Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to SuperNet9

Re: Google Maps for iOS Now Live in App Store

So far, I like Google maps, especially the turn by turn that I missed from my Thunderbolt
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to SuperNet9

I installed it...am I missing something? It isn't searching my contacts...shouldn't it? What am I doing wrong?

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

You can skip it
»www.restartyourcomputer.net/

That site does not respond. Down For Everyone Or Just Me agrees. It is definitely down.

haroldo

united state
reply to haroldo

I think it only searches your gmail contacts. I keep all my contacts in iCloud. I set up a carddav account on my iPhone, but none of the contacts synced to gmail (which currently doesn't have any contacts). How do I sync iCloud contacts with gmail.com contacts?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to SuperNet9

This app (or the backing data) is a piece of crap. The satellite photos are so out of date that they are just plain wrong. From my own community, the sat photos are a good six years old.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to SuperNet9

This is one of the nicest looking apps i've ever seen. Maps now works better on iphone 5 than on android.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

haroldo

united state
reply to SuperNet9

I used it this morning.
It is missing automatic day/night illumination setting
How do you turn the app off (without having to quit the app) no 'in app' off button

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to SuperNet9

Review of new Google Maps iOS app:
»apnews.myway.com//article/201212···NO2.html

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to SuperNet9

I bet Apple is shooting themselves in the leg over the new Google maps if they haven't already from when their maps were first released.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

haroldo

united state

2 edits

The new google maps is useless, IMHO since it can't search your contacts, like Waze. So if you want directions to a contact, you have to copy and paste address....or worse, search google (do you know how many bob smiths there are?) Also, much like the rest of googles stuff, it is not intuitive and difficult to use (a lot of mistaken clicks on tiny icons since youre not sure what to do), Waze has big buttons with words that explain what the buttons do (the first time I used it I knew what to,do), google, as always, assumes you already know how to use it.
Almost all driving apps have big buttons...except google maps
Google maps is to ready for prime time, yet
I'll stick with Waze

interlync

join:2002-07-30
Chicago, IL
reply to SuperNet9

Google maps with its driving directions is pretty handy. I have noticed a few inconsistencies with routing directions and re-caclulating routes so be careful out there.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

1 recommendation

reply to SuperNet9

Just read a way to bypass Apple maps and use Google maps with Siri is to say "Via Transit" at the end of your sentence when asking for directions. It works.

»bgr.com/2012/12/17/google-maps-s···-255870/
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by skj:

Just read a way to bypass Apple maps and use Google maps with Siri is to say "Via Transit" at the end of your sentence when asking for directions. It works.

»bgr.com/2012/12/17/google-maps-s···-255870/

Yes. I saw that earlier today and tried it. It works.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Merry Christmas »goo.gl/Y2AEF

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC
reply to SuperNet9

I got the thing working, but the navigation in street view is harder. There is no little map insert that moves with you as you travel. The map you see when you pull the street view window down a bit does not show your movement. Also, the new Google maps does not link up with the contact list. You can always use copy and paste, but not so convenient. It does seem to be a bit more accurate at pinpointing addresses, though.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to SuperNet9

10 million downloads in 48 hours. Not bad.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

The new google maps is useless, IMHO since it can't search your contacts, like Waze. So if you want directions to a contact, you have to copy and paste address....or worse, search google (do you know how many bob smiths there are?) Also, much like the rest of googles stuff, it is not intuitive and difficult to use (a lot of mistaken clicks on tiny icons since youre not sure what to do), Waze has big buttons with words that explain what the buttons do (the first time I used it I knew what to,do), google, as always, assumes you already know how to use it.
Almost all driving apps have big buttons...except google maps
Google maps is to ready for prime time, yet
I'll stick with Waze

That's pretty much my take on Google Maps for now. To be honest I get around fairly well without a mapping service to begin with, and I live in a notoriously hard to navigate area (Seattle - Tacoma). From time to time when I do need to look something up, the built in Apple Maps has got me to where I need to be without fail.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to haroldo

Use voice in Nav - easy! Then any destination you think you might use again hit Fav - easy!

Anyway anyone when know when Google maps for iPad is due?
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.