Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

Investigation is throwing good $ after bad

The West Virginia Legislative Auditor wants to know who signed off on the state's decision to buy $24 million in Internet routers with federal stimulus funds and how the purchase benefited taxpayers.

Legislative Auditor Aaron Allred has given Homeland Security director Jimmy Gianato until Dec. 21 to answer 16 questions and nine informational requests about the state's use of a $126.3-million federal stimulus grant designed to expand high-speed Internet in West Virginia.
At Tuesday's meeting, state lawmakers also questioned whether the state would finish the broadband expansion project by the federal government's Jan. 31 deadline. The state has to complete the project by then, or risk losing any unspent funds.
Williams also asked why the state was spending $50 million -- $20 million more than budgeted -- of the stimulus grant to upgrade a wireless tower network used for emergency communications.

The article mentions nothing about VZ. The state politicians are trying to abdicate their responsibility for the fiasco by blaming the feds for their over budget, behind schedule "project." I use the term "project" loosely because there is apparently no planning or accountability at the state level, hence this investigation. Next will come the drawn-out lawsuits that are really an attempt by state officials to save face

I'm not holding my breath for an audit about how effective stimulus the rest of the $800+ billion in stimulus $ was spent.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by hoyleysox:

I'm not holding my breath for an audit about how effective stimulus the rest of the $800+ billion in stimulus $ was spent.

The broadband stimulus pgm was never meant to improve broadband. It was meant to goose the economy and also act as political payoffs by sprinkling money around to friends of pols.