uniqs

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to amro4

to amro4

Re: [TIVO] Anyone regret getting TiVo?

said by amro4:

I haven't kept up much with the 4-tuner TiVo's, but I seem to remember reading that they were slow based on them using Java?

None of that is true, although I'm sure some people think that. (I.e., they don't use Java; they're not slow; and Java isn't slow, either.) I do hear that the 4-tuner versions are slower than the 2-tuner Premieres, due to the increased load; and the new "HDUI" (high definition user interface) is indeed slower than the SDUI (due mainly to its network dependencies, I think -- not due to its being written in Flash), but you can always switch to the SDUI if that bothers you. The base performance of the Premiere is much faster than any previous model of TiVo.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by wmcbrine:

The base performance of the Premiere is much faster than any previous model of TiVo.

Concur. Switched from Series3 to XL4 and performance is just fine. Much faster in SD interface mode, about the same as Series3 in HD interface mode.

The slowness in HD mode is from downloading information from the internet to be displayed (You may like..., etc).