uniqs
share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

So....it has been a year. What's new?

It's been about a year since the whole Attawapiskat story from last year. I thought I would look to see what is going on, since it is cold out again. Looks like not much has changed.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/s···ike.html

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Another interesting thing is the comments section at the bottom of the story. There are a TON of comments (that are top rated) that have been deleted by the moderator. I find that unusual. Or maybe not, considering my experience with posting comments on their site.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Not much has changed? The government sent in modular housing, tried to fix the management issues that caused the community to get themselves into such a bad spot in the first place, and all the while Attawapiskat and other similar communities are fighting against the help the government is trying to give. Complaining that their rights are being infringed, but then demanding that the government pay for their lifestyle. They mismanaged their community so badly to get themselves into this mess, but when the government tries to fix the mismanagement, they're infringing on their rights. Sigh.

Now we hear that the chief is on a hunger strike on parliament hill until the prime minister meets with her. In the mean time, the Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development says she hasn't even MADE a request to meet with them.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

that is kind of what i meant...i am sure there are still plenty of people up there living in squalor conditions...it would be interesting to know what Spence has done in the last year to improve things...that's great she is going on a hunger strike for her people, but like everything else i have seen going on up there, she's probably doing that for herself too...if she really cared about her people, the money that was given to them for housing would have been spent on housing, not a stupid hockey arena and zamboni...she should tell the people to sleep in the arena, since that is what they spent their housing money on.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to dirtyjeffer

Expecting new results when using the same formula is folly.