53403-1242

plencnerb to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Java Updates/Java SE 6 Update 38/Java SE 7u10

32 Bit

64 Bit
Click for full size
While that may be true, there are still differences.

For example, the removal of the "Update" Tab from the 64 bit version that is present in the 32 bit one (See pictures)

Also, on the "Java Runtime Environment Settings" screen, you can only update the settings for the last one you installed. If you have both, and want to make changes to both directories, you cannot do that. This is in reference to where the "javaw.exe" is located, and if you want to enable / disable a given platform. The last picture I posted only shows the directory and info for the 64 bit, but I do have both installed.

--Brian

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

If you have both, and want to make changes to both directories, you cannot do that.

Because they use/share the same "deployment.properties" file.

FYI on some versions of Windows the Control Panel applet won't let you change the cache folder at all (greyed out). You can edit the "deployment.properties" file (plain text) manually to do it though.
quote:
deployment.user.cachedir=pathname

Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

While that may be true, there are still differences.

For example, the removal of the "Update" Tab from the 64 bit version that is present in the 32 bit one (See pictures)

Also, on the "Java Runtime Environment Settings" screen, you can only update the settings for the last one you installed. If you have both, and want to make changes to both directories, you cannot do that. This is in reference to where the "javaw.exe" is located, and if you want to enable / disable a given platform. The last picture I posted only shows the directory and info for the 64 bit, but I do have both installed.

--Brian

Java website has historically been slow in getting updates. After it did not show the latest version, I did a "check for updates" (that was disabled in java panel) in Java panel in Control Panel. It fetched the new version which I installed. I removed the check mark (which gets put back if you check for updates from the Java panel) to check automatically. Everything is fine. That is, until just now, as I was reading the new posts in this thread and decided to open Java in Control Panel again. The check mark to check automatically was back! ??? Maybe I dreamed that I removed it after I got the update...but maybe you can't permanently remove it in Windows 8. I have to keep an eye on it.

When I got this new computer, I only installed the 32 bit version. Why do I need the 64 bit one also? Most programs are 32 bit.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Why do I need the 64 bit one also? Most programs are 32 bit.

If you use a 64-bit browser (IE comes in both 32 and 64-bit versions) you need the 64-bit version of Java for it (it won't see or use 32-bit Java). But as you said most browsers are (still) 32-bit so it probably isn't necessary.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

IE comes in both 32 and 64 bit? So, do I have both on my Windows 8? I rarely use IE and I don't like IE 10. I sort of liked IE 8 that I have on a virtual machine. IE is just horrible for tabs ....still.

I use Fx, Sea Monkey and Opera and they are 32 bit. Mozilla recently dropped development of Fx 64 bit.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

So, do I have both on my Windows 8?

You should. My Win7 x64 box has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE9.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

So, do I have both on my Windows 8?

You should. My Win7 x64 box has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE9.

How do I tell which version of IE is being used? It doesn't say in "About IE".

I guess 32 bit is what I have on Win 8 because I only have 32 bit version of Java and IE 10 just did a speed test that requires Java. Java is not built into IE 10 is it (like Flash is)?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

IE9 64-bit
On my Win7 x64 box I have two shortcuts (pre-installed).

Internet Explorer (64-bit)
Internet Explorer

IE10 does come in a 64-bit version (»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=35709) but perhaps it wasn't pre-installed by Dell on your Win8 machine.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

My About IE doesn't say whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

My About IE doesn't say whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

Well the 32-bit version of IE9 doesn't say anything either.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I think you have to have "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" enabled in IE advanced options in order to use IE10 64-bit desktop. After you enable Enhanced Protected Mode, incompatible add-ons will automatically be disabled. If you encounter a site that needs an add-on such as Flash in order to work, you can disable Enhanced Protected Mode just for that particular Web site. I can't remember if the about window would tell you afterwards?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Sigh...I have about 120 tabs open (great thing about Win 8 and Fx 10 ESR...it runs tons of tabs with no problems unlike on XP Pro) and I can't find the one where I have half a post already written in this thread in reply to you. (If thumbnails were working in the tabs I could locate it easier).

Anyhow, I checked in Explorer and I have both versions of IE and I am using 64 bit version that I patched yesterday. (I didn't think about needing to download the 32 bit patch also).

I also checked Java Panel and it shows in Advanced tab that Java is enabled for IE but grayed out so you cannot unenable it.

Then I went and read some articles and evidently, IE 10 (not just Metro version that I uninstalled but also desktop version) no longer uses plugins. So, I guess that is why it is grayed out in Java Panel. I also read of users complaining that Java won't work on IE 10. Maybe Web 100 sites (that is what I did for a speed test) that use Java applet are using HTML 5 or something for IE 10? I did not see the Java applet coffee cup load before the test started. It just ran when I clicked on start.

I just now did a Visualware MySpeed test (new server at Bakersfield, CA) using IE 10. That is a Java test and Java speed tests are the only reason I have Java. It ran just fine (again no indication that Java applet was loading). I'm sure Visualware is still using only Java for speed tests as they feel strongly about this. So, how am I able to use Java without a plugin on IE 10? Did Microsoft add Java to IE builtin just before Win 8 release or what????
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Click for full size
No, I have "Protected Mode" OFF and I am using IE 10 64bit.

But I see now what is happening. Since I didn't install Java 64 bit, IE 10 64 bit uses the 32 bit version. Plus, it hasn't been updated since Nov 28.

I guess using the Check for Updates button in Java Panel in Control Panel does not check for IE version but only for other browsers? Why doesn't it check for IE and if not then why doesn't it tell me it won't check for IE?

I now have a headache.

Oh, and Microsoft has not only neglected to provide proper links for Event Viewer events that link to TechNet for further information but has also failed to provide proper links in IE 10 to further information regarding these two Java plugins. I click for further information and Fx opens a Bing page with a search full of not relevant information.

The java.com page not only still has the old version but it does not even MENTION Windows 8! Oracle needs to update the entire site. It says that if I am using IE 64 bit version it will state that but that is correct for Windows 7 not Windows 8 which Java.com website doesn't even know exists. Oracle is LAZY.
Mele20

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Click for full size
said by Dustyn:

I think you have to have "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" enabled in IE advanced options in order to use IE10 64-bit desktop. After you enable Enhanced Protected Mode, incompatible add-ons will automatically be disabled. If you encounter a site that needs an add-on such as Flash in order to work, you can disable Enhanced Protected Mode just for that particular Web site. I can't remember if the about window would tell you afterwards?

Aha! It runs in 64 bit with Enhanced Protected Mode OFF but not FULLY so Oracle uses 32 bit Java for situations like this.

"Why do I only get the 32-bit Java when I go to Java.com?
Java.com provides a Java version based on your browser and operating system
(OS). If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 8, you have access to 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer 10 on your system. The desktop version of the Windows 8 OS does not run in a full 64-bit mode (unless you have Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Explorer 10 turned on), thus 32-bit Java is the default."

»www.java.com/en/download ··· _faq.xml

That still does not tell me why in Java Panel on Advanced tab that IE 10 is checked but grayed out. I am hampered by the fact I did not update Java on XP for a long time so I had trouble now finding how to check to see what I have (other than using Windows Explorer and looking at files). Plus, first two tries of java.com check told me on IE that it couldn't finish checking which meant I had an old version on IE or it was badly installed. Third try at checking said I had no Java installed for IE 10 and fourth try said I needed the latest version but confirmed the "old" version Java SE7 Update 10 is working correctly. Then java.com site wanted to install the "latest" version (SE7 Update 9).

java.com is where most users will go and Oracle really needs to get the correct, latest version on there and in the areas of that site where they talk about versions of Windows they need to add Windows 8. They do have a FAQ on Java on IE on Win 8 on the site but, after reading in another section of their site that Java doesn't work past Windows 7, I never went looking for the FAQ on IE 10 on Windows 8 and just stumbled on it.