uniqs
share rss forum feed

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ
kudos:1

USB ports and adapters visual reference?

Guys, I understand the different types of mini USB adapters, however, I have always been thrown by their "official names". I have looked all over google and wiki for a quick and easy visual reference but have not been able to find one that is just that, a simple visual reference that shows the mini USB adapter, and maps it to its "official" name such as USB Micro (a/b), ect. I know this is a silly request, but I was hoping someone can help me find what I am looking for.

The reason is that I have to order a bunch of replacement cables but the pictures don't always match with the product, so I need to order by name, but I am not sure what the actual names for them are and I don't want to order the wrong ones. If some one can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
--
Life is a giant fish bowl... There is no way out but up..

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

1 recommendation

This may be as good as you are going to find for what I think you are looking for
»www.l-com.com/content/ConnectorC···html#usb

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

said by MrFixit1:

This may be as good as you are going to find for what I think you are looking for
»www.l-com.com/content/ConnectorC···html#usb

Perfect! Excellent, thanks MrFixit1! That's what I was looking for and then some.

Thanks for the help.
--

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

If you need it mobile, there is an Android app called "Pin Out" that has both the reference images and the wire maps. I would imagine there is something similar for Apple.

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ

Even better! Just to avoid confusion for anyone else reading this, it's actually called "pinout", no space. There is also one that one ups it called "Ultimate Pinout".

Most excellent addition Camelot One! Thanks! I'm likin' it!
--

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to rescue85

Why not get it straight from the horse's mouth?

USB Implementers Forum documents

All the technical details about USB, and then some.

It's only after going through the official docs that I realized so many supposedly USB-compliant products are really out of spec.

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to rescue85

After looking at Pinouts, I found a great electronics reference, complete with Pinouts that work perfectly for what I was looking for and then I can also dive into some electronics projects. The Droid app is called "ElectroDroid". Awesome app for that inner geek in all of us!
--

rescue85
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to broccoli

said by broccoli:

Why not get it straight from the horse's mouth?

USB Implementers Forum documents

All the technical details about USB, and then some.

It's only after going through the official docs that I realized so many supposedly USB-compliant products are really out of spec.

While this is great for a very indepth understanding, it's far too in depth for what I am looking for which was just a simple Visual Reference key. It certainly should not be overlooked for someone looking to insure that they are spec compliant, however, that is way out side of what I needed for my purposes.
--