dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
7
share rss forum feed


Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to amro4

Re: [TIVO] Anyone regret getting TiVo?

I've had TiVos since 2002. Starting with a single DirecTiVo (Series 2) which eventually lead to 5 DirecTiVos. Then 2 years ago I made the switch to 4 TiVo HDs. Last year I upgraded one TiVo HD to a TiVo Premier Elite (now called XL4).

The XL4 can be significantly slower than the TiVo HD due to the new HDUI (based on Flash, not Java) and just the hardware being a bit underpowered.

With the recent Fall update, the issue isn't so much the TiVo being slow, it's that the speed is inconsistent. 90% of the time, everything works great and I'm perfectly happy with the HDUI. The other 10% of the time, it gets bogged down and slightly frustrating, but never enough to regret getting the TiVo. Just don't plan on using YouTube (that app is a steaming pile of crap).

TiVo offers a money back guarantee - doesn't hurt to try it out and decide for yourself.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
said by Thinkdiff:

The XL4 can be significantly slower than the TiVo HD due to the new HDUI (based on Flash, not Java) and just the hardware being a bit underpowered.

I've read that it's currently only using one core of a dual core processor because they had reliability issues when activating the second core. Don't know if this is still the case or if it was resolved in a subsequent update. I've never seen a serious lag (but I also don't use the YouTube app).


aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by knarf829:

said by Thinkdiff:

The XL4 can be significantly slower than the TiVo HD due to the new HDUI (based on Flash, not Java) and just the hardware being a bit underpowered.

I've read that it's currently only using one core of a dual core processor because they had reliability issues when activating the second core. Don't know if this is still the case or if it was resolved in a subsequent update. I've never seen a serious lag (but I also don't use the YouTube app).

They have been using both cores for a while now.

I'll take my TiVos over the FiOS DVRs just for the money I've saved. During the 64 months I've been with FiOS, I would have spent alot more money if I had been using FiOS DVRs during that time instead of using my TiVos.

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
reply to knarf829
Both have been enabled for over a year now