how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

amro4

join:2008-10-07
Colleyville, TX

[TIVO] Anyone regret getting TiVo?

I'm kind of sick of the FiOS DVRs and their slow evolution, and I'm looking at switching to TiVo. Oddly enough, I still have a TiVo Series 1 with a lifetime subscription ($249 back then) that still works. I haven't kept up much with the 4-tuner TiVo's, but I seem to remember reading that they were slow based on them using Java? Also, if I switch to TiVo I won't have to worry about that stupid FiOS router and trying to use my own wireless router while still trying to use Remote DVR and Scheduling.

Thoughts, especially those of you who switched. Thanks

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1

said by amro4:

I haven't kept up much with the 4-tuner TiVo's, but I seem to remember reading that they were slow based on them using Java?

None of that is true, although I'm sure some people think that. (I.e., they don't use Java; they're not slow; and Java isn't slow, either.) I do hear that the 4-tuner versions are slower than the 2-tuner Premieres, due to the increased load; and the new "HDUI" (high definition user interface) is indeed slower than the SDUI (due mainly to its network dependencies, I think -- not due to its being written in Flash), but you can always switch to the SDUI if that bothers you. The base performance of the Premiere is much faster than any previous model of TiVo.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

knarf829

join:2007-06-02

said by wmcbrine:

The base performance of the Premiere is much faster than any previous model of TiVo.

Concur. Switched from Series3 to XL4 and performance is just fine. Much faster in SD interface mode, about the same as Series3 in HD interface mode.

The slowness in HD mode is from downloading information from the internet to be displayed (You may like..., etc).

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to amro4

I've had TiVos since 2002. Starting with a single DirecTiVo (Series 2) which eventually lead to 5 DirecTiVos. Then 2 years ago I made the switch to 4 TiVo HDs. Last year I upgraded one TiVo HD to a TiVo Premier Elite (now called XL4).

The XL4 can be significantly slower than the TiVo HD due to the new HDUI (based on Flash, not Java) and just the hardware being a bit underpowered.

With the recent Fall update, the issue isn't so much the TiVo being slow, it's that the speed is inconsistent. 90% of the time, everything works great and I'm perfectly happy with the HDUI. The other 10% of the time, it gets bogged down and slightly frustrating, but never enough to regret getting the TiVo. Just don't plan on using YouTube (that app is a steaming pile of crap).

TiVo offers a money back guarantee - doesn't hurt to try it out and decide for yourself.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to amro4

I just replaced my FIOS 7216 with a 45 hour Tivo Premiere. I too have been a TIVO subscriber since 2003. They have a clearance sale going on until 12/14 where you can get a Premiere starting at $50 with free shipping.

»www3.tivo.com/promo/holiday2012/···e_banner
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

The XL4 can be significantly slower than the TiVo HD due to the new HDUI (based on Flash, not Java) and just the hardware being a bit underpowered.

I've read that it's currently only using one core of a dual core processor because they had reliability issues when activating the second core. Don't know if this is still the case or if it was resolved in a subsequent update. I've never seen a serious lag (but I also don't use the YouTube app).

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA
reply to dosdoxies

I have a TIVO XL4 and a FIOS 7232 sitting side by side and interchange between them. I would give a slight edge to TIVO only because I like their HD interface better.

If I had to give up one or the other, however, it would be the TIVO with VOD as the game changer.

In terms of basic functionality like recording, scheduling, playback, reliability, sound and picture quality, they are a wash. TIVO guide data is better, but FIOS has improved IMO.

People manage their DVR's differently. What I like you may not. What I dislike you may not. As previous posts indicate, you can make the change to TIVO rather inexpensively. Give it a try. It's not a lifetime commitment.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to knarf829

said by knarf829:

said by Thinkdiff:

I've read that it's currently only using one core of a dual core processor because they had reliability issues when activating the second core. Don't know if this is still the case or if it was resolved in a subsequent update. I've never seen a serious lag (but I also don't use the YouTube app).

They have been using both cores for a while now.

I'll take my TiVos over the FiOS DVRs just for the money I've saved. During the 64 months I've been with FiOS, I would have spent alot more money if I had been using FiOS DVRs during that time instead of using my TiVos.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
reply to knarf829

Both have been enabled for over a year now

amro4

Colleyville, TX
reply to amro4

Great, thanks for all the feedback. Very valuable. I've never once used the video on demand because I use AppleTV for that as well as Netflix. I have a Dune media server for all my Blu-Rays and my PS3 for Amazon Instand Video (which is a terrible interface).

What I do like is the remote DVR/TV Listings. I've used it quite a few times to schedule a recording right from my phone. And from what I've read, I can do that with TiVo. Also, I would be able to dump my FiOS router all together. The remote DVR is the only reason I have to use that crappy router.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

You will still need a router that supports both MoCA and Ethernet, since TiVo requires CoAX input for television and Ethernet for guide data and IP-based services. That's the primary purpose of the Verizon ActionTec router.

The Verizon router is not actually necessary for FiOS Remote DVR; it's just the easiest to use because configuration is automatic.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

The router does not need to support MOCA if the user has a TiVo. The TiVo would get the guide info via cat5 and picture/audio via coax, neither of which require MOCA.

If TiVo required a MOCA connection then it would pretty much not work on any cable system.

amro4

Colleyville, TX
reply to UnnDunn

I don't think this is right. The cable is just for video, and Ethernet for guide info and remote dvr. Right?

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to kes601

You're right, but I was under the impression Verizon only enables either Coax or Ethernet at the ONT, never both, and as such a MoCA device would be required to feed the TiVo with both Coax and Ethernet.

amro4

Colleyville, TX

said by UnnDunn:

You're right, but I was under the impression Verizon only enables either Coax or Ethernet at the ONT, never both, and as such a MoCA device would be required to feed the TiVo with both Coax and Ethernet.

Ah, I understand. My FiOS router has both COAX and Ethernet which means, theoretically, that I can get rid of the FiOS router, hook my Netgear wireless router via the WAN port to the ONT and leave the COAX for the video.

Now, on to searching for a good sale...

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to amro4

I really like my TiVO

amro4

Colleyville, TX
reply to amro4

The other thing is that we are so close to CES, I'm wondering if TiVo will have new hardware.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to amro4

By far the best feature of the TiVo for me is pytivo. It's a third-party server package that you can run on Windows, Linux, etc. You point it to your media folder and then it does two things:

1. You can go to a webpage on your computer/phone that lists all your media. You can pick a video, pick the TiVo you want to send it to and hit send. Within 2-3 minutes, it starts transferring to your TiVo. If the source material is MPEG2, MPEG4 (x264), or WMV VC-1, it doesn't even transcode it. I watch x264 720p and 1080p videos on my TiVo all the time. If something does need to be converted, it does it on the fly.

2. It also adds a Server icon in your "My Shows" list on the TiVo. You can initiate an instant transfer from the TiVo itself, but all video will be converted to MPEG2.

This feature alone will keep me from ever using a FiOS or cable company DVR.

And BTW, the TiVo iOS app kicks the pants off everything else. Remote scheduling works great. Their Android app recently caught up with similar features, too.
--

Electro960

Doylestown, PA
reply to amro4

I switched from FIOS DVR to TiVo Premiere series 4 about a year ago and don't regret making the move. Their mobile app allows you to view listings and schedule recordings remotely but if you want to watch your recorded content on an iPhone or iPad then you will need to purchase an additional accessory called the TiVo stream. It only allows you to stream your programs within your home network but works great. I'm looking into upgrading to a 4 tuner model with greater capacity but holding off because I'm hearing rumors of a 6 tuner model release with built in streaming capabilities and faster processing speed but who knows if or when that'll come out.
Their newer models have Ethernet and MoCa options so if you don't have a hard wired cat 5 ran to the location you can use coax to connect to their servers but will need to retain the Verizon actiontec router (or a MoCa adapter).

Expand your moderator at work

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to amro4

Re: [TIVO] Anyone regret getting TiVo?

said by amro4:

The other thing is that we are so close to CES, I'm wondering if TiVo will have new hardware.

TiVo generally doesn't announce anything at CES. They will usually be on site, but they don't really show anything off new.

amro4

Colleyville, TX
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

By far the best feature of the TiVo for me is pytivo. It's a third-party server package that you can run on Windows, Linux, etc. You point it to your media folder and then it does two things:

1. You can go to a webpage on your computer/phone that lists all your media. You can pick a video, pick the TiVo you want to send it to and hit send. Within 2-3 minutes, it starts transferring to your TiVo. If the source material is MPEG2, MPEG4 (x264), or WMV VC-1, it doesn't even transcode it. I watch x264 720p and 1080p videos on my TiVo all the time. If something does need to be converted, it does it on the fly.

2. It also adds a Server icon in your "My Shows" list on the TiVo. You can initiate an instant transfer from the TiVo itself, but all video will be converted to MPEG2.

This feature alone will keep me from ever using a FiOS or cable company DVR.

And BTW, the TiVo iOS app kicks the pants off everything else. Remote scheduling works great. Their Android app recently caught up with similar features, too.

Awesome info! Thanks.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Going on vacation next week, but when I come back, I'll make the switch.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 edit
reply to amro4

I don't regret getting a TiVo, about 4 years back I had gotten a TiVo HD with lifetime subscription. However, it's the first and only TiVo I've gotten since and I honestly don't see myself buying another one for an additional TV.

My only problem with TiVo is cost. It's not cheap for every TV when adding up the price of the equipment combined with the cost of the subscription. Obviously the lifetime subscription is the way to go in the long run but for every TV it just doesn't appear to be as economical as a competitor. In the long run if you're not going to be swapping TV providers between FiOS and cable every 2 years for the best deal (ex. free/cheap equipment deals for new customers plus promo service pricing) then TiVo will eventually save you money and give you a fairly constant UI.

I've decided to go the Media Center route though. One central WMC PC or media server housing a total of 7 tuners with extenders at each of the 5 TVs around the house. No expensive TiVo lifetime service costs for every extender just the cost of the equipment - extenders and tuners, dedicated PC is optional but will give best results or if you don't already have one powerful enough for the load. When space is low no additional PC/server is needed to transfer recordings to like with TiVo. And because all the recordings are stored locally in the WMC PC and adding additional drives or using NAS for storage is easy enough.

I chose to go this route because of the flexibility of having a centralized system that all pulls from the same guide with all the series recordings set up makes it very easy to manage instead of individually at each DVR. The amount of tuners used to also be a valid point back when DVRs had a max of 2 but with 4 tuner DVRs that is helping that issue. I also found that my ROI and saving $$$ would occur sooner because the overall price was cheaper than standalone DVRs and subscription costs for each TV.

I've had nothing but a positive experience from my TiVo HD though. I still consider it to be the second best solution to WMC today and if I hadn't decided on going with WMC I would have gone the TiVo route.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

The TiVo Mini (IP-STB) will supposedly be out early 2013. It acts as an extender for the TiVo Premier XL4/Elite (and eventually regular Premier). I'm looking forward to that as a way to replace my 3 TiVo HDs with a single XL4 + 2 Minis, as long as the price is right .
--

shortkud

join:2005-02-05
Irving, TX
reply to amro4

I've had a Tivo HD with FIOS for 4 years and I love it. I tried to use the FiOS DVR in another room and had to give it back. As soon as I can afford it I'll be getting TiVos for my other room.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to Zero

said by Zero:

*Snipped*

I've decided to go the Media Center route though. One central WMC PC or media server housing a total of 7 tuners with extenders at each of the 5 TVs around the house. No expensive TiVo lifetime service costs for every extender just the cost of the equipment - extenders and tuners, dedicated PC is optional but will give best results or if you don't already have one powerful enough for the load. When space is low no additional PC/server is needed to transfer recordings to like with TiVo. And because all the recordings are stored locally in the WMC PC and adding additional drives or using NAS for storage is easy enough.

I've thought about doing a WMC setup for the reasons you mention using Win8/WMC. What are your thoughts on it's TV interface though? I've seen some youtube videos and I don't come away with an impressed feeling. I feel that I'd want at TIVO or Stock FIOS STB interface over WMC.

Anything you can do to help persuade me

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA
reply to amro4

said by amro4:

TIVO generally is not an active participant at CES so the likelihood a new product at that time is slight.

You may see the MINI in the first quarter and a six tuner at some point.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

We recently went the other way. We had cable and a Tivo Premiere. We switched over to the 7232 and the HD only box. After a year we might go back to the Tivo.

The Tivo has a nicer UI but is laggy at times. Most of the extra stuff like Youtube sucked compared to other options we have.

The Multiroom viewing is really nice and makes up for much of the boxes short coming.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

I've thought about doing a WMC setup for the reasons you mention using Win8/WMC. What are your thoughts on it's TV interface though? I've seen some youtube videos and I don't come away with an impressed feeling. I feel that I'd want at TIVO or Stock FIOS STB interface over WMC.

Anything you can do to help persuade me

Engadget has a pretty decent review of WMC back when Windows 7 was launched:
»www.engadget.com/2009/07/27/wind···-review/

WMC in Windows 8 doesn't change any of this functionality either so what you'll see in that review will be the same. The pictures and video from Engadget's review should give you a good impression of the interface. Engadget's review is based a lot on what's new compared to Vista Media Center so while it doesn't show every feature it still gives a good overview.

Each DVR's UI each have their own pros and cons but after using a FiOS DVR and a TiVo HD, I prefer WMC's UI for TV duties. It took a bit to find all the hidden little shortcuts and features but I find them to be worthwhile and both effective and efficient in DVR controls as well as recorded TV management and navigation. You can give the general WMC UI a test drive with a copy of Win7 or Win8 with WMC, except some of the TV specific UI's like guide won't be available without a TV tuner installed. Some DVR UI's are not going to be for everyone but WMC works best for me. After all some really love the 90's UI on their Comcast DVR!

Ncc1701

join:2004-03-09
New Hyde Park, NY
reply to amro4

I Cant begin to tell you what a fantastic convenience it is to be able to download shows onto my iphone using the Tivo Stream and then watch them on my commute to and from work. And downloading kid's shows onto my iphone keeps my kid occupied at restaurants and long car trips without having to use my 4G data allowance. Yes my XL4 is slower than the 7232 but not by much. These advantages and the fact that I will break even and start saving money after 3 years makes my Tivo investment a good one