uniqs
share rss forum feed

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to amro4

Re: [TIVO] Anyone regret getting TiVo?

said by amro4:

The other thing is that we are so close to CES, I'm wondering if TiVo will have new hardware.

TiVo generally doesn't announce anything at CES. They will usually be on site, but they don't really show anything off new.

amro4

join:2008-10-07
Colleyville, TX
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

By far the best feature of the TiVo for me is pytivo. It's a third-party server package that you can run on Windows, Linux, etc. You point it to your media folder and then it does two things:

1. You can go to a webpage on your computer/phone that lists all your media. You can pick a video, pick the TiVo you want to send it to and hit send. Within 2-3 minutes, it starts transferring to your TiVo. If the source material is MPEG2, MPEG4 (x264), or WMV VC-1, it doesn't even transcode it. I watch x264 720p and 1080p videos on my TiVo all the time. If something does need to be converted, it does it on the fly.

2. It also adds a Server icon in your "My Shows" list on the TiVo. You can initiate an instant transfer from the TiVo itself, but all video will be converted to MPEG2.

This feature alone will keep me from ever using a FiOS or cable company DVR.

And BTW, the TiVo iOS app kicks the pants off everything else. Remote scheduling works great. Their Android app recently caught up with similar features, too.

Awesome info! Thanks.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Going on vacation next week, but when I come back, I'll make the switch.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 edit
reply to amro4

I don't regret getting a TiVo, about 4 years back I had gotten a TiVo HD with lifetime subscription. However, it's the first and only TiVo I've gotten since and I honestly don't see myself buying another one for an additional TV.

My only problem with TiVo is cost. It's not cheap for every TV when adding up the price of the equipment combined with the cost of the subscription. Obviously the lifetime subscription is the way to go in the long run but for every TV it just doesn't appear to be as economical as a competitor. In the long run if you're not going to be swapping TV providers between FiOS and cable every 2 years for the best deal (ex. free/cheap equipment deals for new customers plus promo service pricing) then TiVo will eventually save you money and give you a fairly constant UI.

I've decided to go the Media Center route though. One central WMC PC or media server housing a total of 7 tuners with extenders at each of the 5 TVs around the house. No expensive TiVo lifetime service costs for every extender just the cost of the equipment - extenders and tuners, dedicated PC is optional but will give best results or if you don't already have one powerful enough for the load. When space is low no additional PC/server is needed to transfer recordings to like with TiVo. And because all the recordings are stored locally in the WMC PC and adding additional drives or using NAS for storage is easy enough.

I chose to go this route because of the flexibility of having a centralized system that all pulls from the same guide with all the series recordings set up makes it very easy to manage instead of individually at each DVR. The amount of tuners used to also be a valid point back when DVRs had a max of 2 but with 4 tuner DVRs that is helping that issue. I also found that my ROI and saving $$$ would occur sooner because the overall price was cheaper than standalone DVRs and subscription costs for each TV.

I've had nothing but a positive experience from my TiVo HD though. I still consider it to be the second best solution to WMC today and if I hadn't decided on going with WMC I would have gone the TiVo route.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

The TiVo Mini (IP-STB) will supposedly be out early 2013. It acts as an extender for the TiVo Premier XL4/Elite (and eventually regular Premier). I'm looking forward to that as a way to replace my 3 TiVo HDs with a single XL4 + 2 Minis, as long as the price is right .
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

shortkud

join:2005-02-05
Irving, TX
reply to amro4

I've had a Tivo HD with FIOS for 4 years and I love it. I tried to use the FiOS DVR in another room and had to give it back. As soon as I can afford it I'll be getting TiVos for my other room.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to Zero

said by Zero:

*Snipped*

I've decided to go the Media Center route though. One central WMC PC or media server housing a total of 7 tuners with extenders at each of the 5 TVs around the house. No expensive TiVo lifetime service costs for every extender just the cost of the equipment - extenders and tuners, dedicated PC is optional but will give best results or if you don't already have one powerful enough for the load. When space is low no additional PC/server is needed to transfer recordings to like with TiVo. And because all the recordings are stored locally in the WMC PC and adding additional drives or using NAS for storage is easy enough.

I've thought about doing a WMC setup for the reasons you mention using Win8/WMC. What are your thoughts on it's TV interface though? I've seen some youtube videos and I don't come away with an impressed feeling. I feel that I'd want at TIVO or Stock FIOS STB interface over WMC.

Anything you can do to help persuade me

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA
reply to amro4

said by amro4:

The other thing is that we are so close to CES, I'm wondering if TiVo will have new hardware.

TIVO generally is not an active participant at CES so the likelihood a new product at that time is slight.

You may see the MINI in the first quarter and a six tuner at some point.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

We recently went the other way. We had cable and a Tivo Premiere. We switched over to the 7232 and the HD only box. After a year we might go back to the Tivo.

The Tivo has a nicer UI but is laggy at times. Most of the extra stuff like Youtube sucked compared to other options we have.

The Multiroom viewing is really nice and makes up for much of the boxes short coming.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

I've thought about doing a WMC setup for the reasons you mention using Win8/WMC. What are your thoughts on it's TV interface though? I've seen some youtube videos and I don't come away with an impressed feeling. I feel that I'd want at TIVO or Stock FIOS STB interface over WMC.

Anything you can do to help persuade me

Engadget has a pretty decent review of WMC back when Windows 7 was launched:
»www.engadget.com/2009/07/27/wind···-review/

WMC in Windows 8 doesn't change any of this functionality either so what you'll see in that review will be the same. The pictures and video from Engadget's review should give you a good impression of the interface. Engadget's review is based a lot on what's new compared to Vista Media Center so while it doesn't show every feature it still gives a good overview.

Each DVR's UI each have their own pros and cons but after using a FiOS DVR and a TiVo HD, I prefer WMC's UI for TV duties. It took a bit to find all the hidden little shortcuts and features but I find them to be worthwhile and both effective and efficient in DVR controls as well as recorded TV management and navigation. You can give the general WMC UI a test drive with a copy of Win7 or Win8 with WMC, except some of the TV specific UI's like guide won't be available without a TV tuner installed. Some DVR UI's are not going to be for everyone but WMC works best for me. After all some really love the 90's UI on their Comcast DVR!

Ncc1701

join:2004-03-09
New Hyde Park, NY
reply to amro4

I Cant begin to tell you what a fantastic convenience it is to be able to download shows onto my iphone using the Tivo Stream and then watch them on my commute to and from work. And downloading kid's shows onto my iphone keeps my kid occupied at restaurants and long car trips without having to use my 4G data allowance. Yes my XL4 is slower than the 7232 but not by much. These advantages and the fact that I will break even and start saving money after 3 years makes my Tivo investment a good one

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX

What is the experience like with services such as Amazon Instant Video.

Is the app fast, is the video quality high def?

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to amro4

Amazon VOD works fine for me on my TiVoHD.

Ncc1701

join:2004-03-09
New Hyde Park, NY

Important to note amazon prime video is not available on TiVo. I connect my ps 3 to th Ethernet port on the xl4 and it works great

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Good clarification. PRIME VOD is not available. I was referencing traditional VOD. I let my Prime membership lapse due to sales tax with Amazon now and the fact that I just really didn't use it much.