how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

[motherboard] Asus M5A99X RAID Recover

Went to reboot my hyper-v machine this evening and noticed a critical on my RAID 10 array. Figured out which drive was bad, put a new one in however I can't for the life of me find anything to rebuild the array with the new drive. Does these AMD boards do it automatically, does the array need to be deleted and re-created with the new drive?

Any info appreciated,

Thanks

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
Played around in the RAID controller and found an option to add the new disk to a config called "Raid Ready" so I've done that. Maybe the drive needs to be in that for the array to grab the new drive and rebuild? Any thoughts?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Thoughts: see if the procedure is documented in the User Manual. The RAID section is usually in the back of the manual. You can refer to the PDF manual if you don't have the paper copy handy. Otherwise, I'd recommend referring to Asus Technical Support.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
Manual describes how to setup an array, how to add drives to the array, etc. Everything but the rebuild of the array with a new drive.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
Got a response from Asus Support. They said the following:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Carter and it''s my pleasure to help you with your problem.

In theory,if you connect a hard drive of which the capacity is same or higher than the bad device,the raid will be automatically rebuilded.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
to contact us.

I have yet to see a chipset raid controller autorebuild an array. I've seen it done on high end PCIe cards, but never with an onboard one. Anyone have any ideas?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA
Why not ask them "How do I verify the array has been rebuilt successfully?"

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
I guess that will be my next question. Never had such an issue before. Why there isn't a rebuild option in the controller is beyond me...

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
Well still no good news. I could verify that the two Hitachi drives were fine, just one of the back WD were shot. Instead of trying to figure out which, I decided to replace both WD with new ones. It's been 16HRS now, the rebuild of the array with the new drives still hasn't happened and still shows the array as critical. I'm starting to thinking the board is having issues? Asus support isn't providing me anymore assistance.

Max_War

join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON
reply to rustydusty
You could try a google search for 'asus rebuild raid' and check some of the links.

Seems like some people had to use software (NVRaid, Intel Raid, etc) and select an option to rebuild the array.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to rustydusty
Is what you're describing in the BIOS/RAID option ROM, or in AMD's RAIDXpert software?
--
KI6RIT

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
It's being done in BIOS and the onboard RAID ROM. The machine is a hyper-v 2008 R2 machine, so software is out of the question, obviously.

Been screwing with this for days. Replaced all drives, works for a bit then shows critical. Pulled the "bad" drive and put it in a different machine and works great. I've not put Hyper-v on a single disk with no redundancy and the VHD's on the RAID-10 array. Shows functional until I start moved the VHD images over to the drive. I've also done that latest BIOS update. Starting to thinking this board is a lemon. Asus support has become useless at this point. Would I be better off contacting newegg on this issue and get a replacement?

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB

1 edit
reply to rustydusty
Well, the RAID-10 has stayed in "Functional" for a few hours and after numerous reboots. Now though, when I go to move the images over, add them into hyper-v and start the VM, it's giving me the error that my processor is not capable of doing virtualization. Seems that the machine runs great when the array is showing critical and missing a drive. When the array shows functional, nothing else will work.

FYI, SVM is enabled and machine has been shutdown and started a few times.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

1 edit
reply to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

Replaced all drives, works for a bit then shows critical. Pulled the "bad" drive and put it in a different machine and works great.

I'd like to see SMART attributes for all of the disks in this RAID-10 array, preferably from smartmontools 6.0 (smartctl -x output). There may be something disk-level that's triggering the array to mark the drive as bad (such as an I/O request taking too long). I'm dealing with a user in this exact situation, though on an nVidia controller, in another thread.

smartmontools does not have support for AMD's driver shims (i.e. has no idea if ATA passthrough is offered or not) so you would need to put the disks on a different system attached to SATA ports that are non-RAID. Alternately I guess you could try switching from RAID mode to AHCI mode in your BIOS (so that they appear as individual/standard disks to the underlying driver subsystem, thus smartctl -x /dev/sda (for the first disk), smartctl -x /dev/sdb (for the 2nd disk), etc. would work). I would strongly suggest doing a full backup before trying this.

You can use smartctl --scan to get a list of all the /dev strings and arguments to pass smartctl. Also, if on Windows Vista or newer, make sure you try all of this running Command Prompt as Administrator.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

Well, the RAID-10 has stayed in "Functional" for a few hours and after numerous reboots. Now though, when I go to move the images over, add them into hyper-v and start the VM, it's giving me the error that my processor is not capable of doing virtualization.

Have you looked at the bios and made sure 3 things are set right:

1. Virtualization is set to on. This point on some AMD boards was effected by some bios' differently. Have you tried looking up bios' and if there was a specific fix at ASUS?
2. UEFI hasn't set "secure boot" and it's stopping the copy of the images?
3. You are still plugged into the AMD SB950 controller only (sounds like this is fine already, but with issues, the question has to be asked due to not being there to see)

Long shots but these would be the first things I'd consider show stoppers for your needs. But my gut suggests you know what you are doing and these are all fine. Just asking, so please do not take offense.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
said by norwegian:

said by rustydusty:

Well, the RAID-10 has stayed in "Functional" for a few hours and after numerous reboots. Now though, when I go to move the images over, add them into hyper-v and start the VM, it's giving me the error that my processor is not capable of doing virtualization.

Have you looked at the bios and made sure 3 things are set right:

1. Virtualization is set to on. This point on some AMD boards was effected by some bios' differently. Have you tried looking up bios' and if there was a specific fix at ASUS?
2. UEFI hasn't set "secure boot" and it's stopping the copy of the images?
3. You are still plugged into the AMD SB950 controller only (sounds like this is fine already, but with issues, the question has to be asked due to not being there to see)

Long shots but these would be the first things I'd consider show stoppers for your needs. But my gut suggests you know what you are doing and these are all fine. Just asking, so please do not take offense.

No affense taken. I actually turned Virtulization off, then back on and it would then load virtual machines. Unfortunately I'm out of town until friday. Before I left, the array was showing functional after numerous reboots and virtual machines running on it. After all virtual machines were moved to it, I performed one more reboot and still showed functional. I can remote in from my hotel and see that everything is working. Once home I will do a reboot and see if the array still shows functional. If not, the board is going back on an RMA. Never had so many issues before. The older Hyper-v machine is an older AMD and only had to do the RAID setup once, haven't had a single issue since. Not sure why this one is being such a pain in the rear.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
Well, just got home. Powered all virtual machines down and did a reboot. The array is still showing functional. Figure that out! No idea what I did, or what could have changed. After the 40-50th array setup it seems to be sticking now.