spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

N4472X

join:2010-04-30

Hardware bandwidth monitor?

I have FiOS on a business account, with 5 static addresses.

I have a router on one address, a camera on another, a PC on another, etc.

I want to monitor the total bandwidth usage of all 5 devices, and see what each device is consuming.

These five devices connect to an external 8-port switch.
The switch connects to the ONT.

What can I plug in between the ONT and the 8-port switch which will allow me to monitor the usage as I have described?

Joe

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Click for full size
My FiOS polled by outside server
Click for full size
7 miles from me- FiOS polled by outside server
Click for full size
Example Traffic Polling from one of my devices
Usually SNMP is used for this exact purpose on a hardware level.

I personally run Cacti and have SNMP to a few devices, as well as ports on my switch before it hits my Actiontec router.

It gives nice graphs. I use it to monitor latency between myself and others, as well as a server that does the same monitoring to my equipment and others.

This is how I know exactly when slowdowns happen and latency goes up for everyone on FiOS in NYC/Long Island.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to N4472X
Above poster ^ this is sweet , what software or hardware you bought for that? I just use simple Netmeter and also my Netgear built in meter but what you showed here is amazing.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

My cacti
It's just standard cacti. What you need is a router or switch or whatever hardware you use to connect to the ONT that has to be able to run SNMP on it. This usually means an enterprise class router or managed/smart switch or if you have a basic consumer router you can put ddwrt or tomato or something on it and those will support SNMP.

You also need a webserver to do the graphing which pulls the stats off your SNMP router/switch

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to N4472X
my router can be flashed with DD-WRT I tried and I messed it up then I had to find a tutorial how to flash it back lol

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to patt2k
said by patt2k:

Above poster ^ this is sweet , what software or hardware you bought for that? I just use simple Netmeter and also my Netgear built in meter but what you showed here is amazing.

While I can't help with changing over to modified firmwares, I can only say that this software like we have said is called Cacti.

Just so you know, if in case you do not have the ability to SNMP your switch, you can always SNMP your machines directly. You just need to then research how to enable SNMP/community strings. Then you need a web server running 24/7 to poll your devices with the Cacti software.

I myself have two cacti servers running as Virtual Machines. One on my network and one on an outside server. This way when problems occur on FiOS in my area/all of NYC/Long Island, no can say one graph is wrong when the other says the exact same!

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Also here is the cacti website if you want to look into it more: »www.cacti.net

N4472X

join:2010-04-30
reply to RolteC
Thanks RolteC.

So, I would have to have a managed or smart switch, instead of a simple unmanaged switch connected to the ONT.

Let's suppose I want to keep my simple switch. What would be necessary to plug a laptop between the ONT and the simple switch? Two LAN ports, plus the same cacti software, all residing on the laptop?

This would make the laptop a nice analyser/diagnostic tool.

Any step-by-step instructions to make this work?

Joe

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
Yes, you will need a managed switch in order to do this. Regular unmanaged switches do not allow customization and services such as SNMP.

The only other way would be to instead poll the actual devices(computers). Not as simple as a switch because you will need to setup SNMP on each independent machine.

There are threads on Cacti's website for installing cacti. There is a good, self-installing version for Debian. Just download that ISO and run it. I prefer doing that as a virtual machine. »www.cacti.net/download_cacti.php

The second option would be the windows installer. But this can be iffy and not work sometimes. »forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14946

The option is yours from there. Next you might ask, how to customize, change graphs, get it working properly (smoothly), add templates that are not already part of it. I'll be honest, this will all takes hours of research, with a lot of trial and error. But worth it once you get it to work.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
reply to N4472X
I'd just go with a smart switch. A few weeks ago I picked up a used, "last years model" 24-port gigabit smart switch for $36+shipping off eBay.

/M

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
reply to N4472X
you can also build a pfsense box. it will graph traffic on all nics you assign as well as keep track of bandwidth per ip (i think thats what you want).

pfsense usually is used to act as a router but it can switch roles to a routing only platform without nat, or as a managed switch.

these are all installed and configured for the user on install. it takes minimal research and effort to get it running.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to N4472X
said by Dream Killer:

you can also build a pfsense box.

BIG +1 from me for pfSense! I've been using it with FIOS for over 3 years now and it puts $10,000 CISCO routers to shame

A couple screenies from my pfsense router: