Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT to johoja

Premium Member

to johoja

Re: Bell FTTH question

1st, dont call them for support if you have issue.. they will tell you to put back the Sagemcom.. and if you have TV, forget the removal of the Sagemcom...

Internet is on Vlan35.. you then know what to do on pfsense
johoja
join:2010-11-09

johoja to darkrabbit

to darkrabbit
What's the best way to get my pFsense to work correctly using just the ONT , and getting rid of the sagecom, is it possible ?
darkrabbit
join:2012-12-12

darkrabbit to cataplexy

to cataplexy
Dynamically assigned once you connect via PPPoE. When you disconnect PPPoE and reconnect, you'll get a new IP.

Rogers is dynamic as well but I kept the same IP for a year and a half, regardless of any power outages. They use DHCP.

So with Bell, if you want to keep the IP for a while, I'd highly recommend slapping the modem on a UPS so you don't drop your PPPoE connection.

-J
cataplexy
join:2013-01-27
Quebec, QC

cataplexy to darkrabbit

to darkrabbit
For FTTH 50/50, is the IP static or dynamic?
darkrabbit

darkrabbit to Rigor_M

to Rigor_M
That blows I couldn't possibly care less about Bell's "Apps" but VOD is used quite often.

Well what I've done in the meantime is drop my FW in the DMZ, which works very well actually. IPSec and SSL VPN works fine. I have IPSec working from my PA firewall to a Fortigate at my colo, and client IPSec and SSL VPN works fine inbound to the firewall. I am a little surprised it was that easy... usually IPSec gets upset when NATed.

So in and out work great, and I get full speed. I still use my own VoIP solution which needs a public IP as well, and that I can't get from Bell so I am keeping a basic Rogers cable internet service for now. Oh well, it's useful for redundancy.

Rogers is piloting fibre now as well though. 250 / 250! And if it works anything like their cable modems and they come to my area, Bell will be gone VERY quickly.

-J

Rigor_M
join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
Did not work last time i made some tests.

when saying VOD, I mean by that, all subscribed channel that also have vod like Prise2, SE, Casa, etc...

I did not try to rend a movie.

Also, Galaxie music did not work (not the channel but the apps) -- that one maks more sens that it did'nt work

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT to Rigor_M

Premium Member

to Rigor_M
VOD will work even without PPPoE in the sagemcom.

Rigor_M
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to darkrabbit

to darkrabbit
said by darkrabbit:

Do you mean with TV AND Internet or with Internet only? There are a number of threads where people got it to work Internet only I believe simply by spoofing the MAC and tagging outbound traffic on 35...

So from here, if for TV and Internet I MUST keep it inline, the question is how to get PPPoE passthrough working?

-J

Thats just it, you cant.. now without activating another port on the ONT..

for internet + TV, if you remove the PPPoE login from the sagemcom, you wont get VoD + apps working on the TV.. and removing the sagemcom from port 1 of the ONT, then, you wont get TV period.

Bell has squized the ball on this one.. they made sure that WE HAVE to use there equipement and nothing else.
darkrabbit

darkrabbit to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
Do you mean with TV AND Internet or with Internet only? There are a number of threads where people got it to work Internet only I believe simply by spoofing the MAC and tagging outbound traffic on 35...

So from here, if for TV and Internet I MUST keep it inline, the question is how to get PPPoE passthrough working?

-J

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT to darkrabbit

Premium Member

to darkrabbit
The sagemcom need to stay the 1st device after the ONT. there is no way yet to put it differently.
darkrabbit

darkrabbit to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
Ok so I finally got my service installed. I have both Fibe TV and FTTH 50/50.

Has anyone been able to get PPPoE passthrough working on the Sagemcom with both TV and Internet? Some combination of resets, disabling things, etc? I can't seem to get PPPoE working on the firewall behind the Sagemcom, I guess Bell disabled multiple PPPoE logins (from the seaches I did).

I can drop the Sagemcom behind the firewall I suppose, and tag traffic leaving while dropping all PPPoE packets. That would allow the firewall to do PPPoE... I just now have to spoof the MAC of the Sagemcom on the firewall WHILE keeping the Sagemcom on an internal port, which would probably cause my switch to go a little nuts. I could pass it through multiple routes (as a MAC doesn't survive a route), but that seems like more work than needed...

I do have a L3 switch I can use to do some wizardry if I need to.. I guess I just need to know more about how the TV portion works.

Any ideas?

In the meantime, I am going to setup a span port and hook up a packet analyzer between the Sagemcom and the ONT. I need to understand a little more what I am dealing with.

-J

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT to darkrabbit

Premium Member

to darkrabbit
only for multicast stream.

the internet apps on the tv go through vlan35 (internet)

Rigor_M
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to morisato

to morisato
I agree that its DHCP, but is that for the feed AND internet apps (do they both got out on vlan36) or is the vlan35 used for the TV's apps ?
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
The Tv portion of the Sagecom is not pppoe it is DHCP.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT to Rigor_M

Premium Member

to Rigor_M
You cant do that as there is only one port enabled on the ONT.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Rigor_M

to Rigor_M
I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that only one ethernet port on the ONT is actually active.

Rigor_M
Quebec, QC

Rigor_M to tbb73

to tbb73
said by tbb73:

For internet only it's very easy to get rid of the Sagemcom. Tag with ID 35 and spoof the MAC address of the Sagemcom... that's it, easy.

For the TV this is different. You need another VLAN ID (36), you need some static routes and complicated DNS setup because the sagemcom will redirect some DNS requests to the TV service DNSs at Bell...

Did you try to NOW spoof the sagemcom's MAC address ?

What i'm thinking is, leave the sagemcom for my TV feed and use another ethernet port on the ONT to connect my router with vlan 35 on its wan side.

the thing is, Bell stopped accepting multiple PPPoE logins so that makes it impossible to bridge the sagemcom and put a personal firewall behind it.

If its possible to not use the b1xxx code in the sagecom and NOT spoof its mac, it would be possible to use a personal router directly in the ONT

any toughts on this ?

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

LondonDave to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
My sagemcom is still configured so if I ever have problems I'll hook that back up before even trying bell. I'm afraid of how confused bell would be if I tried to explain things.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to LondonDave

to LondonDave
and if u do have problems, will bell help you? what if something ends up not working? what is your backup plan?

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON

LondonDave to amrdave

Premium Member

to amrdave
I'm on the 15/15 profile so I'm not really working the 1812 too hard. I was able to push the rogers 75/2 through it previously without any problems.

amrdave
@amazonaws.com

amrdave to LondonDave

Anon

to LondonDave
How's the throughput on your 1812? What kind of profile (speed) do you have?

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON

LondonDave to tbb73

Premium Member

to tbb73
Very easy. I removed my sagemcom from the FTTH ONT and hooked up the f0.35 port from my cisco 1812 and I'm up and running with one less device on the wall.
tbb73
join:2008-09-24
Apollo Beach, FL

tbb73 to STN

to STN
For internet only it's very easy to get rid of the Sagemcom. Tag with ID 35 and spoof the MAC address of the Sagemcom... that's it, easy.

For the TV this is different. You need another VLAN ID (36), you need some static routes and complicated DNS setup because the sagemcom will redirect some DNS requests to the TV service DNSs at Bell...

STN
join:2004-12-29
Canada

STN to darkrabbit

to darkrabbit
I would caution against replacing the Sagemcom in an FTTH setup. VLAN tagging is not the only required markings on the packets going into the ONT. For internet you may be ok, but for TV the Sagemcom marks the traffic in very specific ways.

zed173
join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON

zed173 to Pauly

to Pauly
It's also a company that makes firewalls
Expand your moderator at work

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to LondonDave

to LondonDave

Re: Bell FTTH question

sorry im new to ftth what does paloalto mean?
Pauly

Pauly to LondonDave

to LondonDave
palo alto? isnt that california?

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON

LondonDave to darkrabbit

Premium Member

to darkrabbit
That's my plan this weekend. Why waste power on the sagemcom when I don't need it.
You may have to spoof the Mac of the sagemcom tho.