how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Percival

join:2012-12-12
Nevada City, CA

[Newsgroups] Supernews phantom files

Supernews just recently started giving me 'file is no longer available' messages on random files, yet if I wait a few minutes and try to download again, the message is now available. Supernews support says that it's a dmca problem, but that makes no sense as files seem to be randomly available or not. Multiple files, such as RARs almost always get encoding errors and are worthless. This happens with both XNews and Forte Agent. Why would a file be unavailable one minute, then available a minute later? Seems to be random dropouts somewhere.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5

Is this for new posts? Are they unavailable again soon after?

Percival

Nevada City, CA

Yes, for any listed post. I don't know if they go back to unavailable again, once I successfully download one I haven't tried it again. It doesn't seem to happen with Newsnetserver. I have a test account with newsnetserver and would switch, but I'm not really liking it too well. Supernews has worked fine in the past, just recently started doing this.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to Percival

What are you trying to download?

If you feel more comfortable sending it over PM please do thanks.

Percival

Nevada City, CA

I've downloaded jpg files from a.b.automobile.pictures and also pdf files a.b.e-book.magazines. Also, RAR'ed movie files. All exhibit the same problems. Message won't be there one minute, will be the next. Multi file downloads almost never complete error free.

Percival

Nevada City, CA

This problem seems to be related to the number of connections to the server. I'm using Agent, the maximum allowed connections was set at 10, the connections reserved for body retrieval was set at 1. I raised that to 9 and the number of files missed went way down. I also have it set to automatically adjust for maximum connections. Can anyone assist me by explaining with how all this works? Could this be the source of my problem?