uniqs
share rss forum feed

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Junk mail on *.net account.

The only reason I even have a *.net account used to log into my uverse account and receive information from them, I have never used it for anything else. The problem is I get many junk mails on the account about if about as many as I get on my regular e-mail account. Does AT&T sell account information to marketing companies? How else would I be getting this junk mail?

WheelMan6

join:2002-10-12
Stockbridge, GA

1 recommendation

Probably the same reason that I believe that people on AOL and other widely used email services get junk mail, spammers mass email those accounts with spam those accounts using bots that auto-generate a wide range of email names. If you have an email account that uses common words or names, you get "hit" like a bystander getting hit with a stray bullet.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to Msradell

»www.att.com/ecpnioptout/Initiate···m.action
Stick with your own email and just use that one for the account actions, e.g. billpay, ordering, and the paid apps like HBOGO, etc.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

The only reason I even have a *.net account used to log into my uverse account and receive information from them, I have never used it for anything else. The problem is I get many junk mails on the account about if about as many as I get on my regular e-mail account. Does AT&T sell account information to marketing companies?

No. While I was an AT&T customer, my email domain was, 'pacbell.net'. I still have a couple of those which don't get spam. I also signed up a free, 'att.net' email account (not associated with a DSL account); it gets no spam, either.

How else would I be getting this junk mail?

Spammers make WAGS (Wild Ass Guesses). If a user name works for @gmail.com, it might also work for @hotmail.com.

I once got spam with a recipient list. It included, 'Username@pacbell.net' (my email address) and, 'Username@nvbell.net' (not my email address). And a delivery attempt to my domain server (it failed; such user): 'mary@mydomain.example'.

Then there are the friends who use, "Cc:". And a dozen other ways.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum