dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

voip.ms Toronto servers

Anyone else getting the crap kicked out of them by the ongoing, seemingly incessant network issues experienced by voip.ms in the Toronto data center?

Dates for network issues and packet loss so far, excluding a bunch in October:

Nov 20, 22, 25, 27, Dec 6, 8, 13

Usually, severe packet loss resulting in degraded communications and dropped calls.

Unfortunate, as voip.ms has been more than reliable for so long, and now.... man.... hate to say it, but I'm becoming disenchanted.

Mike

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

I've been using newyork and chicago voip.ms servers for the last 3-4 years b/c I've always had issues with Toronto. It's not even in Toronto, it's at some cheapo DC in Hamilton called Carat Networks.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Oh fuck, great.

Well, I'm tempted to try the Montreal servers. I used the Seattle server last week for a few days and it was crap - call quality suffered.

Man what a PITA. Dammit.

Mike

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

twizlar to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
Voip.ms uses carat networks to host their toronto server. They have been getting constant DDoS attacks for many months now. Their services are routinely down throughout the day due to this. Switch to the montreal or chicago server for better reliability.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
I've been having lots of issues with Voip.ms in general. Have myself and 3 friends on them. 2 use an asterisk pbx, 2 are on spa-2102's.

All of us have had intermittent issues where incoming calls are not coming in, or we intermittently hear silence on the line, or audio drops out for a second or two then comes back.

The spa's are before the firewall so it's not a port issue. The asterisk boxes are behind a firewall but I have the normal port ranges forwarded.

I moved all of them over to chicago today, and put a backup in for montreal. will see if it improves.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to twizlar

Premium Member

to twizlar
Does this mean the Hamilton DC is also a poor location to Co-Locate with Carat?

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

said by zacron:

Does this mean the Hamilton DC is also a poor location to Co-Locate with Carat?

Absolutely. Their network has gone to garbage since the company was sold last year.

zacron
Premium Member
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

That's incredibly disappointing. I was very impressed when I was there (for what the place was). It was rather unfortunate the key man behind the launch was brought into a suit over the use of the legal business name (trademark).

What's a good local place now? I was looking to re-colocate some Dell R410's for another project I am involved in... I'm looking to just set em and forget em as they are already in-service with Beanfield Metro Connect... Just looking for somewhere more cost effective and that will let me pre-pay a year in advance and let me have a small discount for a 3 or so year term.

Zacron
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
Yup, I'm bailing. This is too annoying.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

It's truly annoying. This has been going on for weeks. Major problems first started occurring in October.

I think voip.ms needs to take the hint and get their shit out of there before it's starts costing them oodles of business.

Moving all my shit yet again. FML.

Mike

BliZZardX
Premium Member
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

The voip.ms in Toronto has been troublesome for a loooooong time, they keep moving their server around, it used to be some other cheap DC before Carat. IMO if voip.ms wants Toronto presence it should be with a first grade colo facility/carrier like Beanfield: »bgp.he.net/AS21949#_peers. They have enough customers to warrant it. Until then I'm going to use the New York (Voxel DC) and Chicago (Ubiquity DC), those are both less than 25ms, have amazing connectivity, and rarely have issues.

hagbard72
join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

hagbard72 to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
just a word of warning if you switch to a US server. I discovered when my daughter consumed something she shouldn't have that not all emergency numbers are going to work (eg: Poison Control) if you use a server outside the country. That's why I switched back to Toronto from Chicago.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
Brantford, ON

twizlar to BliZZardX

Premium Member

to BliZZardX
They have been with carat since they opened service in Toronto I believe. Carat used to be located in a different DC, that is probably the one you are talking about.

The main problem is that carat hosts quite a few torrent sites and they get DDoS'd all the time. Other than the DDoS's their network has decent transit.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX to hagbard72

Premium Member

to hagbard72
@hagbard, believe that is configurable from the control panel. Under Main menu > Account settings, make sure your toll free termination is set to Canadian carrier

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Tig

to Tig
said by Tig:

Yup, I'm bailing. This is too annoying.

The montreal2 server has been solid for me for a very long time.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by silvercat:

The montreal2 server has been solid for me for a very long time.

I just moved all my shit to montreal2. Total PITA.

If I have to move again, I'll be moving to another provider sorry to say. I've been a strong advocate for voip.ms for quite a while. They need to pony up now and earn it.

Mike
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

I've been with Montreal2 since shortly after I started using Voip.ms in 2011 because the Toronto connection even then was crap (and I live in Mississauga, literally a stone's throw from Toronto and not all that far from the Carat office in Hamilton)

NefCanuck

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
Chicago and Dallas are the two servers that I use, and the only reason I use Dallas for one of my DIDs is because it seems to work better for faxing than Chicago.

I learned early on that Toronto was not something worth touching. The rest, including Montreal and Montreal2, have been fine.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
I've had nothing but issues with Toronto and Montreal, rock solid with Chicago. Constant echo, no ringing weirdness. All gone on Chicago.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The only issue I've had with Montreal2 is registration drops with an SPA-112, but seeing as how the SPA-112 is a piece of shit and all of them I had in service have been replaced with Obi202s that haven't exhibited the same issue, I am unsure if it is a server problem or just part of the SPA-112 being a piece of crap.
vonSchroeder
join:2004-11-12
Hamilton, ON

vonSchroeder to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
According to a voip.ms staff post in a thread from the VOIP Tech Chat forums they are in the process of moving the Toronto POP to a different provider.

See »Re: [Voip.ms] Voip.ms Toronto datacentre is down
said by MartinM:

We're currently in discussion with a new data center provider in Toronto and deal should be done by next week.

Our Toronto provider has not been up to customer expectation and therefore we're moving to a new one.

I can understand customer frustration and we're taking action about it.

Vomio
join:2008-04-01

Vomio to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
I've been using the Chicago server for probably a year or so, for me when I tested it had far less latency than Toronto or Montreal.

In my case emergency service is not a concern as I use a land line for local in and out.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

I'm in metro NYC but use the Houston or Atlanta servers, which have been fine.

---------------

There is a lot more to VoIP quality than simply server ping.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Well, I'm tempted to try the Montreal servers. I used the Seattle server last week for a few days and it was crap - call quality suffered.

I use the Seattle service in a number of cities including Toronto and I haven't had any significant issues with it. As long as the latency from your location to the server isn't ridiculous it shouldn't be an issue.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
man I've been on the TO sever and sometimes I have issues. Now when I change my server I can't get incoming calls it just rungs busy. any idea WTF is going on? I changed back to the TO server and can get calls fine now.

zacron
Premium Member
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

You have to route your DIDs to the New PoP (aka: Seattle)

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
Takes several stages.

Route DIDs to new server.
Point devices/softphones to same server.
Add voicemail greetings ( they get wiped every move ).

All mine are on montreal now, because for some reason montreal2 produces timeouts on my softphone and I need all DIDs on the same server so extensions work.

P.I.T.F.A.

Mike

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to zacron

Premium Member

to zacron
yeah I changed it on my ATA.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
Another vote for the Montreal server. I find it much more reliable than Toronto. Although occasionally I get dead air when I try to dial out or I have to say hello an extra time or two when answering a call. It's about an extra 1000Km round trip to go from Toronto to Montreal. Although probably it doesn't make that much of a difference hopefully.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by graniterock:

Another vote for the Montreal server. I find it much more reliable than Toronto. Although occasionally I get dead air when I try to dial out or I have to say hello an extra time or two when answering a call.

Yeah I get the dead air and the extra "hellos" too. But that's just lately. Never used to happen.

IMNSHO, service quality with voip.ms has actually deteriorated recently. Technical issues... less then stellar and somewhat laggy support...

I find myself less happy than I was.

If it continues, I'm going to shop around. I like the features and ridiculously low prices voip.ms offers, but if they're coming now at the price of reliability I'll take a pass.

Mike