2% on yellows (I think). Anyway, do your quality improvement while it's still grey. Then, do a normal --> magic item transmutation or get wild and use an orb a chance for a chance to turn it into a yellow. Once you do that, you can add or change your magical properties with your other orbs. Have a yellow already but the sockets are the wrong color? Use a chromatic.

I'm really liking this aspect of the game. The ability to basically build your gear to your liking is really cool. Obviously the magical effects you get are random, but you can take a couple shots at it with the orbs and get some really nice gear.

Oh, and I found my first legendary this week-end. Immediately turned around and handed it to my buddy who could use it more than me. lol

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

Think I'll give it a shot today!

I was so pissed....I finally got a support gem. I was amp'd because it said "Increased Elemental Weapon Damage". In my excitement, I assumed this would go on my wand and would count towards my spells as well.

Not so fast....evidently, weapon is weapon, and I'm guessing there is a support gem for spells, as this doesn't seem to change shit on my spell numbers.
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to BKayrac

Yep, make sure you read things closely. So your wand that has 1-5 lightning damage additional on it now would have 1.6-8 damage. At least that's how I read that one.

And support gems are a bitch to socket. Finding the perfect combination to even use them.

Coolbrz

join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to BKayrac

Got my marauder up to level 55, on the final Piety quest in Act 3. Having a rough time thus far, need to try and find a better gem combo and possibly alter my play style a bit. And get some better armor heh. Had to re-spec a few points here and there, think im almost back on the correct path. Ill see tonight heh.

But all in all, still having fun with it.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to BKayrac

I guess I might have to install this shit and try it out.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to BKayrac

You all sold me, my in game name is bionicRod. I have only put ten minutes or so into it but will be playing today.