Hoffman Estates, IL

2 edits

1 recommendation

SuperNet

Premium Member

Google Maps for iOS Now Live in App Store

»itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ··· 354?mt=8

»www.macrumors.com/2012/1 ··· p-store/

The new Google Maps also offers a number of enhancements beyond what was offered when it powered the built-in Maps app on iOS 5 and earlier, most notably turn-by-turn directions. The absence of that feature from the built-in Maps app had been a major sticking point for the two companies, with its absence putting iOS at a disadvantage relative to Android and Google unwilling to add the feature to Maps for iOS unless Apple made concessions such as greater Google branding within the app and integration with Google Latitude.
Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
A number of reports had indicated that Google was working toward submission of its standalone Maps app, but some Google employees were reportedly pessimistic about its chances for approval.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

Bump since you actually added a description instead of my pure enthusiasm

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Not able to download

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

Not showing up when searching for the app from an iphone.
I manually typed the URL in Safari, then boom !

I was able to download and install the app.
No reviews yet, so I added one.
But reviews were not showing still.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Just able to download now
Curiosity
join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC

Curiosity to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I tried the new Google Maps, but they want you to have a Google account and sign in. I prefer the old Google Maps. There are no demands for anything in that one.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Curiosity:

I tried the new Google Maps, but they want you to have a Google account and sign in. I prefer the old Google Maps. There are no demands for anything in that one.

You can skip it

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Curiosity

MVM,

to Curiosity
said by Curiosity:

Supposedly one of the main reasons Apple dropped them - wouldn't agree to the level of tracking wanted to implement. But that's the price you pay with Google products.
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to SuperNet

MVM,

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

You can skip it

Still not seeing it in the App Store.. Does everything still work if you don't sign in (Navigation, etc)?

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

said by SuperNet:

You can skip it

Still not seeing it in the App Store.. Does everything still work if you don't sign in (Navigation, etc)?

See my post above.
So far, all things I tried are working without signing in.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by SuperNet:

You can skip it

Click on the link I posted to it

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Thanks. Got it that way, and looks like everything works without signing in thankfully.

Works pretty well so far. UI seems like a strange mashup of Android and iOS (that side bar to turn on traffic/public transit/etc is just downright ugly), but it's nice to have transit directions and navigation built in.

Now all I need is the iOS 6 jailbreak so I can upgrade from 5.1.1

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
No bicycle directions.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· g-high-u

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· g-high-u

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
For those who like to disable various snooping capabilities:

»www.redmondpie.com/how-t ··· r-iphone

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by Curiosity:

Supposedly one of the main reasons Apple dropped them - wouldn't agree to the level of tracking wanted to implement. But that's the price you pay with Google products.

Let me guess, according to Apple, it wasn't tracking enough? Or were you being sarcastic?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

And what level of tracking does Apple do inside it's Map application? Or were you just trolling?

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

Robert

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

And what level of tracking does Apple do inside it's Map application? Or were you just trolling?

The notion that Apple, a company accused of invading user privacy and tracking without authorization, ended an agreement with Google over privacy concerns is laughable.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You mean the anonymous traffic data that can clearly be turned off or the bug that was found a while ago that stored locations on the phone itself where it wasn't accessible to anybody that didn't already have access to your phone / computer?

That's worse than the crap Google does? Your bias is showing.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

Robert

Premium Member

How about the collection of data that iPhone apps do, the same ones that Apple lets into their App Store? Oh I get it, not Apple's fault? Please. Apple is just as bad as the next one. To them, privacy concerns are concerns of when they can't collect enough information about us.

Your fanboyism is showing.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
So far, I like Google maps, especially the turn by turn that I missed from my Thunderbolt

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I installed it...am I missing something? It isn't searching my contacts...shouldn't it? What am I doing wrong?
Curiosity
join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC

Curiosity to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

You can skip it
»www.restartyourcomputer.net/

That site does not respond. Down For Everyone Or Just Me agrees. It is definitely down.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I think it only searches your gmail contacts. I keep all my contacts in iCloud. I set up a carddav account on my iPhone, but none of the contacts synced to gmail (which currently doesn't have any contacts). How do I sync iCloud contacts with gmail.com contacts?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to SuperNet

to SuperNet
This app (or the backing data) is a piece of crap. The satellite photos are so out of date that they are just plain wrong. From my own community, the sat photos are a good six years old.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
This is one of the nicest looking apps i've ever seen. Maps now works better on iphone 5 than on android.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I used it this morning.
It is missing automatic day/night illumination setting
How do you turn the app off (without having to quit the app) no 'in app' off button

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Review of new Google Maps iOS app:
»apnews.myway.com//articl ··· NO2.html

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I bet Apple is shooting themselves in the leg over the new Google maps if they haven't already from when their maps were first released.

haroldo
USA

2 edits

haroldo

The new google maps is useless, IMHO since it can't search your contacts, like Waze. So if you want directions to a contact, you have to copy and paste address....or worse, search google (do you know how many bob smiths there are?) Also, much like the rest of googles stuff, it is not intuitive and difficult to use (a lot of mistaken clicks on tiny icons since youre not sure what to do), Waze has big buttons with words that explain what the buttons do (the first time I used it I knew what to,do), google, as always, assumes you already know how to use it.
Almost all driving apps have big buttons...except google maps
Google maps is to ready for prime time, yet
I'll stick with Waze