Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr

Re: Upgrading phone -- Rogers is nuts

said by yyzlhr:

It's all changed now. You must wait until the contract associated with your last subsidized device is over in order to upgrade with no early upgrade fee.

Wow, first it was you couldnt upgrade after 1 year, then you cant upgrade after two years? wow...

Fuck them next phone i am not going on a contract for...

If only Wind had coverage up north in cottage country I'd be off Rogers in a flash.
HiVolt

HiVolt

Premium Member

Haha, I just checked my elgibility online on the Rogers site... My contract expires Oct 1st 2013.

iPhone 5 32GB Price before $50 HUP credit $329
Early Upgrade fee $130
Admin Fee $35

Total $494
Total w/tax $558

ROFLMAO... They can lick my you know what for that price... I'd rather pay $350 more and have an unlocked and contract free device that I can resell at a premium in the future due to it being unlocked.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by yyzlhr:

It's all changed now. You must wait until the contract associated with your last subsidized device is over in order to upgrade with no early upgrade fee.

Wow, first it was you couldnt upgrade after 1 year, then you cant upgrade after two years? wow...

If only Wind had coverage up north in cottage country I'd be off Rogers in a flash.

Well Rogers essentially switched to a similar system to Wind where you put your phone subsidy on a "tab" and if you want to upgrade early you need to pay off your tab. Just like the Wind, the tab is completely paid off within 3 years, or 2 if you take a two year contract instead. The difference is that the Rogers tab reduces faster then the wind tab as they use different formulas to calculate how much is paid off each month.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

Well Rogers essentially switched to a similar system to Wind where you put your phone subsidy on a "tab" and if you want to upgrade early you need to pay off your tab. Just like the Wind, the tab is completely paid off within 3 years, or 2 if you take a two year contract instead. The difference is that the Rogers tab reduces faster then the wind tab as they use different formulas to calculate how much is paid off each month.

Sure, but can't compare the monthly rates Rogers vs Wind... Not even close, as rogers nickel and dimes you on every feature...
Insilin1i
join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON

Insilin1i

I always do the hardware upgrades with Rogers because in the end you're going to be paying the same price monthly with or without the subsidized phone. Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

said by Insilin1i:

Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

For $50

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Stewy6:

said by Insilin1i:

Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

For $50

Yeah, what a ripoff, and especially in the case of an iPhone it requires no part on their action except sending the unlock request to Apple's servers so you can restore your phone thru iTunes and it unlocks that way.
Insilin1i
join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON

Insilin1i

It actually ends up being the same price as a regular unlocked iPhone since they offer you a $50 hardware upgrade credit at the beginning, well when you submit for it online.

Well it makes sense for some I guess, for me it was that they would only give me $20 in credits every month if I signed for 3 years. So I might as well get a phone since I'll pay the same price every month with it or without it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Insilin1i

Premium Member

to Insilin1i
said by Insilin1i:

I always do the hardware upgrades with Rogers because in the end you're going to be paying the same price monthly with or without the subsidized phone. Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

But you are stuck for 3yrs, with an unlocked/no contract deal, you can jump at the first good deal that comes along.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by elwoodblues:

said by Insilin1i:

But you are stuck for 3yrs, with an unlocked/no contract deal, you can jump at the first good deal that comes along.

There is some merit to that point. The big 3 doesn't often come up with good deals and if they do, they are subsequently copied by everyone else anyways.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

you dont know how many ppl are dying to pay the early upgrade fee, ie more money, to upgrade to a phone sooner. people dont think they just pay pay pay

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by yyzlhr:

If you don't spend a lot of time up there....I think Wind does have roaming packages, or you could put call forwarding to a different provider -- I am thinking Petro Canada, when you're up north. Petro Canada is $25 and it's good for 120 days I believe.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

If you don't spend a lot of time up there....I think Wind does have roaming packages, or you could put call forwarding to a different provider -- I am thinking Petro Canada, when you're up north. Petro Canada is $25 and it's good for 120 days I believe.

It's not voice minutes that worry me, it's the data roaming. Wind roaming is $1 per Megabyte... So yeah, no thanks...

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
Wind pays off 10% of your monthly bill off of your WindTab. So if you got a $200 phone for free, and you cancel after 6 months, and you had a $40 plan, you'd owe $200 minus $24 (6 months * $4). Not sure how Rogers does it now, but it's $10 per month for data to maximum $100 and $20 per month up to a maximum of $400, so regardless if you cancel after 6 months or a year and a half, you're out $500. Wind at least is clear and honest about it.

With Wind, your balance will NOT be paid off after 36 months, their promise is to $0 balance your phone in the 37 month.

Again, though, you can't compare the two services. How much would Rogers charge for Canada/USA wide unlimited, unlimited incoming, caller ID, unlimited Data (but throttled after 6GB) 1 cent international calling (to non-cell phones), unlimited global texting and voice mail?

Well, a hell of a lot more than the $40 that Wind charges. Closest thing I can find with Rogers is $105 for a similar service (not everything though) But it would be unlimited Canada and 6GB of data only. I don't believe that includes voice mail and caller ID. (nor US wide calling)
J E F F4

J E F F4 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
If you're just looking for data, why not just get the rocket stick at $5 a month for the Flex plan, it goes to $17 for 250 MB and $37 for 5GB.

Although that is the one issue with Wind...lack of coverage.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Wind pays off 10% of your monthly bill off of your WindTab. So if you got a $200 phone for free, and you cancel after 6 months, and you had a $40 plan, you'd owe $200 minus $24 (6 months * $4). Not sure how Rogers does it now

I think Rogers does equal division now - the % of the subsidy you have to pay back is equal to the % of the term left on your contract.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by J E F F4:

Wind pays off 10% of your monthly bill off of your WindTab. So if you got a $200 phone for free, and you cancel after 6 months, and you had a $40 plan, you'd owe $200 minus $24 (6 months * $4). Not sure how Rogers does it now

I think Rogers does equal division now - the % of the subsidy you have to pay back is equal to the % of the term left on your contract.

I think that that is true, however, from what I can tell, data is still separate from the Economic Recovery Fee. So an additional $100 on top of it. However, the site is unclear to exactly what they mean, despite "in other words".

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'm going to run out my contract with Rogers then explore my options...

I might even ride it out with the iPhone 4...

Right now it would cost me $400 in ETF fees... no freakin way.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to J E F F4

to J E F F4
Yep.

And the administrative fee. And the "Day ending in Y" fee. And the "Hah! You really thought it would be that easy?" fee. And the fee for incurring extra fees.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
My early upgrade fee is $195, not sure what my ETF is though.

Just a little pissed off because I have issues with the phone, and Rogers is doing little to help, despite that it is still under warranty.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

Just a little pissed off because I have issues with the phone, and Rogers is doing little to help, despite that it is still under warranty.

fry it, if they refuse to help... PM me if you need help with that.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

said by bt:

said by J E F F4:

I think that that is true, however, from what I can tell, data is still separate from the Economic Recovery Fee. So an additional $100 on top of it. However, the site is unclear to exactly what they mean, despite "in other words".

The economic recovery fee is split into a voice and data portion. However, with most premium smartphones the "recovery fee' aka the subsidy is heavily shifted towards the data side. For example the galaxy s3 typically carries a voice subsidy of only $50 and the rest of the subsidy is from the data side.

DS256
Premium Member
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON

DS256 to bt

Premium Member

to bt
@bt. There is no prorating at least for commercial. I lost my phone on Jan 26th and they want $700 to replace my iPhone. My term is up March 3rd so I am doing without until then.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well I just bought my new iPhone5 unlocked last night (yay Jailbreak). Rogers and their contracts can go fudge themselves.

And god damn, LTE is fast.

yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to DS256

to DS256
said by DS256:

@bt. There is no prorating at least for commercial. I lost my phone on Jan 26th and they want $700 to replace my iPhone. My term is up March 3rd so I am doing without until then.

That does not sound right, if your contract ends in a month, you should only have to pay an early upgrade fee of $13 plus the subsidized cost of the phone and admin fee. For an iPhone that would be much less than $700
cidknee0
join:2009-02-28

cidknee0

That all depends on the corporate plan they are on. We had one phone lost and it was coming up due in 6 months, no charges.

But other companies I've worked at it was full price.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by DS256:

That does not sound right, if your contract ends in a month, you should only have to pay an early upgrade fee of $13 plus the subsidized cost of the phone and admin fee. For an iPhone that would be much less than $700

I called today and somehow the clown on the phone thought i was cancelling my contract (less then 60 days left). He comes up with a $125!!!

First with 60 days left I'm not going to cancel, so when I asked, it was $25 for the data and a minimum of $100 for the voice!!!

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to Insilin1i

to Insilin1i
said by Insilin1i:

Yeah good luck, I paid these bastards a $450 early contract termination fee for my iPhone 4 and they refused to give me the unlock code for it, telling me that they "never" unlock phones for anybody even after they finish their contract.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Yea, and Rogers is nailing some poor bugger BIG TIME on Kijiji selling a pair of Tablets 'cause he's had enough of their shit too..........
said by ANOTHER ROGERS VICTIM :

Selling for only $350. Price is firm because I have a $500 penalty to pay for canceling my plan with them. Also an option to take over plan at $25 a month for 33 months which is cost of the data and then the tablet is free.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Yeah good luck, I paid these bastards a $450 early contract termination fee for my iPhone 4 and they refused to give me the unlock code for it, telling me that they "never" unlock phones for anybody even after they finish their contract.

Yup, even though they have new policies and all of your claims have been called into question with no response from you, keep telling people that they're screwed because the picked Rogers.

New policies have you paying the subsidy off, exactly like Wind.

They will now unlock phones for you. That's a new policy as of today.

Let's not let the truth get in the way of your ranting though.