spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gsm
join:2009-03-10
144-0052

gsm

comcast and vpns

Can I host my own private sstp server on comcast using port 443? I am not sure if its against the tos to have a certificate server on comcast. It would be for private use and I would be the only one using it when I am in china for netflix and hulu I was told private vpns are the way to go

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by gsm:

Can I host my own private sstp server on comcast using port 443? I am not sure if its against the tos to have a certificate server on comcast. It would be for private use and I would be the only one using it when I am in china for netflix and hulu I was told private vpns are the way to go

If you're on a residential account, servers are a violation of the ToS. If this is a business class account, servers are fine and I don't think there would be any issues doing what you'd want to do.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to gsm

Premium Member

to gsm
Even more important is that using a VPN to circumvent China's ToS MIGHT put you in a really bad position with the Chinese govt.
Not super likely, but as a guest you may need to forgo things to avoid local conflict.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by tshirt:

Even more important is that using a VPN to circumvent China's ToS MIGHT put you in a really bad position with the Chinese govt.
Not super likely, but as a guest you may need to forgo things to avoid local conflict.

Good point

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
servers are not supported. They are not forbidden.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ArrayList:

servers are not supported. They are not forbidden.

Since when? Last I heard, servers were not permitted on a residential account.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

if servers where 100% banned we couldn't host games that are P2P or Host client served.... lots of people host their own games when they are playing others...

I think the rule was more like you can't host a public use server like a website or a public email server... but private use for yourself was different

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Well, a hosted internet game is quite different from a VPN, IMHO.

The chances the OP would "get away" with it are high, but I think it is still technically in violation of the ToS/AUP.
pflog

pflog to neufuse

MVM

to neufuse
From Comcast's AUP here:

»www.comcast.com/Corporat ··· AUP.html

use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the Premises that provide network
content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network (“Premises
LAN”), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited
equipment and servers include, but are not limited to, email, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy
services and servers;

A VPN constitutes a server and in the case of the OP is being used as a proxy. So I'd say, yes, it's technically in violation of AUP.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I'd love to see comcast prove that it violates anything.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan

Anon

Well come on, how else are they going to charge you more for the EXACT SAME BANDWIDTH...

I really wish providers would get crap together. If you are going to impose CAPS (Which Comcast does, just not enforced right now as they are changing it to make more money for overages) you should NOT restrict how it is used. That is the point of the CAP to avoid abuse. If I need to go over that obviously I need a business account, but beyond that I use the service how I want.

They can't prove a darn thing.

" that provide network
content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network" Hey, the box I have is access by me with my cellphone on my own premises... Too bad it is another public address :P

They could never really prove anything, it's a grey area. Basically they don't want you doing web hosting or file sharing with others but if pure PERSONAL use it's okay and they will never bug you.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

However ComCast don't have to prove anything to withdraw service.
Enforcement of the ToS, and continuing to provide access via their private network is based on "in their sole opinion, your activities violate the ToS, or any activity which MAY endanger or prevent controlled operation of their network"
It's not what you want to believe, it's what they do believe.
thataboi
join:2004-03-09
Springfield, OR

thataboi to gsm

to gsm
The keyword is PROFIT. Having a server isn't against TOS that's a myth. On residential service it has to be for ''private use only''. Not for public use and not used to profit from. The business class is basically the license to do that and run a public service.

Having a vpn server is against tos? I can argue that all day long. Saying I can't connect securely to my network remotely from a coffee shop that isn't secured is ludicrous. Remote services have been around a long long time. That's like saying I am breaking TOS calling on a land line to my home from a payphone.

Most home servers is nothing but remote vpn server types anyways. Who hosts their own websites? You can get web hosting and other services dirt cheap. I can think of 100 reasons not to host your own services lol.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to gsm

Premium Member

to gsm
Its netflix and hula. Why the hell would you need a VPN for that? They both stream from there websites.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

1 recommendation

THZNDUP

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

Its netflix and hula. Why the hell would you need a VPN for that? They both stream from there websites.

Direct stream probably doesn't work. They are either blocked by China's Great Firewall or by IP due to licensing requirements. Just like BBC content is blocked outside the UK.