Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to battleop

to battleop

Re: Really? No kidding?

said by battleop:

"Earlier this week a Goldman Sachs analyst estimated that building out Google Fiber nationally would cost somewhere around $140 billion, with just half of the country costing somewhere around $70 billion"

LOL, Really? I would love to see the calculations that were done to reach this conclusion.

Yeah, it's bullshit. I did some research and ran my own calculations - the real cost would be closer to 200-300 billion, and even then I think my estimate is too low.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

My post wasn't about the actual amount.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to JTR

Premium Member

to JTR
The ~$150 billion figure is pretty easy to reach.

As of August, Verizon was reporting average costs of around $700 per home past. As of 2011, there were 114,761,359 households in the US. So to connect all of those households, it would cost ~$80 billion.

Then we have to take into account actually running the fiber. After factoring in labor and other costs, you're looking at about $20,000 per mile. We have about 4 million miles of road in the US. So you have another ~$80 billion.
steevo22
join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA

steevo22

If Verizon said average cost was $700 per home, what was the median? It would be interesting to compare those. Average includes the hard ones.

I suspect 70% of the country would be easy to do, for much less.
If we just lopped off the hardest 30% we could do the 70%.

Then the last little bit could be worked on, but you know what that is: A 2 mile underground run to a development with 22 houses, there's just no way to make that one pay.