how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

amrdave

@amazonaws.com
reply to LondonDave

Re: Bell FTTH question

How's the throughput on your 1812? What kind of profile (speed) do you have?

LondonDave

join:2011-09-05
canada
reply to tbb73

Very easy. I removed my sagemcom from the FTTH ONT and hooked up the f0.35 port from my cisco 1812 and I'm up and running with one less device on the wall.

tbb73

join:2008-09-24
Blainville, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to STN

For internet only it's very easy to get rid of the Sagemcom. Tag with ID 35 and spoof the MAC address of the Sagemcom... that's it, easy.

For the TV this is different. You need another VLAN ID (36), you need some static routes and complicated DNS setup because the sagemcom will redirect some DNS requests to the TV service DNSs at Bell...

STN

join:2004-12-29
Canada
reply to darkrabbit

I would caution against replacing the Sagemcom in an FTTH setup. VLAN tagging is not the only required markings on the packets going into the ONT. For internet you may be ok, but for TV the Sagemcom marks the traffic in very specific ways.

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON
reply to Paolo

It's also a company that makes firewalls

Expand your moderator at work

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to LondonDave

Re: Bell FTTH question

sorry im new to ftth what does paloalto mean?

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to LondonDave

palo alto? isnt that california?

LondonDave

join:2011-09-05
canada
reply to darkrabbit

That's my plan this weekend. Why waste power on the sagemcom when I don't need it.
You may have to spoof the Mac of the sagemcom tho.

darkrabbit

join:2012-12-12
reply to Qsig

Thanks guys. Yeah the 'wall will do PPPoE on the interface. I just need to tag traffic I guess, so that's no issue. But.. the fibre connection coming in is an 802.1q tag, is it? So am I right in saying that I could connect the media converter / ONT into a switch which can split VLAN 35 and 36 (TV) off, then hook my FW to a switchport on VLAN 35?

-J

Qsig

join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON
reply to darkrabbit

As stated is still uses PPPoE; If you can tag traffic as VLAN 35 on the interface of the Palo Alto box, you can go directly from the Alcatel-Lucent ONT they'll give you to the firewall. This will skip the Sagemcom 2864 they provide.

I go from this box to my pfsense box so hopefully your firewall can do PPPoE on the interface.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2
reply to darkrabbit

FTTH still uses PPPoE. However, the days of "dialing" into your broadband connection are long gone. Modern day modems/routers handle the PPPoE connection for you so that you are always on. Pretty much a set it and forget it situation.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to darkrabbit

FTTH still works with PPPOE.

darkrabbit

join:2012-12-12

Hi all, I have some technical questions with respect to Bell's FTTH in Ontario.

Currently I have Rogers. My modem is in passthrough as it goes into a Palo Alto firewall with DHCP enabled. I get a real public IP on the FW of course. I need this as I use SSL and IPSEC VPN's to my colo.

Now apparently in our new house FTTH will be available, which is awesome since I was hoping they would give me light Unfortunately the reason I've never gone with Bell is because of their archaic use of phone lines and, worst of all, PPPoE, which is for all intents and purposes "dial up" (having to give a user ID and password prior to connection is something I haven't done since I had a 28.8k modem). Then the public IP used to rotate frequently on the outside while you'd get a private IP inside. All quite useless.

So I am wondering about FTTH, and whether the same old junk applies. Do I have to have an ID / password to "dial up" to my fibre connection? I am hoping they drop a fibre line in with a media converter or router, tip their hat and say "good luck". Sort of what they do with corporate fibre drops.

So for those with FTTH what are my options here? I NEED incoming traffic to work to the Palo Alto, a public IP, and I don't mind DHCP because I never disconnect.

-J