how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

td854

join:2011-07-06
Lewis Center, OH
reply to td854

Re: Intermittent disconnects (Central Ohio)

I sent an e-mail to technical support, a very long and technical e-mail describing each step and process I took to root out any problems that could be on my end. What did I receive? A response almost 4 days later that tells me to delete my temporary internet files and restart my PC. Really guys? Really?

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:33

My next suggested step would be to replace the modem. You can either have a technician come out and replace it, or just swap it out yourself at a local office if that's more convenient.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

I understand you're trying to help, but from a technical standpoint how would an issue with the modem hardware produce the phenomenon associated with my previous statement; summarized: connections to objects in my state (Ohio) stay connected when all other connections out of state disconnect. Not to mention the modem is less than a year old, I am the first user of it, and I keep it well ventilated. While I realize even if it were in the realm of possibility in my mind that faulty modem hardware could cause this issue, it is extremely unlikely that this modem would be defective in the first place.

I apologize if I'm coming off as arrogant but I've been down a similar road before with Insight Communications and it just ended in a years worth of modem swaps, wasted time and money on my part and Insight's part and it ended up being a problem with a junction somewhere in the southern United States associated with the company that provides Insight with service. Since the problem is completely oblivious to the average internet user it is more likely than not that it wouldn't be reported. Heck, I haven't even called to report a problem because talking to the WOW people on the phone is difficult as I end up having to educate them. Same with the techs, when I got this Arris modem/router installed I had to show him how to make it pass-through because he didn't know how, and I had never even used that particular brand of modem or interface.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

I have seen modems cause issues I could never explain if I tried. That was merely why I suggested it. My next step would then be to provide traceroutes to the internet that might show where the issue might be occurring. If we could narrow it down to a hop, maybe we could try and get a hold of that circuit provider and see if they can check that circuit for issues. If it's not a circuit directly connecting to us though, it might be difficult to get them to test it. If you could send me your phone number, account number, and full name on the account, I might have one other idea I can try as well.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

td854

Lewis Center, OH

1 edit
reply to td854

Not sure what WOW did but the problem seems to be solved, I haven't disconnected in 2 days so I'm going to go ahead and assume they fixed it. I literally did nothing. No calls, same modem, same router, no reset config, nothing. If I run into any other problems I'll contact you Dan.

Just to add one other thing, when I was having the connection issues I was going to run a trace route but didn't really think about it. I ran a few yesterday though and noticed that the in and out of state connections are routing through the same device on WOW's network (10.35.11.29) so either the route changed (assumption) or that device was having issues and was replaced (assumption.) All hops after that device are different for the three primary things I am connected to/from.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

Click for full size
Ok well after 2 days of no disconnects it's back again, many times today.

The first hop (aside from router and/or modem) I go through is 10.35.25.50
The second hop is 10.35.11.29

After these two, it peers to a different network for each one of my connections, so it either is indeed my modem somehow or it's one of these two hops. The two people that connect to me go through the same four hops after those two, however one user does not disconnect when everything else does. The third connection that I connect to goes through a completely different route after those two.

First, second, and last hops are not shown deliberately.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

oh, man, this brings back memories of a similar problem I had 15 years ago with TW.

Only it wasn't with TW. It was with AT&T. A router of theirs in Chicago was broken.

Try explaining *that* to anyone in the food chain 15 years ago. Took me two weeks to cajole people throughout the chain to help out.

Then the same thing happened after I switched to WOW, and I had to reinvent the wheel there. Took awhile.

Good luck.

I can say, you'll get *much* more cooperation if you go and get a WOW modem for the duration while they help fix this. It's not a willingness issue, it's a tools issue.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

said by adam1991 :
I can say, you'll get *much* more cooperation if you go and get a WOW modem for the duration while they help fix this. It's not a willingness issue, it's a tools issue.
Honestly the only thing stopping me from getting another WOW modem (already using one of theirs) is that I'm the first user of my current one. As an example; I don't know what they do with their shoddy DVR boxes but we went through 4 or 5 of them before we got one that didn't corrupt half the stuff we recorded, we've been told they're "refurbished" but it feels like they just receive them, plug them in and if they turn on they put them back out. I had this exact same thing happen with modems prior to the 30 and 50 plans being released, I started with an "advanced" modem which reset all the time, they brought me down to a basic modem that reset all the time, they replaced it AGAIN and it reset all the time then they finally replaced it yet another time and I finally got one that wasn't junk. This all happened in the span of a month, I really don't wanna do that again... but if they can't find any problems then I'll have to take the risk I guess.

BTW our DVR box still sucks but we gave up after replacement #3 or 4, we get pixelation and/or corruption all the damn time and our signals are fine (been checked by a tech repeatedly.) We would just go to Ultra TV to solve the problem but we don't need another bill hike just to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH

If I recall doing the math, anyone who has two cable boxes (maybe DVRs) saves money by going with Ultra.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

Can you release and renew your public IP address? You should get a different one. See if that makes any difference.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

IP and default gateway changed. I'll see what happens over the next few days.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

Already lost connection, 4:48 am for roughly 45 seconds.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to td854

I did a test of 1000 pings to your modem, and your neighbor's modem at 5977 on your street. The results seem to point to a problem in your home causing issues, and I would think much larger issues than what you're actually experiencing. Pinging your modem (on its private IP address) I get about 8% packet loss. When I ping said neighbor with 1000 pings on their modem, I get 0% packet loss. I will post the results below. This data points to the RF/coax portion of your home wiring being the cause of the problem. I won't be able to tell you much more than that from here. I would suggest scheduling a technician to come out again and look through and replace as much as possible to see if they can figure out what's causing this.

said by Your Modem :

col15-cmts1# ping 10.210.xxx.xxx repeat-count 1000
Sending IP ping to: 10.210.xxx.xxx
ping (10.210.xxx.xxx): 100 data bytes
!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!
1000 packets transmitted, 923 packets received

said by Neighbor's Modem :

col15-cmts1# ping 10.210.xxx.xxx repeat-count 1000
Sending IP ping to: 10.210.xxx.xxx
ping (10.210.xxx.xxx): 100 data bytes
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received

--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

td854

Lewis Center, OH

Yeah we have a really long coax cable that has to go around the entire house which has been replaced once by you guys, and like 3 times when we had insight. At one point the cable was apparently crimped at almost a 90 degree angle at the box, guy said he fixed that. Last time he was here he replaced all the basement wiring because the original wiring was stapled to the beams. I think the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the actual in-wall wiring which we were told you guys would replace if we had whatever the service is that we're paying an extra amount per-month for. We have a lot of pixelation on certain ranges of channels but throughout all these changes, that never got fixed. I'll call them out and see what they'll do. Maybe a splitter went bad or something happened with the outdoor cable in the last 2 months.

Thanks Dan for checking that out on your end, I really appreciate what you've done so far. The smoke ping I did a while ago in this thread also pointed out pretty much the same results that you're showing, now it's time to get it fixed.