join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

1 edit

DrStrange to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Java Updates/Java SE 6 Update 38/Java SE 7u10

No. Never had to do that before.

I already tried uninstalling 7u10 and re-installing. I'll try rolling back to 7u9, then uninstalling that and installing 7u10. If that doesn't work, I'll have to find an uninstaller or muck around in the registry and delete all the keys which pertain to Java Runtime.

EDIT: Rolling back to 7u9, uninstalling that and then installing 7u10 worked.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

said by DrStrange:

No. Never had to do that before.

I already tried uninstalling 7u10 and re-installing. I'll try rolling back to 7u9, then uninstalling that and installing 7u10. If that doesn't work, I'll have to find an uninstaller or muck around in the registry and delete all the keys which pertain to Java Runtime.

Java has a terrible uninstaller. If you installed the 32-bit version then use the free version of Revo Uninstaller and make sure you choose the advance scan and make sure all the registry keys are checked off to delete. I had major problems installing Java and Revo made me remove it deleting over 1500 registry keys and let me reinstall it. I had to opt for the pro version because I had trouble with the 64-bit Java version that I could not remove it or update it.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 edit

ctggzg to DrStrange

Premium Member

to DrStrange
said by DrStrange:

That didn't work for me. The plugin came back when I rolled back to 7u9, but when I uninstalled 7u9 and reinstalled 7u10 the plugin was still missing.

EDIT: I did some more debugging. The 7u10 installer isn't creating the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@java.com/JavaPlugin,version=10.10.2 structure in the Windows registry. I worked around the problem by installing u9, exporting the registry keys, uninstalling u9, installing u10, and restoring the registry keys (with a few changes to fix the version number).
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

I had Java 6 u38 and I uninstalled it rebooted the PC first, and then installing Java 7 u10.

U always SHOULD reboot the PC after uninstalling any versions of Java just to be on the safe side. It may clear everything out from the previous versions.

Java 7 u10 running fine on IE 8 and Firefox 10.0.11-ESR....No issues.