Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GlazedHam

join:2004-04-28
Milford, CT

Social Media in the Workplace

Hi all,

The marketing department here now wants our office to get a facebook, twitter and LinkedIn social media page. The are expecting after a meeting with the owners tomorrow that they will agree that we need these social media type of advertisements now and.... all of the office workers will be granted to all these social media webpages which are currently blocked by the firewall. I am looking for reinforcement matrial that will help me with reasons as to why we should not open these types of sites to everyone on our work computers. So looking for feedback all!

For those of you that do have social media sites like this for their office, how do you let them update/post items when the sites are blocked?

Over 80% of our office uses notebook computers and takes them home to work after hours. Should we be allowing people to use office computers to access these types of sites on their own or other WIFI connected networks with these computers? if not, how do I stop them?

Thank you for any and all feedback you can give me on this subject.

Happy Holidays ~

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

2 recommendations

They are open here, not blocked. They could have opened them for marketing only but did not.

The issue is a personnel one, not a technology one. If people are spending too much time on these their manager should be taking care of the problem, not technology.

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by donoreo:

The issue is a personnel one, not a technology one. If people are spending too much time on these their manager should be taking care of the problem, not technology.

Completely agree!
--
»www.caryontech.com

BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to donoreo
Edit: Replying to OP, not donoreo See Profile

said by donoreo:

Again - for emphasis...

--

On a related note - depending on your policy with personal devices (not the mobile company ones), I've created a separate wi-fi only network users can use for their personal items. Throttled and heavily restricted (time limits, port 80 only), it doesn't touch our internal network - so if they want to go ahead and waste away on it - more power to them.

When things don't get done, you can provide logs on individual users showing management how much time they spend on particular stuff.

If management wants to go full blown open up the gates - get it in writing if you're against it and your advice was not heeded.

Oh, and don't forget to include the overhead your dept. will face with dealing with setting up security etc... to monitor this.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to GlazedHam
Social Media can be a good thing. Look at TekSavvy.

I always believed in don't restrict anything. If you don't trust your staff to not be idiots, don't hire idiots.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to GlazedHam
said by GlazedHam:

I am looking for reinforcement matrial that will help me with reasons as to why we should not open these types of sites to everyone on our work computers.

Repeat after me : "how will this increase our productivity / bottom line / etc if we allow you access?" End discussion.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion -- FWIW I'm in agreement with you in that company time and resources are just
that, company time and resources. Let Marketing make their case and leave the final discussion to Upper Management.

Dumb question, what model firewall are you using right now? I'm guessing it has some rudiments of content and
URL filtering present? Depending on the infrastructure, there's ways to permit access to urls to ONLY a subset
of users.

My 00000010bits

Regards