Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to spc111

Re: Sandy Relief Concert & HD quality

The picture quality last night was horrendous. Hopefully this is a wake up call that they need to fix it.

They need to get rid of all the SD channels that are carried in HD. Everything will be letter boxed on non HDTV's but a lot of channels are already doing that... there's really no point in having both channels anymore.

It would free up huge amounts of bandwidth to eliminate all the duplicates. Hopefully they get around to that and at the same time reorganize their channel lineups... have a traffic station in the middle of all the sports channels and a sports channel in the middle of the movie channels is kinda ... werid!

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
said by Jmartz:

The picture quality last night was horrendous. Hopefully this is a wake up call that they need to fix it.

They need to get rid of all the SD channels that are carried in HD. Everything will be letter boxed on non HDTV's but a lot of channels are already doing that... there's really no point in having both channels anymore.

It would free up huge amounts of bandwidth to eliminate all the duplicates. Hopefully they get around to that and at the same time reorganize their channel lineups... have a traffic station in the middle of all the sports channels and a sports channel in the middle of the movie channels is kinda ... werid!

What I am saying is the picture quality being horrendous had nothing to do with the channels themselves. IT was the same quality over every channel that was owned by the same company.

If you went to say channel 710 it was much better quality. I think they rebroadcasted the internet feed which would have caused the horrible quality.

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ
I watched it on HBO. It wasn't much better. They over compress the channels.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Jmartz
I still know plenty of people who have CRT Tube televisions and still all work fine. I don't think we're quite at that point yet to get rid of the SD channels.

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ
A lot of SD channels are in 16x9 already. So if CV eliminated SD ESPN it would save bandwidth. They could down rez the channel in house for the SD boxes.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
said by Jmartz:

A lot of SD channels are in 16x9 already. So if CV eliminated SD ESPN it would save bandwidth. They could down rez the channel in house for the SD boxes.

To save Bandwidth from the headend to the box, which is the important bandwidth, you would need to res the channel at the box. Do the SD boxes have the ability to take a 16X9 picture and change the resolution?
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
That's never been an option either in the SARA guide or the current Onyx guide.

ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to Jmartz
Didnt all the SD channels get eliminated ? On my system ESPN is in HD only.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
You can't tune to them on an HD box, but the channels are still dedicated frequencies for those with SD boxes, who will get the SD versions.

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ
said by frdrizzt:

You can't tune to them on an HD box, but the channels are still dedicated frequencies for those with SD boxes, who will get the SD versions.

That's what they should eliminate. ESPN-HD and ESPN-SD are the same thing. People with tube TV's and an SD box are getting ESPN in 16x9 which is the HD feed just put into SD with bars on the top and bottom. -- A lot of channels have switched to 16x9 on their SD station, so it makes me wonder if there is a need for both to co-exist. SD viewers are slowly being pushed to 16x9... so why not just auto-tune everyone to HD and let the box downrez.. it already does.

cvhater

@optonline.net
If cv can make the HD boxes work as well as the old sd boxes then they could get rid of sd.... hd boxes are slow as hell on channel changing... sd is terrible bit hd is even worse!