share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

SAMBA4 w/ AD released

Surprised I have not seen this here.

No longer does having an Active Directory (AD) domain controller on a network automatically mean that, somewhere in the building, a Microsoft server is lurking. Today's release announcement of Samba 4.0 means that it is now possible to control an AD domain from a non-Windows system.

"Samba 4.0 comprises an LDAP directory server, Heimdal Kerberos authentication server, a secure Dynamic DNS server, and implementations of all necessary remote procedure calls for Active Directory," wrote lead Samba developer, Jeremy Allison.

»www.zdnet.com/samba-4-released-b···0008654/

PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

Pretty cool, but i think there is more cost on implementing Samba4 than actually purchasing Windows Server.

This would had been a game changer years ago, but today i see it more of a "let me show you it can be done" than a fully supported solution.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

said by PToN:

Pretty cool, but i think there is more cost on implementing Samba4 than actually purchasing Windows Server.

This would had been a game changer years ago, but today i see it more of a "let me show you it can be done" than a fully supported solution.

They started this about 10 years ago, back when, as you say, it would have been a game changer.
Perhaps this will lay the groundwork for a fully open source replacement of AD.
At the same time, if your goal is to keep your shop free of Windows and/or open-source, then I'm not sure why you'd implement a clone of MS technology. I'm sure there are reasons though.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

I was thinking more for the smaller shops that want to be able to control their desktops with group policy, etc. because they have to run windows based products but do not want the expenditure of having to shell out for windows server.