Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to TomTor2

Re: voip.ms Toronto servers

said by TomTor2 :

Not sure why people complain so much on SPA-122. I have one and it has been working perfectly for the last 3 months or so. I have two separate lines on it (both use voip.ms) and no problems at all. What kind of problems do you experience with it, exactly? Maybe a firmware upgrade would help? Also, make sure you configure it exactly as explained on voip.ms wiki, especially the timeout part.

Yes, I know what I'm doing and I've had more than one in service that have exhibited identical problems. Always update the firmware. They're pieces of shit, end of story. I am not the only one who feels this way either. Go search the VoIP forum here or through Google and you'll see the complaints are not limited to just me.

Furthermore, if it was an issue on my end, I would have exhibited the same issues with the Obi202. I do not. Therefore, the rest is obvious - avoid the SPA-1x2 series ATAs like black death!

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to dillyhammer

man thank god for this thread. phone has been an asshole for the last two weeks. changed servers all seems to be good now.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by TomTor2 :

Not sure why people complain so much on SPA-122. I have one and it has been working perfectly for the last 3 months or so. I have two separate lines on it (both use voip.ms) and no problems at all. What kind of problems do you experience with it, exactly? Maybe a firmware upgrade would help? Also, make sure you configure it exactly as explained on voip.ms wiki, especially the timeout part.

Yes, I know what I'm doing and I've had more than one in service that have exhibited identical problems. Always update the firmware. They're pieces of shit, end of story. I am not the only one who feels this way either. Go search the VoIP forum here or through Google and you'll see the complaints are not limited to just me.

Furthermore, if it was an issue on my end, I would have exhibited the same issues with the Obi202. I do not. Therefore, the rest is obvious - avoid the SPA-1x2 series ATAs like black death!

I upped the input current to 2.5A and it's working like a charm

Zacron
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by zacron:

I upped the input current to 2.5A and it's working like a charm

Seriously? Wow.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

Ya, the power supply that comes with it seems to be under current as I slowly upped the current to it with my bench supply until I was able to make it work properly with a typical handset until I finally put a little more than it's rated for.

I don't have a schematic for the thing but to my recolection when I opened it up, it was ok with the changes.

Giver a try, might help BUT some other revisions MIGHT be built differently... so beware of this.

Zacron
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Yeah, it might be worthwhile. If a higher current power adapter resolves all the issues, the SPA-112 really wouldn't be all too bad.

sil

join:2007-06-30
ON
reply to dillyhammer

thanks for this thread... i've been having instability and didn't realize it could be a server issue... i've migrated off the toronto servers, thanks again

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by sil:

thanks for this thread... i've been having instability and didn't realize it could be a server issue... i've migrated off the toronto servers, thanks again

I know right I had people calling me and the call being dropped when when I picked up and it would ring on my side like 5 times on the other like 2 times. changed servers all is good now.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to dillyhammer

FWIW over the next few weeks I will be porting the numbers I manage from voip.ms to fongo (freephoneline), dropping voip.ms, and routing all international calls through a callwithus trunk - they have the best INTL rates I've seen anywhere.

Before I had all 3 in a filter on my PBX that selected the least-cost-route for each call, but voip.ms just became redundant when CWUS is giving the same or cheaper + free toll-free calling.

I didn't do this sooner because I was still testing out freephoneline. Happy to report I've only experienced 2 short outages since I signed up this summer.

In the end no one really needs more than 2 trunks - one for free local calling and one for cheap * reliable international.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

4 edits
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by dillyhammer:

said by BliZZardX:

I am a huge fan of the Panasonic KX-TGP55 deskphone + handsets.

$250 for the set, $80 a pop on the handsets.

That's $410+HST out of the box for my deployment. Do you know how much single malt scotch that is?

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Mike

About 2 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue.
I have an unopened one here, just waiting for a few friends to drop by......

It depends how you use your phones, ah? From my perspective, I'm saving hundreds a month by not paying Bell POT's extortionist LD rates when I call an overseas mobile ($0.025/min to SFR Mobile at CWUS vs. $1.39/min at Bell), so the cost of a real IP phone is dirt cheap.

I have tried quiet a few hardware phones, always purchased through 8774e4voip. If you just need a basic deskphone, I found the snom 710 has the best value/features. If you need cordless handsets for a household I really dig the Panasonic's long term value because they don't have proprietary battery packs and are super easy to replace. The cheapest I see, you can get a TGP500 with 3 TPA50 handsets for $335 with shipping via UPS from 8774e4voip, or $355.50 from "CE Showroom" on Amazon. Can also save about 40 bucks COD if the sellers will ship with USPS instead of UPS ($8 brokerage fee at Canada Post vs $51.20 at UPS).

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Yeah, the Obi ATAs blow any of the new Cisco junk out of the water. I run the 202s myself. I had all sorts of issues with the connection randomly dropping (even during calls) and often times not reconnecting until the ATA was rebooted. Ocassionally had one-way audio issues, the wonderful multiple "Hello Hello" when a call came in, etc. Replaced them with Obi202s, and not only have the voice lines been 100% solid and not dropped once with all of the CQ issues resolved, but the fax has been 100% reliable - and even at 33.6 - when it was 50/50 with the Ciscos. I seriously don't know how they can sell those pieces of shit.

The Obi is great... I like that I can remotely change settings with it too. I do get the Hello hello occationally still. But I blame voip.ms but would be willing to conceed it could be a connection issue but I feel this is unlikely.

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
reply to dillyhammer

Chicago has been rock solid, until now. Chicago was down for an hour or so this morning. Support confirmed they did emergency maintenance.
Appears to be back to normal now.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I've been using Dallas for voice in addition to fax for the last few weeks. It's been working well.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to GreenEnvy22

I've actually switched back to the Toronto servers. Looks like they've been re-provisioned elsewhere, and seem solid.

No sooner had I moved everything over to the Montreal servers, they got all wonky too. Dropped calls. Some minor packet loss.

Everything seems to be fine now [knocks on wood].

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

They're moving their Montreal servers too. Got the email a day or two ago about it.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

Yeah. The montreal servers went offline (early, before the short-notice scheduled change) last evening, leaving us without phone service until we noticed a few hours later.

Now on the Chicago servers, until they start fiddling with those. Ugh.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by mlord:

Now on the Chicago servers, until they start fiddling with those. Ugh.

Fiddling is already scheduled for the Chicago servers, for Jan 22 after 1am, just got the email notification. FYI.

Mike
--
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by dillyhammer:

Fiddling is already scheduled for the Chicago servers, for Jan 22 after 1am, just got the email notification. FYI.

Mike

I've been getting emails all week about their fiddling. I hope it settles down soon, if not when my credit expires I'm moving on.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by El Quintron:

I've been getting emails all week about their fiddling. I hope it settles down soon, if not when my credit expires I'm moving on.

Yeah man. I'm pretty miffed myself. I've been looking around, but not too seriously. Yet.

Mike
--

graniterock

London, ON

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with them switching to another provider (as discussed on this thread or somewhere else on this board?)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by graniterock:

Does anybody know if this has anything to do with them switching to another provider (as discussed on this thread or somewhere else on this board?)

Probably, but either way a proper contingency would have been nice. I'm glad I have a land line right now.

--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

graniterock

London, ON

Agreed... I forgot to power cycle the phone in the morning and wife was without service until I got home. Not really sure why they couldn't keep services going at the old IP address for 24 hours or so until people propagated over.

knightdsl

join:2013-01-19
Kanata, ON
reply to dillyhammer

This is an awesome thread. I have tried Toronto and Montreal after I started Voip last week before I settled on the Tampa server a couple of days ago. So far no issues.