how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bmac1024

join:2011-11-09
Cumberland, MD

Speeds slow around 7pm...

The past month during the time around 7 pm till about 12pm, I have been getting the slowest speeds ever. »i.imgur.com/T5rHl.png
Its not my router since it does same thing directly connected into computer, clean computer no viruses. I have the 20/2 package, during the day its fine. Anyone have any ideas?

JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

I checked tonight around 7pm and then around 7:50. I have constant speed equal to what I'm provisioned for.

Maybe you have a heavily saturated node where you are.

allstar89

join:2012-12-13
Cumberland, MD

1 edit
reply to Bmac1024

I have the same problems around this time. Last Result:
Download Speed: 5806 kbps (725.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2118 kbps (264.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 38 ms
Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:21:11 PM

Bmac1024

Cumberland, MD
reply to JimmyK814

They have told me my node is fine and don't have that problem anymore.

ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA
reply to Bmac1024

I would be happy to investigate these issues for either of the posters in this thread. We have not had any utilization issues for some time now, our DOCSIS 3 upgrades left us with a large amount of available bandwidth. However, weird things happen! I'd be glad to check further. Can you send PM's on this forum? If so feel free to PM me some info I can use to look up your account, physical address or modem mac address would be preferable.

On the topic of speed issues, I can explain our general troubleshooting methodology.

1. have the customer run a speed test.
2. if results are lower than listed speed
3. see if it is a signal issue. modem levels, etc.
4. if we don't see anything like that, ping the modem from our end
5. if not levels or packet loss (if it was we'd roll a service man for line issues)
6. have customer connect a pc direct to modem (assuming a router) and test again
7. if we still have slow speeds
8. check utilization
8. send a service man out to check lines, modem etc, run ping tests and speed tests from his cable testing unit.
9. if after a service call, put in a ticket with our engineers if problem is not resolved (engineer basically requires a tech to have been dispatched to rule out line issues, hence why there are two number 8's!)

The most common causes of slow speeds when a user call are, and this is in no particular order: router, mistaking a slow pc for slow internet (Internet Explorer opens real slow but the bandwidth is available), customer usage (someone running a torrent client and maxing out upload bandwidth.) After those, it is usually poor signal that gets fixed with a service call.

After that, well that is honestly like a 1 in a 1000 case. If we do have utilization issues, we know pretty quick, because everyone on the node calls us within a week or so to let us know. From there, it is a matter of engineering splitting the node, which takes a while. Nodes aren't off the shelf parts and it isn't a simple process to split a node.

allstar89

join:2012-12-13
Cumberland, MD

Hey ABBJason my speeds have been so bad for the past 2 months, same as Bmac1024's. Here is a speedtest at 10pm of what speed i get everynight. »imgur.com/7qShy

ABBJason

Altoona, PA

I see the screenshot, but as I said, to look into the matter further I would need some information to identify an account. If you don't want to provide that via this website, you can always call us toll free at 888-536-9600.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
reply to Bmac1024

I got your PM, and see the helpdesk ticket. I've emailed one of our engineers and management to see what we can find out. I will get back to you when I have more information.

Bmac1024

Cumberland, MD

1 edit
reply to Bmac1024

" The engineers checked and they aren't seeing any issues in the area that could be causing this. It also appears that you are the only one affected." Kinda funny how i'm the only one when i have 2 other friends it effects during the same time, also when it snowed and everyone was on the computer we all got 1 down all day. Terrible support considering they can see my speeds go down but have no answer for me.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2400770343.png

jstn

@atlanticbb.net
reply to Bmac1024

Yeah, Atlantic broadband is complete shit. This has been happening to me too. During the day internet connection is fine, during the night my download is about 2... They are ripping people off, you aren't getting what you are paying for. I'm going to contact FCC tomorrow about this problem.

Bmac1024

Cumberland, MD

»i.imgur.com/EfTY9.png ,

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
reply to Bmac1024

Just to clarify, you did leave out the parts of the private message I sent you where I suggested our next steps to continue working on the issue and find a resolution for you. Atlantic Broadband hasn't giving up on helping you. We would like to continue to work with you, if you are willing. It is disingenuous to suggest we have no answers, when we are still working to find the answer. We simply need to work with you. We can not fix it without your interaction and assistance.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
reply to jstn

If you are looking for help with a problem, please feel free to contact us. You can PM me here with some information so I can look at your account.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA
reply to ABBJason

I'll second the fact that ABB seems always willing to help. I've never been disappointed in that area.

Bmac1024

Cumberland, MD
reply to ABBJason

I never said there not willing to help? lol plus anyway i just got off phone with ABB and they was gonna have a tech come out tonight but there is another guy having the same problem in my area and they are going to his house tonight.

GaryK
Premium
join:2000-08-29
Miami, FL
reply to Bmac1024

I was surprised at your speed test result because whenever I use ABB's speed test utility it shows me the exact speeds I'm supposed to be getting: 110/5. It's only when I use a different site's speed tester that I see results which match the slowness I'm experiencing at the time, which almost all of the time is somewhere around what your speed test shows.

I hope you eventually get a resolution to your speed issue. I've given-up on any resolution to my speed issues and unfortunately I'm forced to use ABB by my condo association.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

Click for full size
I pay for 40/3 which is the fastest offered in this area, and it's pretty solid.

How much do you have to pay for 110 where you are?

EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL
reply to ABBJason

ABBJason,

Appreciate the support and the attention in these forums! It's great to have a direct line to someone who can help make things happen and answer questions.

That said, I have a question about my Internet speeds. I'm in the Miami Beach area, and while my speeds to the ABB speedtest site are adequate, my "real world" speeds to outside services (particularly Youtube, but also things like Amazon.com streaming, iTunes downloads, Xbox streaming and downloads, etc.) often run into issues or appear to be significantly slower than my "rated" speeds.

This leads me to believe that while the internal ABB network maybe humming along with plenty of capacity, there may be capacity limitations with the outside world.

Can you comment on this? Thanks again for your participation.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA

I'd be happy to look into it. I do know what you mean, what I can tell you is sometimes its hard to be sure that the other side is able to match your bandwidth.

What I mean, I have 20mb with Atlantic Broadband in PA. So I speed test on Atlantic Broadband's site, or speedtest.net, shows around 20mb. So I download a game on a service called Steam. I get 2.5Mbps which is equal to 20mbps. All good. So then I go to my Playstation 3, run a speedtest, 14.9mbps. Why the difference? I'm not sure honestly. My personal wireless router performs well, I can use wifi on laptops and ipads and get good results. So either the PS3's internal wireless adapter isn't up to par with the rest of my network, or the server they test to isn't accurate.

If we see problems a lot of places, a test called a trace route is useful to see where the problem may be. The problem could be outside of our network, and a trace route is the tool to show us that.

I have in the past, as a troubleshooting tool had customers download a large file, like a ISO for Ubuntu (a free to download linux OS) and see what throughput they get. I would be glad to look over your connection, and do some troubleshooting with you to see if there is a problem in network, or elsewhere. You can private message me on these forums with some account info and I'll start taking a look at your account.

As a general note, I usually check these forums 2 or 3 times a week depending on how busy we are etc.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

Speaking of routers. My package says that it includes free WIFI on my bill, what does that mean? Does that mean I can pick up a router to use for free, or does someone have to install it?

I have an existing router, but it is years old. Just wondering.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to JimmyK814

110 is only available in South Florida.

40/3 is the max speed offered here in Cumberland.

ABBJason

Altoona, PA
reply to JimmyK814

We started leasing routers a year or so ago. Some of the bundle deals include a router without an additional monthly charge. However, they do require the tech to come out and install them, and configure them. Basically if we are going to support the router, we're going to have to send someone out to hook it up and configure it. I know there are people out there who could set up their own router, I'm sure most of the people posting here could, but that is the company line. I don't want to quote the price because I'm not 100% sure it is the same in all markets, but it is usually less than a standard service call charge. Call customer service and double check. The current brand of router we carry is a Cisco-Linksys e1500.

They are testing all in one devices instead of stand alone routers now, so this may all change in the future.