spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Really? No kidding?

"Earlier this week a Goldman Sachs analyst estimated that building out Google Fiber nationally would cost somewhere around $140 billion, with just half of the country costing somewhere around $70 billion"

LOL, Really? I would love to see the calculations that were done to reach this conclusion.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by battleop:

"Earlier this week a Goldman Sachs analyst estimated that building out Google Fiber nationally would cost somewhere around $140 billion, with just half of the country costing somewhere around $70 billion"

LOL, Really? I would love to see the calculations that were done to reach this conclusion.

Yeah, it's bullshit. I did some research and ran my own calculations - the real cost would be closer to 200-300 billion, and even then I think my estimate is too low.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
My post wasn't about the actual amount.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
reply to battleop
Probably 50% of that is Goldman's fee... They are liars and thieves and you can bet they pull their end before any money goes toward a build. They should be banned from working any financial arrangements with tax payer money. Thieves...

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to battleop
You mean the shear stupidity of stating that it would cost 140 billion for 100% of the country and 70 billion for 50% of it?

So if we do the first half and spend 70 billion that leaves us with only 140-70 = 70 billion to do the other half. Wait... thats not right.

Lets see if we take the whole country and divide it into 2 and then take the full amount of 140 and divide that into 2 (140/2) we are left with 70.

Hold on here... I think I am seeing a pattern.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1
reply to JTR
The ~$150 billion figure is pretty easy to reach.

As of August, Verizon was reporting average costs of around $700 per home past. As of 2011, there were 114,761,359 households in the US. So to connect all of those households, it would cost ~$80 billion.

Then we have to take into account actually running the fiber. After factoring in labor and other costs, you're looking at about $20,000 per mile. We have about 4 million miles of road in the US. So you have another ~$80 billion.

steevo22

join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T DSL Service
If Verizon said average cost was $700 per home, what was the median? It would be interesting to compare those. Average includes the hard ones.

I suspect 70% of the country would be easy to do, for much less.
If we just lopped off the hardest 30% we could do the 70%.

Then the last little bit could be worked on, but you know what that is: A 2 mile underground run to a development with 22 houses, there's just no way to make that one pay.