All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to medbuyer

to medbuyer

Re: [Rant] ownyourmodem.com

I think that's a different type of issue.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by NoHereNoMo:

I think that's a different type of issue.

if you're replying to me....

maybe different issue but directly related and affects how they handle modems...
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Only the service provider is entitled to own and hook-up service or make provision for such. On the other hand, anyone is allowed to own a modem and sell it off if and when they no longer want or need it. As such, one has no specific reason to presume that the modem they purchase anywhere is "stolen" (except when they do--when buying from sites and sellers who have a history of selling stolen property, such as this one apparently).

And, really, Comcast is so concerned about some cheap (used now) modem that it's willing to blow off customers willing to give them a bundle of money every month amounting to more than the modem is now worth? (Actually, I guess this isn't at all surprising from an ISP that continually charges customers a modem rental fee even when they've been using a modem they legally own and are on record with Comcast as owning.) They should simply reclaim it into their system and credit the new/existing customer with a finder's fee and move on... build up some good will. (Yeah, sure--I'm holding my breath as I type.)
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by NoHereNoMo:

Only the service provider is entitled to own and hook-up service or make provision for such.

I agree with you...
said by NoHereNoMo:

On the other hand, anyone is allowed to own a modem and sell it off if and when they no longer want or need it.

Completely agree...except that some buyers turn out to be the wrong people that modems shouldn't be on their hands...
said by NoHereNoMo:

As such, one has no specific reason to presume that the modem they purchase anywhere is "stolen" (except when they do--when buying from sites and sellers who have a history of selling stolen property, such as this one apparently).

I don't see anywhere mentioning that the site was selling stolen modems. I did say that the seller may have gone on a flea market, ebay or craigslist shopping spree and tried to turn it around on his site to unsuspecting buyers. Again, with that site not knowing the full condition of the modem and neither Comcast.
said by NoHereNoMo:

And, really, Comcast is so concerned about some cheap (used now) modem that it's willing to blow off customers willing to give them a bundle of money every month amounting to more than the modem is now worth? (Actually, I guess this isn't at all surprising from an ISP that continually charges customers a modem rental fee even when they've been using a modem they legally own and are on record with Comcast as owning.) They should simply reclaim it into their system and credit the new/existing customer with a finder's fee and move on... build up some good will. (Yeah, sure--I'm holding my breath as I type.)

customer who bought from legit stores and got legit modems can activate it with their comcast service and that's been well documented here specially those who want to avoid paying the equip. fee of $7. they key to it is making sure you return their modem and document that return or have a receipt to back it up. Comcast does have issues with customer returning their modems.

Comcast is running a business and you are basically agreeing by paying a monthly to subscribe to their service....if you don't like who they run their business, you can look somewhere else...

again, this whole thing won't happen if buyers like the OP would do a little research...
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Yeah, I don't think most sites/sellers promote their products as stolen. But, yeah, some little research will show which ones really are not reputable, if not out and out thieves.

Modems are the least of my concerns about returning to Comcast.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by NoHereNoMo:

Yeah, I don't think most sites/sellers promote their products as stolen.

of course they wont....they're actually returns just like what the OP said...why do you keep on thinking it's stolen?
said by mainesail:

The Comcast technician told me that a lot of these modems come from people who really don't care about their credit score. They walk away from their Comcast service without returning the modem and just take whatever ding their credit score takes.

said by NoHereNoMo:

and you're contributing to it by not returning it...
said by pflog:

These people are dumb beyond comprehension to think $75 is worth the ding to their credit, all while committing fraud.

and get a ding in your credit score for a modem that costs $75 just like pflog See Profile said...
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Because "stolen" is how Comcast for the most part views them? (But that wasn't actually what I was talking about.)

You're not talking to me, right? 'cause I returned Comcast's modem to them. And I do view not returning someone else's property as "theft". (I also still have both of my own modems.)
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by NoHereNoMo:

Because "stolen" is how Comcast for the most part views them? (But that wasn't actually what I was talking about.)

they might be after Comcast sees people not returning them...
said by NoHereNoMo:

You're not talking to me, right? 'cause I returned Comcast's modem to them. And I do view not returning someone else's property as "theft". (I also still have both of my own modems.)

I was replying to what you said...
said by NoHereNoMo:

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

I think he meant he has other concerns about returning to Comcast as a customer.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by pflog:

I think he meant he has other concerns about returning to Comcast as a customer.

said by NoHereNoMo:

his statement made it sound like he's a customer..
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo to pflog

to pflog
said by pflog:

And we have a winner!! Yes, that's what I meant (thank you), and while I thought it was clear, I suppose I can see how what I said was misinterpreted. (This is a forum after all and posters do drop words and typo all the time--even me [though rarely(?) ].)

Anyway, not a customer right now -- was a customer at one time -- have been thinking about the possibility of returning via one of their promotions... and here we are.