spc
uniqs

MmOgAmEr
@direcway.com

MmOgAmEr to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Reading the people saying that certain MMOs work just fine... that is complete BS. The best you can hope to do is log in a game and stand around and talk. Many times that doesn't even work. Maybe HughesNet can be somewhat effective with just social MMOs or something. But even then, games like Second Life are continually streaming something and it just eats up your allowance.

Trying to play an MMORPG like Perfect World (which is an older and less demanding game), I got totally destroyed in anything I tried to do. Timing is just so terribly impossible with the latency that you can not react to anything fast enough to make your gaming enjoyable. I actually gave up trying the satellite and used dial up with Perfect World and it was far more playable than with HughesNet.

To top it off, lately HughesNet is just constantly losing signal or something. Half the times I click on a link it just takes me to a broken page. So it isn't even effective for browsing the internet these days much less playing any games.
Finn532
join:2012-07-03

Finn532

Then play an MMO that can actually be enjoyable on Hughesnet. Runes of Magic, Runescape, and Flyff all work decent enough. There is input lag, but it's not a major issue if you're used to playing on Dialup.

Doc Lithius
join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius to MmOgAmEr

to MmOgAmEr
Friend, I have personally confirmed the following MMOs work just fine under HughesNet:
- Rusty Hearts
- World of Warcraft
- MapleStory
- GrandChase
- Ragnarok Online
- City of Heroes
(this one's kind of dead now, though)
- Champions Online
- Guild Wars
- Phantasy Star Online
(emulated server only)
- Vindictus (solo play and towns only)
- Mabinogi
- Cartoon Network FusionFall
(uses a load of bandwidth, though)
- PlanetSide (yes, I'm serious)
Others have confirmed even more.

But just like with any kind of online game, some work under HughesNet and some don't. I'm not arguing that Perfect World Online doesn't work. I can't confirm or deny that because I've never tried. But I do know that most every other MMO out there seems to work just fine. Yes, there's input lag. But for the most part, it's manageable.

So, yeah.